Friedt 's Magic

faurote

Friedt?s Magic

Next to my parents, John Friedt was the most important and influential individual in my life.  He was a mentor, a friend and a role model for me.  When I took over the program 23 years ago, John had already been involved with Bellmont Wrestling for approximately 14 years.  He had multiple positions such as club coach, middle school coach & assistant high school coach.

I was just out of college and not ready to take over, but it was John Friedt who encouraged me to apply.  Under his guidance, I developed and grew as an individual & coach.

I have been blessed with some great assistant & volunteer coaches.  Paul Gunsett-Elementary PE teacher; Tim Myers-Assistant Principal BMS; and Sean Faurote-Guidance Counselor at BHS.  It is kind of ironic that we all have teaching degrees, but the best teacher out of all of us was John Friedt.

John didn?t have an education degree, but he made an impact on all of us and we are in this field because of his influence.  John was magic!  He had a gift of working and dealing with children of all ages.  When someone was struggling with technique or mental issues, he found a way to get them back on track.  His passion for kids and the sport of wrestling was contagious.  In all my years of coaching, I have made very few decisions without running it by John.  John has been with me for every great moment & disappointment I have had as a coach.

There have been 5 different Head Coaches at Bellmont, but none of us have made a bigger impact on Bellmont Wrestling than John.  There have been 89 state placers in the school?s history and John either wrestled with or coached all but one.  The 3 state titles and 4 runner-up finishes the school has had, John was involved as a coach.

Mary, Dan and Jenny, thank you for sharing John with me and letting him be such a big part of my life.  I am a better coach, father and person because of him.  Bellmont Wrestling will never be the same!

Thanks John, I Love You!

Coach Brent Faurote

I didn't know the man...but I've had to fight back the tears, reading all the accounts of how he affected so many people.

I hope when the Bellmont kids start training for next year, they are doing so in "The John Friedt Wrestling Room."

gamehoss I think that would be a great idea!

On behalf of Mark Kerrn and the Jimtown Wrestling Coaching Staff our thoughts are with all that were close to Coach Friedt.  There are no finer coaches, fathers, husbands, and men.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

What a great name for this post Coach Faurote.  John certainly did have a sence of majic about him.  My story about John is when my son was in elementary school and he was struggling with success on the mat.  I went to John and expected him to work extra hard with my son but rather John just said "Don't worry it will come".  He also gave me a talk about being a father first and to be happy with any success that he may have on and off the mat.  I have thought about this short but pointed discussion many times over the years and must admit today I have a very successful son that makes me very proud.  John you did a lot more than coach wrestling.  I will miss you

Dave Emenhiser

Great description of the impact John had on the program, Coach Faurote.  I will never forget when Ben and I lost our first wrestle-off for varsity our freshman year.  This was when we were still partners.  We didn't want to do crap the rest of practice.  So what did John do?  He came up and tought us the goofiest wrestling move you have ever seen in your life.  It probably wasn't even legal, but it took our minds off of the defeat we just suffered and that was exactly what we needed at that time.  He had the knack. 

Well stated Coach -

My first experiences as a high school wrestler were against wrestlers 4 years older then I & some like John that were dedicated to coming back into the room to make us BELLMONT WRESTLERS. - many a times I left the room literally sobbing at the butt whooping I would take - one person would come into the locker room & talk to me & keep me coming back & that was John Freidt. I will never forget these words " we're making a better wrestler, stick with it ".  

At team regional, when Trav wrestled the Carrol kid, they went out of bounds - as they were walking back to the center - I looked over at John ( standing in the back, like always ) & yelled Travis' name & I saw him give him the " double under " sign. When the whistle blew, Trav went right for it & put him to the mat for the pin. Right call again, John. At the SemiState I had mentioned that to John & he got a big Grin on his face & said " remember givin you the same sign " .

That was  over 30 some years ago. WHAT A LEGACY -  Johns' coaching will live on. Thank You to the entire Freidt family for your endless hours to the sport of Wrestling.

Chris Mahlan

To Coach Faurote and all the Bellmont wrestling family my thoughts and prayers are with you as you mourn the loss of your friend and mentor.  Throughout the years that we competed with the Braves I always knew of Coach Friedt but was never fortunate enough to get to know him on a personal level. 

From reading all of the wonderful tributes and memories shared here it is evident that he was a special man and a huge part of making Bellmont wrestling the great program that it is today.  I have always had the greatest respect for Coach Faurote and his staff and the fierce competitors who represent the Braves each and every year.  Now I know the rest of the story.

May he rest in peace.

Randy Helfrich

Mater Dei Wrestling

Friedt?s Magic

Next to my parents, John Friedt was the most important and influential individual in my life.  He was a mentor, a friend and a role model for me.  When I took over the program 23 years ago, John had already been involved with Bellmont Wrestling for approximately 14 years.  He had multiple positions such as club coach, middle school coach & assistant high school coach.

I was just out of college and not ready to take over, but it was John Friedt who encouraged me to apply.  Under his guidance, I developed and grew as an individual & coach.

I have been blessed with some great assistant & volunteer coaches.  Paul Gunsett-Elementary PE teacher; Tim Myers-Assistant Principal BMS; and Sean Faurote-Guidance Counselor at BHS.  It is kind of ironic that we all have teaching degrees, but the best teacher out of all of us was John Friedt.

John didn?t have an education degree, but he made an impact on all of us and we are in this field because of his influence.  John was magic!  He had a gift of working and dealing with children of all ages.  When someone was struggling with technique or mental issues, he found a way to get them back on track.  His passion for kids and the sport of wrestling was contagious.  In all my years of coaching, I have made very few decisions without running it by John.  John has been with me for every great moment & disappointment I have had as a coach.

There have been 5 different Head Coaches at Bellmont, but none of us have made a bigger impact on Bellmont Wrestling than John.  There have been 89 state placers in the school?s history and John either wrestled with or coached all but one.  The 3 state titles and 4 runner-up finishes the school has had, John was involved as a coach.

Mary, Dan and Jenny, thank you for sharing John with me and letting him be such a big part of my life.  I am a better coach, father and person because of him.  Bellmont Wrestling will never be the same!

Thanks John, I Love You!

Coach Brent Faurote

No one could have said anything better than what you said there...That is why no one will ever come close to influencing me more than the Bellmont coaching staff.

So after an afternoon and evening of talking to Bellmont Alumni Wrestlers, I was asked to spread the word to all former wrestlers to wear their State Medals ( Individual/Team) to the viewing for Coach Friedt. I, as other wrestlers think it would be a great way to pay tribute to a man that not only taught us about wrestling, but taught us about life. So to all former Bellmont wrestlers who were graced with having John Friedt as a coach, help us pay tribute to a man that the tradition of Bellmont wrestling is all about.

"Aim High, The Arrow Will Fly!"

Is there anyone who's wife, girlfriend, mom etc. does any kind of scrapbooking stuff? Reading all of these memories of John I think it would a real treasure if someone could collect them into a nice booklet from the Indiana wrestling community and give to the family. I am in tears reading all the tributes to this man and his legacy.

Our Wrestling Family has lost a member here on earth.  God has placed John a little higher up in the stands to watch and observe all that he has brought upon us.  He will always be with us as a member of the Family.  He will be with the Bellmont Nation even more for all of the young men who have stepped up to represent the Braves.  You will not forget his words , his motions to get the right move and his direction in life for his Family.  I love the Friedt family for all that they provide: past, present and future.  Our prayers and love are with Mary,Dan and Jen.

I will miss my friend.

Richard Jay

Just another perspective of the man.

Thank you John

It isn't easy to write a tribute to a man as fine as John Friedt. It would take an author a poet and sports writer to do him any kind of justice at all. The sports writer will point to successes he had as a wrestling coach. That is easy to do. Signs of achievement line the halls and hang from the rafters of Bellmont High School. State champs, placers, team titles, from sectionals all the way through state. He coached all of them to acheive way beyond their ability. There were also more more kids than you can count that had little to no athletic ability that ended up being pretty dang good too. It can be made all the more impressive by putting a timeline on it and stringing the years together. These alone would be fine accomplishments and worthy of much praise and celebration.

The author and poet would have a much tougher job because they would have to describe those  achievements he attained as a son, a husband, a father, a grandfather, a brother, an uncle, a mentor and a friend and the wrestling accolades pale in comparison. These achievments aren't celebrated in a news paper, painted on a wall, or listed in a record book, although sometimes I think they should. Those who knew John by these titles were very blessed. They had the privledge to walk through life with a man of great integrity, character, compassion, and personality. He was a motivator, a peacemaker, a welcomer, a teacher, and most definetly a worker.He was quick with a joke, quick to forgive, and the easy to talk to.

Although John had a great impact on many boys in the decatur area ,and the polished young men they turned out to be, he had a far greater impact on a group of people whose last name also happens to be FRIEDT.(And they are DAMN PROUD OF IT)

So THANK YOU

John Wayne Friedt

May you rest in peace

Jeremy Friedt

When i heard John had passed i was at work and kinda had to put it out of my mind as best i could, But once i got off and was driving home all i could do was think about him and how he was as my coach,  And how much pain Mary and his kids must be in. It was hard to drive while fighting back tears. Now I was not one of the best wrestlers in the room. when ya have a state championship team like we did in 1994 it was hard to keep a varsity spot. With Myers, Krider, Werst, Hays, Girod, Anderson, just to name a few, So I was in and out of a spot all that year but no matter what John was one of those coaches who would treat you the same as he did a state champ. He always made you believe you could be there too, and that is a really good quality you want to have in your coaches. I know all the coaches Bellmont has currently are the same caliber as John was. He never really got mad. He tought you not to sweat the small stuff, if you didn't get a move right away he was patient and work extra on it with you even when the rest of the room was going on to the next move. And if you didn't smile around John there was something wrong with ya! The guy could make you laugh no matter how bad your day was. his daughter Jenny was like a sister to all of us being a mat maid and camera/stat girl. plus she was friends with my sister and played softball on the same teams. So John and Mary were like extended family. John also coached my little brother in his highschool years. He was there for both of us during freestyle practices, Not to mention the countless weekends we all spent at AAU Wrestling Tournaments! Anyone who knows the Friedts know that wrestling is in there blood just like the Faurotes. Mary and John are like mother and father wrestling. I feel like we just lost our Dad. The pain from loosing John is Terrible. It all seems so unfair and way to early for him to go. I feel sad for the kids coming up in the middle school program that will never get to meet and be coached by such a great teacher and man. Mary, Dan, And Jenny I am so sorry for your loss and i pray that God helps you get threw this very dark and hard time. Our family is always here if you need anything.

We love you John! We will miss you!

Jason Hendricks

I thought about reading this at John's funeral but I didn't.  Now I wish I would have.

The Dash by Linda Ellis

I read of a man who stood at the funeral of a friend.

He referred to the dates on his tombstone from the beginning ...to the end.

He noted that first came the date of his birth and spoke of the following date with tears,

but he said what mattered most of all...was the dash between the years.

For that dash represents all the time that he spent alive on earth

and now only those who loved him know what that little line is worth

For it matters not, how much we own, the cars...the house...the cash...

What matters is how we live and love...and how we spend our dash..

So think about this long and hard, are there things you'd like to change?

For you never know how much time is left that can still be rearranged.

If we could just slow down enough to consider what's true and real...

and always understand the way other people feel.

And be less quick to anger and show appreciation more

and love the people in our lives...like we never loved before.

If we treat each other with respect and more often wear a smile...

remembering that this special dash might only last a little while.

So when your eulogy is being read with you life's actions to rehash...      

would you be proud of the things they say... about how you spent your dash?

To my best friend Mary and all the Friedt family

Love you,

Helen

I

Today we laid to rest...A Man, A Myth, A Legend...I just wish my little brother would have had more time with Coach Friedt, so that he could have impacted his life as he did mine.

http://www.wane.com/dpp/news/farewell-to-friedt:-hundreds-mourn-coach?ref=scroller&categoryId=20000&status=true

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.