Woulda, coulda, shoulda

1oldwrestler

I know i ruffle a few feathers when i get on certain peoples comments on this website regarding a teams performance either in a dual or invitational format when they appear to be making excuses for a loss. Frankly, ive always been pretty black and white when it comes to losing and ive tried to instill that in my boys. Did you end up with a w at the end of the match? If you didnt you didnt deserve to win. Get back to practice and get better. Talking about how if this certain kid would have just not given up a point in the last five seconds of a match and not gone to ot and then not lost. Well hell$ bells, if ifs and nuts were candies and nuts everyday woumd be Christmas.  YOU LOST! And no amount of mental gymmastics is going to change that. Why even get on here and try to explain it? It serves no purpose other than to make you feel better about your teams loss.

I disagree.  I preach to our wrestlers that every match counts & every POINT counts. We have lost 2 Dualsthis season by 1 point, & in those Duals we gave up at least one major decision, that 1 match isn't the reason the Team lost but It's a team effort to fight for every point u can either earn or nor give up

In wrestling scores can be misleading, sometimes Duals are. Lot closer the the end score indicates. Every pin is essentially a 12 point swing, so after duals u look back as coaches & see what u could have done dufferntlt to win, u look at pins givet up, major decisions, & u look at how that could have changed the dual.

It's not about making excuses its about analyzing every match & seeing where u can improve & get betterfor the next dual or match

I disagree.  I preach to our wrestlers that every match counts & every POINT counts. We have lost 2 Dualsthis season by 1 point, & in those Duals we gave up at least one major decision, that 1 match isn't the reason the Team lost but It's a team effort to fight for every point u can either earn or nor give up

In wrestling scores can be misleading, sometimes Duals are. Lot closer the the end score indicates. Every pin is essentially a 12 point swing, so after duals u look back as coaches & see what u could have done dufferntlt to win, u look at pins givet up, major decisions, & u look at how that could have changed the dual.

It's not about making excuses its about analyzing every match & seeing where u can improve & get betterfor the next dual or match

Every pin is definitely not a "12 point swing."  If that were the case, it would mean that your wrestler would have had to avoid the pin and then pin the wrestler that pinned him, which in the large majority of matches that end with a fall would never happen.  Most often, giving up a pin is a one or two point swing, as the wrestler that got pinned would do well to only give up a major or a tech.

And at the same time, for every bonus point that your team could have avoided giving up, there is another match that could have gone differently in favor of your opponent.  Emphasizing not giving up bonus points and making smart decisions throughout a dual is definitely a worthwhile effort for a coach.  However, I think the OP was referring to fans who are simply making excuses for their team after a loss. 

Every pin is definitely not a "12 point swing."  If that were the case, it would mean that your wrestler would have had to avoid the pin and then pin the wrestler that pinned him, which in the large majority of matches that end with a fall would never happen.  Most often, giving up a pin is a one or two point swing, as the wrestler that got pinned would do well to only give up a major or a tech.

im talking team scores they get the pin 0-6, we get the pin 6-0, 12 point swing in the dual score & most of our big guys dont get a lot of majors when they pin or get pinned the scores r almost always 1-2 points difference or tied, we have sadly given up majority of our pins when r wrestler has the lead  :(

And at the same time, for every bonus point that your team could have avoided giving up, there is another match that could have gone differently in favor of your opponent.  Emphasizing not giving up bonus points and making smart decisions throughout a dual is definitely a worthwhile effort for a coach.  However, I think the OP was referring to fans who are simply making excuses for their team after a loss.   

I agree, it was about making excuses. Why bother posting your losses if in every post you feel you must justify why your team lost. Every dual match has something that could have happened to turn one of the bouts the other way, or one of the teams may have a wrestler wrestling sick, injured, or had to use a back up wrestler for one reason or another. Bottom line is BOTH teams are rarely 100% in every weight class but as stated by the U.S.M.C you need to improvise,adapt ,and overcome !!!!!  NO EXCUSES !!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.