No Love for University Worlds?

This was one of the strongest University world teams I can remember.  I thought the results would be much better.  I thought Reader and Kilgore would win gold or medal.  Sanders beat Escobedo at the Olympic trials.  I think Escobedo had beaten him 5 or 6 times before that. 

Unfortunately, the University Worlds traditionally hasn't been looked at by many top countries in the same light as other high profile events (Worlds and FILA Junior Worlds specifically).  Not sure the level of competition other countries sent for this years competitions, but the normal stigma of the event maybe why it doesn't get as much attention here or on the national boards.  Nice to see a few up and coming guys doing well against any level of world competition though.

Unfortunately, the University Worlds traditionally hasn't been looked at by many top countries in the same light as other high profile events (Worlds and FILA Junior Worlds specifically).  Not sure the level of competition other countries sent for this years competitions, but the normal stigma of the event maybe why it doesn't get as much attention here or on the national boards.  Nice to see a few up and coming guys doing well against any level of world competition though.

This is an event that the U.S. typically takes relatively seriously, but is not emphasized, as Matt said, in other nations as much.  In short, it's a very strong tournament by normal standards for our younger guys to enter, but it's not necessarily an accurate forecast of who will be world or olympic gold candidates.  I don't know if people noticed at the Olympics, but many of the power central asian nations (uzbekistan, kazakhstan, azerbaijan) brought multiple guys aged 19-22.  This is not the case for us.  Our guys don't normally enter their prime until after college when they're full-time freestyle.  Being at university worlds for some of these other nations often just means you're behind on your development and you're going to a 'consolation' tournament.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.