How do coaches deal with this?

pantherfan78

has the coach suggested that timmy drop the 3 and take over the lower weight class?......that would seem like the logical thing to do from both ends......timmy gets to wrestle and they fill a vacant spot......and dad is happy!

I have no idea if the coaches have discussed the options with the wrestlers.  But the point is how do coaches deal with the crap parents put out?

If the young man wants to wrestle and can't break into the line up at the weight he wants to, but wont cut 3 pounds to give his team someone at a vacant spot of the roster, I am not sure how the kids parent can see this as slighting the kid on the coaches part.

I bet the kid would have been really upset to hear his dad talk like that in the first place.  But then Timmy Jr doesn't want to put out the effort to shed 3 pounds for an automatic shot at the varsity line up, assuming there is not ANOTHER reason the coach is holding him out, like attitude or lack of commitment. 

I was just curious how coaches have learned to deal with this sort of thing.  It would drive me over the edge in about a day.  Being there for the kids, and the commitment most coaches show to the sport is outstanding, but not strangling and idiot parent must be something in the DNA.

The problem is actually the parents.   I think the kids understand the "pecking order" and the process used to set the varsity roster.   

Parents tend to get wrapped up in the "Why is Timmy Jr not out there?" mode and not looking at the facts.  Timmy Jr is JV behind a kid that has made it to the State Tourney 3 years in a row and basically owns every kid in the room.  Timmy Jr is also 3 pounds above the next weight class and we could use someone there who is motivated to perform.   It's a Win Win Win ... But Timmy Sr wants to make it out to be a huge issue of personalities and slights with the coaches and program in general.

I was honestly ready to belt the guy for being such a cry baby.

Look him square in the eye tell him to have his kid challange for the spot if he wins he gets it if he looses he aint good enough its that simple. Trust me I had the same problem many years ago I applied this method and never heard about "Timmy" being slighted again. as a matter of fact i never had to deal with "timmy Sr" much at all after that the meets became alolt more enjoyable LOL!!

Take it from me let the coaches work there magic and let the kids do their best on the mat and leave it alone. My son wrestled for the best coaches in the state and I always put alot of pressure on my son cause I coached him from day 1, at 5yrs old. HS is a different ball game, wish I would of just sat in the stands and shut my mouth. So parents take it from me 99% of HS coaches are doing the right and fair thing and know whats best. Unfortunatly it took my son to leave the team for me to realize this and he was a varsity wrestler as a fresh on one of the programs in the state. The kids do there best out there on the mat, coaches as well. Theres no goin back after HS is over. THATS WHY THEY WRESTLE OFF!!

Why not just wrestle the kids off isn't that how everybody figures out the line up?

As basic as the sport is, a reasonable person would believe that it is just that simple.  But for some reason certain parents just refuse to believe their child is NOT the one chosen.

I coached a young man who was a two time state champion for us.  Great kid and grew up to be a wonderful father.  At the end of my career I had the pleasure of coaching his son.  I felt so bad for this kid because it was the opposite of this sort of issue.  The young man's mom and dad just wanted him to enjoy the sport and learn from it.  Other parents in the stand were vicious about why the son was not on the varsity, since his father was so accomplished.

The other parents were incredibly nasty about it and thought it was their job to remind everyone within ear shot that this youngster wasn't nearly as good as his dad had been and how it must have been weak genetics on the boys mother's side (nothing could be further from the truth).  The father and the son handled this with the class and dignity of true champions.  But I was so glad to see that group of parents go!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.