Why we need a Team State Tournament

Fabio Jr.

For those of you who don?t know or remember me (quite possible) my name is Nick Wiesjahn. I wrestled for Mishawaka back in 2003-2007. During that time I had a multitude of success with my team and individually. Punching my ticket to Conseco and competing for a chance to be the best in the state was expected of me. The same went for my team. We made it to Team State every year I was there and it was like that as far back as I can remember.

So when I found out it was being dropped this coming season I got on here and said my part about it being bad and why I thought so and Blah Blah Blah that stuff. I?m sure if I did some digging I could find some actual posts but that just leads to more reading. 

If anyone has been following my college career at the University of Findlay, let me be a little modest. I suck. I think my record this year is 9-17 or something and I never had 10 wins in a season. When I was eliminated from regionals a couple of weeks ago I was heartbroken.  I don?t know what happened in that 5 years that lead me to this point but here I was. In high school I was a nationally ranked kid in High School and I was scraping the bottom of the barrel in college.  Now I?m sitting at my house in Mishawaka watching the Roughnecks wrestle in Colorado and we are currently in 3rd place for the National Championship. And I couldn?t feel any less involved.  Sure you can say ?well duh just get better and work harder.? Ask anyone who knew me in high school I was by far one of the hardest workers in the area if not the state. My work ethic hasn?t changed I still feel I?m in better shape than 95% of my opponents even if they are better wrestlers in general.

As someone who at one point had that individual success it?s easy for me to finally understand how important that Team event meant to the kids who didn?t have the ability to make it the individual tournament and get to give their school a shot at a title and wrestle ?under the lights?.

I don?t plan on this changing anyone?s mind, I just wanted to get this out there while the words were still fresh in my head. IHSWCA and IHSAA need to find a way to work together and bring this back.

Thanks for your time?

Coming from Michigan I find the concept of team state champs being determined by individual tournament to be ridiculous. It does not show who has the best overall team in the state. Richmond had individual state champions this year and they all were quoted as saying that it was awesome to win state but did not compare to the thrill of winning team states.  It's a shame that is not the opinion in Indiana.

i wish i had an answer but the IHSAA says that the team state has run its course.  the bottom line is they flat don't give a darn about wrestling.

The only way it gets changed is for the IHSWCA get their crap together, propose a change, and skip the actual IHSAA commissioners and go to the IHSAA board of directors.  They have the power to vote it back in.

yes,I'm from perry meridian and we are repeat state champs and i look to be varsity as a freshman and to help my team win state but since those freakin coaches took this away from me i don't have much to look forward to. its going to be disappointing when these other teams think they have a shot at individual state and we are still gonna 3peat so think about would u rather perry win state in front of 3oo people or 1,500 people its just mor embarrassing for the other team.so long story short. WE SHOULD KEEP TEAM STATE

yes,I'm from perry meridian and we are repeat state champs and i look to be varsity as a freshman and to help my team win state but since those freakin coaches took this away from me i don't have much to look forward to. its going to be disappointing when these other teams think they have a shot at individual state and we are still gonna 3peat so think about would u rather perry win state in front of 3oo people or 1,500 people its just mor embarrassing for the other team.so long story short. WE SHOULD KEEP TEAM STATE

The argument that it is more embarrassing for other schools is one of the stupidest I have heard from anyone on this message board. And saying you have nothing to look forward to just because they took away team state is pretty sad. Mabey you should look forward simply wrestling on a great team and trying to compete for an individual state title. And I believe there are more than 1,500 people that attend individual state.

Once again, Perry Meridian has no class.  That comment is as classless as coach tonte's pimp suit at Bankers Life.

Once again, Perry Meridian has no class.  That comment is as classless as coach tonte's pimp suit at Bankers Life.

First off the person making these comments is an 8th grader or a a Freshman looking to repeat the 9th grade, put that in perspective as kids speak or in this case type without thinking. To say Perry Meridian has no class is ignorant, the coaches at Perry are some of the most respected in the state and have always helped coach any kid who needed help regardless of school  at ISWA events. This is my sons first year at Perry and I am thankful that he has always had a great coach behind him, even at the elementary age he wrestled for another club and when no coaches were around the Perry coaches have stepped in to coach him. Everyone hates a winner that's why people complain about PM,Cathedral,Roncoli,Mater D,Red Cobra,Cia, Contenders,  and all other successful clubs and schools. With this being said cant we all get along without bashing each other and try to further the sport of wrestling in Indiana.

First off the person making these comments is an 8th grader or a a Freshman looking to repeat the 9th grade, put that in perspective as kids speak or in this case type without thinking. To say Perry Meridian has no class is ignorant, the coaches at Perry are some of the most respected in the state and have always helped coach any kid who needed help regardless of school  at ISWA events. This is my sons first year at Perry and I am thankful that he has always had a great coach behind him, even at the elementary age he wrestled for another club and when no coaches were around the Perry coaches have stepped in to coach him. Everyone hates a winner that's why people complain about PM,Cathedral,Roncoli,Mater D,Red Cobra,Cia, Contenders,  and all other successful clubs and schools. With this being said cant we all get along without bashing each other and try to further the sport of wrestling in Indiana.

Just from a old man in Brownsburg I would have to say that I haven't yet met a coach anywhere (well maybe there is just one that said that if my grandson wasn't going to stay full time he didn't want him)  that wouldn't want any kid in their wrestling room.  The southside of Indy has treated my 5 year old grandson with open arms as well as Brownsburg has and I know that Avon, Danville and Cathedral would as well weather he ever wrestles for them or not.  It seems that they have the philosophy that the more the merrier and none of them seem to treat any of the kids any different.  It is just wrestling man and the way I see it is that a real coach is very happy to teach any kid the gift of wrestling. 

By the way, the only tie that I have with Perry Meridian High School is that I was cruising in Garfield Park back in the early 80's when it was still cool and met my future wife and she just happened to be from Perry in her Plum Purple 72 Duster.  Other than  that, Coach Tonte and his crew has done an outstanding job with Perry.....How anybody can call Perry classless is beyond me...

Being from Mooresville, I hope that Coach Warren can really help turning their program around.  I know that they have been doing well but I would love to see them back on top like they were in the late 70's.

Goosey, if you look at PM's English department, I'll bet that they gave a pretty good grammer and grammer teacher.

That should give you something to look forward to...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.