Wow! Can you imagine a rapport like this?

lpd096

The IHSA (Illinois High School Association) has a wonderful relationship with the wrestling community and is evidenced by their progressive moves toward wrestle backs, etc. Can you imagine having this kind of relationship with IHSAA?

Click on the link below to see just how well they work together:

http://www.illinoismatmen.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42316

Note: Their "Sectionals" are comparable to our Semi-State. It's just semantics.

Wrestling Advisory Committee? Coaches Advisory Committee? Yearly recommendations that are actually acted upon...it goes on and on.

If you watch the two-part video interview with Craig Anderson, you just wonder "Why in the world can't we do this in Indiana"?

Here is an executive with a state's athletic association that is an expert on wrestling because...believe it or not...it's his job!

I would love to see a 2-part interview with anyone from the IHSAA that has just a "small idea" of what wrestling is all about.

you touched on an area that struck me at the very beginning of this wrestling season.  i had been away from the sport of wrestling for a few years.  this past season i joined one of my former athletes as his assistant.  he asked me to attend the state coaches meeting.  i was shocked by the small turn out of coaches from our state.  was this due to apathy or were there other things keeping people away?  i don't remembering seeing any IHSAA members in attendance either.

in years past i've attended clinics hosted by the illinois & ohio coaches association.  they have a very large involved & vocal group.  i'm not a buckeye fan but our neighbors to the east have impressed me with their structuring. http://www.ohswca.com/  i am also a track coach.  at this years coaches we had over 700 coaches in attendance.  the presence of the IHSAA was very strong as it has been in the past.

i'm not sure that the IHSAA will ever give the sport of wrestling the same attention football, basketball, or baseball gets.  however, with a stronger group of coaches in our state when can work on future issues such as wrestle backs, team state, etc... 

Just look at how many teams will go to Disney Duals this year and skirt the rules on the moratorium week. 

When coaches continually try to find ways around the rules the IHSAA will continue to look at us unfavorably. 

Do you have a better alternative to Disney?  Or would the IHSAA consider changing moratorium week for wrestlers?

Our team has been going for several years.  It is a big part of our summer.

Joe, why do you do the things you do sometimes.  As regard to the Disney Duals you are trying to set programs up so that even if they do the right thing there will be doubt.  Two years ago the last day of Disney was the first day of Moratorium week and from what I could gather no rules were skirted as you put it.  Do you have some dirt on someone you would like to share or are you just painting this dreary picture for someone to look at.

Joe, you do some really good things for all kids, our PM kids included,  but I think that you need to look at what you are saying prior to saying it.  It gives people the wrong impression.  If moratorium says you can have contact up to a certain date then are you supposed to stop contact the day before so that the IHSAA looks favorably on you.  Why?  You follow the rule and that is all that is asked. 

I could be jumping the gun and you could have info on a school that I do not have but lets not shoot the horse before its dead.  He may make a good pet for the little kids someday. 

Thanks again for all you do,

Coach T

Great job with Lee by the way

If you are a HS wrestling coach in Indiana, I highly recommend that you take some time and watch this video via the above link with Craig Anderson. (2 part video)

It will be well worth your time. Some great insight into how administrators, coaches, and fans are working together to advance the sport of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.