Best Team Ever!

Devils27

09-10 Mishawaka vs. 02-03 Mater Dei:

103: Grant Martsolf, Regional Qualifier vs. Brian Bittner, State Qualifier (4-0 Mater Dei)

112: Paul Beck, 2nd vs. Bryan Williams, 6th (4-3 Mater Dei)

119: Layten Binion, 7th vs. ??? (4-7 Mishawaka)

125: Taylor Wisler, 8th vs. Craig Macke, 3rd (7-7 Tie)

130: Nick Schrader, 4th vs. Matt Coughlin, 2nd (10-7 Mater Dei)

135: Matt Guerra, 4th vs. Aaron Scott, 3rd (13-7 Mater Dei)

140: Anthony Eddy, SS Qualifier vs. ??? (13-10 Mater Dei)

145: Darius Marshall, SS Qualifier vs. Craig Weinzapfel, 1st (17-10 Mater Dei)

152: Ryan Stahl, 4th vs. Dustin Nosko, 1st (20-10 Mater Dei)

160: Alex White, SS Qualifier vs. Sam Wildeman, 1st (24-10 Mater Dei)

171: Richard Morin, 6th vs. Blake Mauer, 1st (27-10 Mater Dei)

189: Danny Abu-Shehab, State Qualifier vs. ??? (27-13 Mater Dei)

215: Christian Lentz, 2nd vs. Thomas Unfried, State Qualifier (27-16 Mater Dei)

285: Travis Thomas, 3rd vs. ??? (27-20 Mater Dei)

Looks to me like Mater Dei would take 8 out of the 14 matches, with 135, 140 and possibly 189 being tossups.  It would probably come down to Mishawaka being able to avoid giving up bonus points to Mater Dei's studs.  Definitely a dual I'd pay to see.

You have Coughlin, Maurer, and Macke only getting 3 and Weinzy and Wildeman getting 4.  I could see them all getting 5 or 6 each.  Mater Dei rarely gave up pins. 

I would agree...as hard as it is to discuss these "dream matches" mater dei is known for being good enough to not give up big points and keep matches close. I think Wisler is able to stay of his back and not give up bonus points dude was one of the best scramblers around. Other 2 pinned no question

Well I got that dual not going quite that way got to remember their 140 probably was a semi state qualifier then there 119 was hilderbrand prolly beats binion their 189 was good they probably win all three of those matches it really would be ugly. They would get pinned from 145 to 171 not majored and decisioned I know that for sure maybe could not get pinned at one. My prediction is 3 wins possibly 4 for Mishawka with huge bonus points for MD

Hildebrand lost to Clay Leek in the regional finals. Leek took 7th that year. Binion was a regional runner up to gregory whom he beat at Semi State. placed 7th as well - id still take binion

Nosko v Stahl would be close...you dont get an automatic 6 for being a State Champ, especially when your opponent was a runner up and 4th place finisher.  -nosko still wins but i dont think bonus points

189 ill say toss up abu was a State Qualifier from the hardest SS in the state he wasnt a monster but he had talent, the EMD kid lost to 1 qualifer and a kid who placed 3rd at team state that year (bumped mauer up in the finals) -toss up abu is the favorite tho

regardless of all of that I agree with 3 falls whihc is 9 more points for Emd

Well I got that dual not going quite that way got to remember their 140 probably was a semi state qualifier then there 119 was hilderbrand prolly beats binion their 189 was good they probably win all three of those matches it really would be ugly. They would get pinned from 145 to 171 not majored and decisioned I know that for sure maybe could not get pinned at one. My prediction is 3 wins possibly 4 for Mishawka with huge bonus points for MD

I didn't give either team any pins, as it's hard to predict exactly how the matches would go.  My predictions were more best case scenarios for both teams based on state placement.  And I had no idea how good the kids from Mater Dei who didnt make it to state were, so I gave those matches to Mishawaka just for the sake of argument.  Mater Dei very well may have been able to pick up more bonus points and win those matches.  Either way EMD most likely comes out on top.  A better dual would probably be that Mishawaka team vs. last year's Perry team.  A lot of state placers on both teams but not as many totally dominant wrestlers.

A school that many liked to hate when they were on top is Delta.  The 1980-81 Team was pretty good with

4 state champs, and three young pups who became state champs. Campbell and Ginther did pretty well in NCAA's as well, as

did Palmer

126 Chris Campbell, Delta 30-0 pin Richard Shepherd, Western  29-2-1   Fall 1:57  (Indiana State AA in NCAA)

132 Don Heintzelman, Delta  16-2 Tim Walsworth, Chesterton  29-3        Fall 4:50

155 Greg Gadbury, Delta 32-0 dec  Benedict Puntillo, Highland 28-4       1-0

167 David Palmer, Delta  29-0 dec Roger Reisz, Evansville Reitz  33-2          MD 13-4  (high school Dream team)

4th Place Chris Ruble

Young pups on that team included:

David Locke, Delta future 145 lb champ in 1983-1984

John Ginther, Delta future 177lb state champ 1983-1984 & 1985 (and 3x NCAA AA)

Ron Riggin, Delta future 185 champ in 1983-1984

First, I think the 02-03 MD team was the best of all time.

The team above was pretty salty. I remember the old triple duals with Delta, Cathedral, St. Ed's and Jay County. Didn't Heintzelman wrestle for Notre Dame?

Speaking of these guys, I'm kind of surprised AJ hasn't thrown the 89-90 Muncie South team in the mix. Foreman, Tony Abbott, Wickliffe(sp?), and Jeff Pease. All were All-Americans...maybe all in the finals as cadets. Pease was a Junior Freestyle and Greco national champ.

02-03 Mater Dei without a doubt. I watched that Mater Dei team and it was the most loaded team I have seen in my 20+ years of watching. This Perry Meridian team is in a class of its own but in no way comes close to touching that Mater Dei team. Perry Meridian is definitely this years best team.

And as a Reitz fan it pains me to say that. I watched them beat some close friends. But as a Evansville resident I am proud of their accomplishments.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.