"Quality Losses"

XCard

I was a prodigy child graduated from college at age of 15.  She was a cougar!!  ;D  I am still only 16... wrong again dang it!!! 

Anyway what seed does the kid get?  I am curious.

recommend:  put forward something with approval as being suitable for particular purpose ...synonyms:  advise, suggest, counsel

in a sentence:  I would like to recommend this realtor to you when selling your house. 

consider:  to think carefully before making a decision....synonyms:  think, ponder, deliberate

Not the same I have to admit but pretty close... they were threating castration Dude!!!  We dont have to split hairs on this one!!! 

in a sentence:  I would like you to consider this realtor for selling your house. 

KevinL: 15 years, thats amazing ::).  I never took homeEc although I did date a homeEc teacher once in college..... it isnt what it is,  it is  CONSIDERATION... so I used the wrong word are we going to argue semantics?? lets not split hairs here....

Here is a good question for you.

Wrestler finishes 2nd in state as a Junior.  He is injured early in senior season and comes back week before sectional but only has 8 matches non of which are against sectional opponents or common opponents.  He is one weight class above the previous year.  Where is he seeded?  

I look forward to your answer!!!!  Be sure to use that 15years of adult experience and the consideration of criteria listed in the IHSAA 2011/2012 winter bulletin.  I provided below.  

5. Coaches should strive to keep u]open minds [/u] [/size] [/size] [/size] when seedings are being decided.

The main objective of seeding is to have outstanding wrestlers separated in the

brackets so that they will not meet each other until the fi nals. Seeding shall be

based upon the wrestler's proven ability and not upon the desire for unwarranted

advantage.

6. Consideration for determining seeded wrestlers is given in order of importance:

a. Head to head competition; (The wrestler with the most head to head wins

gets the seed. If they have beaten each other an equal number of times,

then the winner of the last match gets the seed.);

b. Record against common opponents;

c. A returning champion or runner-up in the same weight class;

d. A contestant with the best overall record (winning percentage) who has

wrestled at least 10 matches;

NOTE: A wrestler with less than ten matches may not be seeded ahead of a

wrestler with at least ten matches and a winning record unless he/she meets

criteria in a, b or c. A wrestler with a losing record may not be seeded unless

he/she meets criteria a, b or c unless there are less than six (6) wrestlers in the

bracket.

You are right I said Recommended not consideration.  B

He would not be seeded unless there are less than 6 wrestlers who have had at least 10 matches and he has a better record than those with less than 10 matches.  If wrestler 6 is 8-1 and your returning 2nd place finisher is 6-2 he would be behind the other wrestler.

Anyway what seed does the kid get?  I am curious.

recommend:  put forward something with approval as being suitable for particular purpose ...synonyms:  advise, suggest, counsel

in a sentence:  I would like to recommend this realtor to you when selling your house. 

consider:  to think carefully before making a decision....synonyms:  think, ponder, deliberate

Not the same I have to admit but pretty close... they were threating castration Dude!!!  We dont have to split hairs on this one!!! 

in a sentence:  I would like you to consider this realtor for selling your house. 

Answer me this first.

My car was voted the best car in the car lot last year.  It got the best gas mileage of any car in the parking lot.  This year I drove another car for most of the year.

Tell me what car gets the best mileage in the lot.

You cannot tell me that without knowing about the other cars.

The same goes for me.  

If all the others in the bracket are 0-0 and have not even wrestled then you get one answer, if the top five are 25-4 with each having a win against one of hte other five then it could be another.

You cannot pick one person without giving me the remaining field and expect me to make the call.  Most people can recognize that, hopefully your teacher friend can help you comprehend that.

Nope there is a big difference there, not close.  A consideration is not an arbitrary suggestion.

Just because you recommend a realtor to me does not require me to use that realtor.  If you have the authority to give me specific directions for my consideration, then it DOES require me to follow them.

Again with the archaic reference.  When pinned down and forced to defend your point you fall back to the tired old quotes from the Big Lobotomy!!!

He would not be seeded unless there are less than 6 wrestlers who have had at least 10 matches and he has a better record than those with less than 10 matches.  If wrestler 6 is 8-1 and your returning 2nd place finisher is 6-2 he would be behind the other wrestler.

So you are willing to gamble and hope your son or yourself does not draw a returning state placer in the rat-tail round?  That is a gamble that I wouldn't take with my wrestlers as a coach.  There is this thing called common sense and the coaches should seed the kid.

So you are willing to gamble and hope your son or yourself does not draw a returning state placer in the rat-tail round?  That is a gamble that I wouldn't take with my wrestlers as a coach.  There is this thing called common sense and the coaches should seed the kid.

I'm not saying that is what I would do, but according to the guidelines posted earlier that would be the seed as I see it.  I would work to get the kid seeded on the other side of the bracket if possible.

Ok 10 wrestlers... 3 of them have great records say 28-2 29-5 &24-8. The kid who is 24-8 has wins against both others.  4 have decent records 20-10,23-11,15-5 &19-8. The other two not so good 5-25&7-23.  Then our returning state runner up 8-0.

Unless any of the top three kids are state qualifiers or placers, the returning runner-up is the 1st seed.

Thats my line walter!!! 

I have checked with several of my friends who coach and one who is an AD... concensus is and I hate to admit it but Walter is right.  The guidelines in bulletin are there to help coaches who can't agree on who is an "Outstanding" wrestler.  The goal of seeding a tournament is to seperate "Outstanding" wrestlers.  Seeding is not always black and white and the consideration guidelines are not "specific directions" and are not "required" to be followed.  Coaches always have the option to vote on any seeding at a weight class to make sure outstanding wrestlers are seperated. 

KevinL, I am not trying to bash you or demean you, but in this case of seeding... as painful as it is my fat buddy Walter has the best interpretation of the situation. 

And Walter, I've seen y0u golf and obviously your not a golfer either!!  Stick with Bowling!! 

Dude

A "quality" loss, I don't know about the wording, but there are good and bad losses. In my opinion, if a guy goes out and gives it all he has but comes up short it might have been a good loss. If a guy can walk off the mat and say " I did everything I could to win that match.", that's a loss you don't have to hang your head about. If a guy beats you when you're at your best, that loss just makes you better.. Again, just a thought.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.