Is everything on NUWAY or HYWAY a Nationals?

dinubus

I went to the HYWAY site and found very few tournaments period, and most are labelled with "Nationals".  Why are these - Middle man- groups trying to take away from the local events of USAW (and ISWA)?  I have already seen it happen up in Michigan where MYWAY got started by a man who claimed to be disgruntled with USAW and yet he still has everything sanctioned by them.  I like the incremental weight classes of these groups (3 lbs for younger kids, then 4, then 5, etc...) as it is more fair in comparison to their age and actual weights.  However, the age groups don't make any sense (I could see them if it were based off from your year in school, but it is not) and yet you have to pay this middle man mark up on every tournament.  I assume that is why they call most of them Nationals, so people are willing to pay top dollar and some guy can get rich off the process.  I truly hate seeing this ruin the wrestling in Indiana also.  When I wrestled in Michigan, every local tournament I entered had at least 15 kids in my weight class.  Now, there are very few tournaments in the area I used to wrestle and those that have tournaments (MYWAY tournaments) have very few wrestlers show up.  I for one will never take my boys to a MYWAY, HYWAY, or NUWAY tournament.  I will always support the local tournaments and US Olympians through USAW --> Much cheaper, more for your money, better competition overall, better for our future youth, better for the sport all around.

First, I'll admit not being an expert on this info., however, I don't believe HYWAY calls anything nationals, NUWAY is, the way I understand it the national youth wrestling association, made up of hyway, myway, ohway, paway, etc...so, when they NUWAY" host an event, and allow teams from all over the country, PA, OH,IN,MI,TN,IL, etc...it is a "national event"...so it makes sense to me...I'd you allow wrestlers from all over the country and they have to qualify by winning or placing in some local event...you are a National event...doesn't sound like a scam to me...look at ISWA duals for example...you have to live within a 30 mile radius of your club, be in state, community based event....not that there is anything wrong with that, but that is far different than the NUWAY National duals...teams from all over the country, all over each state....hence...it's a National....

I just looked up NUWAY Nationals too....seems for that you must qualify by placing in ohway, midway, myway, Paway state....so again, you have a qualifying, and you have participants from numerous states....so, "National"....

I like the ISWA events, but after awhile, seeing the same kids every weeks for years...I personally like going to all the NUWAY, HYWAY, USAW, OHWAY, Boarder Wars etc....

A national event can be claimed as you say because people from more than one state attend.  Thus, the Kentucky USAW state finals tournament which allows people from Indiana to attend because they would like more competitors to compete would be considered a "National" event.  However, most "Nationals", not including this Indy thing, that you go to under USAW must be qualified for.  Making them worth the extra money.  Of course, even Indy is cheaper than most of these NUWAY national events.  BTW:  How do you get National Youth from NU?  Oh, and back when the Ohio State fair tournament was run in a barn next to the cows (you could actually see them go potty and everything from the stands), it was an International tournament because I hit a kid who was Ontario Providence champion! LMBO

Dinubus,

1. No middleman involved? HYWAY is it's own organization that is sanctioned by itself.

2. NUWAY - National United Wrestling Association for Youth NUWAY website:  http://www.nuwaywrestling.com

3. Leaders from the other state help us constantly build folkstyle wrestling? NO CHARGE?

4. Your statements on sanctioning are false.

5. More wrestling opportunities have to be a good thing at State and National levels.

HYWAY Events coming up  http://www.hyway-wrestling.com/

Northfield Feb. 26

Mishawaka March 4

Carroll Fort Wayne March 11

West Noble March 17

HYWAY STATE March 24 Peru

NUWAY Nationals Battle Creek April 14-15

Team State Mishawaka April 29

Whitko hosts elementary duals on Wednesday nights

Trine University June 8-9

Hope this helps clear things up.

Michigan Folkstyle Wrestling went from about 2,500 kids 12 years ago to nearly 10,000 wrestlers currently in big part to MYWA - NUWAY expanding the support staff with training for Officials, Pairing's and tournament host. I believe over 8 Regions across the State tournament host average about 4,500 wrestlers each weekend.  They were instrumental in helping keep the Olivet College program alive about 6 years ago when things were getting bad and now they are Ranked 7th Nationally in D3. They also made a huge contribution to the reinstatement of wrestling at Alma College both putting out Wrestling-Teachers that are needed to help preserve the future of the sport.  I would say that's just a few of the annual contributions the Michigan Organization makes or gives back to wrestling, besides the supporting hundreds of it's wrestlers to travel nationally.   

Olivet College was kept alive by Coach Jare Klein.  When he finally retired (he coached my uncle and was still coaching while I was in college) he helped find another coach himself.  Obviously as with any small D3 college, wrestling doesn't bring in much money so it staggered with  a new coach, but it was never truly in jeopardy. 

Furthermore, Wrestling in Michigan has dramatically declined since the 80s to early 90s.  I don't know where you think you are getting your facts from (Did Dave Dean feed you this propaganda?), but they are untrue.  Michigan, in the early 90s went from a 3 tier system "A", "B", & "C/D" to a 4 tier Div. I, II, III, & IV which divided schools more evenly into all divisions as prior to that, the number of small schools of "C" & "D" actually outnumbered the schools present in the other 2 divisions.  The new system even allowed smaller schools who won multiple years in a row (like Dundee, of course Cabellas made its population grow as well) to change their Division and schools not doing so well to move down divisions.  With this model in play, the wrestling maintained at the high school level for a few more years.  However, the numbers were not as great as in the late 80s,  MYWAY then started up (and dwindled the USAW numbers) and all the small school areas that held their smaller tournaments which would lead to their kids going to USAW districts, region, and state now no longer had that  opportunity and didn't have the money to join MYWAY.  This has lead to much less off season wrestling in smaller areas.  If you would like to believe that MYWAY increased wrestling, check into the Flint All Starts who were a top ranked kids club in the nation in the late 80s and early 90s.  We had lots of wrestling prior to MYWAY which has really ruined Michigan wrestling.

If you all would like to look into these HYWAY people, please check out this link:  http://www.flowrestling.org/speaker/7388-Andy-Hobbs/video/326975-Andy-Hobbs-Leading-Indiana

Notice everything he said is already present in USAW sanctioned events for much less money per tournament.  Then notice what he says about Dave Dean and his "business strategy".  Little Kid wrestling is not supposed to be about making money.  The tournaments themselves can be used as a fundraiser for the high school they program supports, but it should not be gaining some bigshot in the area Money!  USAW is not for profit.  All of its money goes into training our Olympians and future Olympians out in Colorado Springs.  All of our Junior (and I believe Cadet as well) wrestlers that place in Fargo Nationals can go and train for free at Colorado Springs due to USAW.  What does MYWAY, HYWAY, NUWAY do for our Olympians?  For our high school teams.

dinubus, it's pretty obvious what your goal is as your not the first person to attack Dave Dean and the NUWAY or MYWA Organization.

Anyone can call former and or current Olivet College Coaches and they will give you the facts, former Olivet Coach Todd Hibbs now at Alma College building what will soon be another D3 College powerhouse has shared and expressed his gratitude for what MYWA - NUWAY has done for those programs.  You are correct that many more Michigan Wrestling families use to purchase USAW Cards but Michigan was not getting a return on its investment, many thousands of hard earned Michigan dollars being mailed to Colorado Spring's in the meantime the D1 College programs within the State of Michigan had to do most of its recruiting outside State lines in places like Ohio, or Pennsylvania because Folkstyle Wrestling was not being developed within Michigan.  So yes less Michigan Wrestlers are buying USA Card and Michigan has kept it's money or saved money by purchasing MYWA-NUWAY Membership and re-invested it's dollars in getting better at Folkstyle.  Results have shown with more Mi kids getting recruited and competing in College wrestling then ever before. The numbers don't lie, more D1 NCAA National Qualifiers and All-Americans from Michigan then ever before and higher percentage of wrestlers competing at other levels in College programs.  More National Teams including Youth and High School teams traveling from New York to California competing about 10 months out of the year.

NUWAY just hosted 30 youth teams for a National Duals tournament that offered 4 age based youth divisions that brought teams together from North Carolina, California, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana and I believe if you talk to those folks and ask them what type of experience they had the emails coming in are pretty impressive.  The Results continue to not lie based on participation levels increasing at NUWAY National events in multiple states, continued growth and people reaching out by email and phone calls looking for assistance and a better way for Folkstyle wrestling from numerous States.  We anticipate our April event will attract 1,500 wrestlers from 15-20 States and it's been fun watching the the growth and excitment about Folkstyle Wrestling continue.  You can spin it however you want but just like the young wrestlers that spend time in practice and extra training clinics the ones that are working the most are usually getting the most results.  I think people that are wiling to meet Dave Dean, Andy Hobbs, and many of the other State Directors that include good support and a promising future out of New York's Cornell University one will find that these guy's are real people and have what it takes to help continue making improvements for Folkstyle Wrestling. 

dinubus, it's pretty obvious what your goal is as your not the first person to attack Dave Dean and the NUWAY or MYWA Organization.

Anyone can call former and or current Olivet College Coaches and they will give you the facts, former Olivet Coach Todd Hibbs now at Alma College building what will soon be another D3 College powerhouse has shared and expressed his gratitude for what MYWA - NUWAY has done for those programs.  You are correct that many more Michigan Wrestling families use to purchase USAW Cards but Michigan was not getting a return on its investment, many thousands of hard earned Michigan dollars being mailed to Colorado Spring's in the meantime the D1 College programs within the State of Michigan had to do most of its recruiting outside State lines in places like Ohio, or Pennsylvania because Folkstyle Wrestling was not being developed within Michigan.  So yes less Michigan Wrestlers are buying USA Card and Michigan has kept it's money or saved money by purchasing MYWA-NUWAY Membership and re-invested it's dollars in getting better at Folkstyle.  Results have shown with more Mi kids getting recruited and competing in College wrestling then ever before. The numbers don't lie, more D1 NCAA National Qualifiers and All-Americans from Michigan then ever before and higher percentage of wrestlers competing at other levels in College programs.  More National Teams including Youth and High School teams traveling from New York to California competing about 10 months out of the year.

NUWAY just hosted 30 youth teams for a National Duals tournament that offered 4 age based youth divisions that brought teams together from North Carolina, California, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana and I believe if you talk to those folks and ask them what type of experience they had the emails coming in are pretty impressive.  The Results continue to not lie based on participation levels increasing at NUWAY National events in multiple states, continued growth and people reaching out by email and phone calls looking for assistance and a better way for Folkstyle wrestling from numerous States.  We anticipate our April event will attract 1,500 wrestlers from 15-20 States and it's been fun watching the the growth and excitment about Folkstyle Wrestling continue.  You can spin it however you want but just like the young wrestlers that spend time in practice and extra training clinics the ones that are working the most are usually getting the most results.  I think people that are wiling to meet Dave Dean, Andy Hobbs, and many of the other State Directors that include good support and a promising future out of New York's Cornell University one will find that these guy's are real people and have what it takes to help continue making improvements for Folkstyle Wrestling.   

The most obvious thing here is who is getting paid by NUWAY and therefor willing to come up with stories to protect it.  Statistics don't lie, but liars do statistics - show us these unbiased websites, books, or other research articles that go along with your story.  You come up with a coach that was at Olivet college for what 3 years?  Ask someone with some actual experience like Coach Klein.  Heck, I only took state 1 time in Michigan in class C/D as a Sophomore at 103 lbs, yet I was offered a D1 scholarship to Michigan.  I did not accept as my neck was broken, but that was in the mid 90s and you try to make out like they had less back then??  The Cunningham brothers were from another C/D school in Michigan and I believe it is Ryan who now wrestles on our World team.  This of course would not happen under MYWAY which gets rid of Olympic styles.  But anyway.  You go ahead and milk money out of people under your guise.  I will say no more as I grow tired of your worthless words.  I only post so others here in Indiana know what HYWAY is really about and how it will ruin future wrestling in Indiana. 

Dinubus, I guess most of us don't have an axe to grind with anyone.  It's just more opportunities for kids.  I'd say most, if not all, HYWAY members are USAW members as well.  Not sure how a little competition is such a bad thing.  Most people like having choices...the HYWAY/NUWAY events I've been to were GREAT!

HYWAY hasn't taken off here because Indiana has a top-notch USAW organization that's transparent, responsive, and for the most part, attempts to give the wrestling public what they want. All USAW state organizations are not created equal. We don't have all the problems like, for instance, USAW California has experienced. We don't have a bunch of scumbags stealing money and cooking the books and telling the wrestling community to go pound sand. IMO it's really that simple. NUWAY meets a need in other areas of the country that we simply don't have here.

HYWAY hasn't taken off here because Indiana has a top-notch USAW organization that's transparent, responsive, and for the most part, attempts to give the wrestling public what they want. All USAW state organizations are not created equal. We don't have all the problems like, for instance, USAW California has experienced. We don't have a bunch of scumbags stealing money and cooking the books and telling the wrestling community to go pound sand. IMO it's really that simple. NUWAY meets a need in other areas of the country that we simply don't have here.

HYWA has given more opportunities for wrestlers to wrestle though because of the lower tournament fees and the lower card fees.  In my opinion HYWA and ISWA have worked very well together in the state of Indiana and both are doing a great job here of promoting the sport of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.