Lee vs McKinley Regional Championship....

rosem821

Who would have thought they would meet  2 weekends in a row..... and after watching the video and hearing from so many people that watched that match...including the father of Lee... Lee did not win that match...he got very lucky.... Mckinley had 2 if not 3 points that were not awarded to him.. But ref are refs and sorry to say..what they say goes..... to bad we can't post the video for everyone on here to score... I 'm sure the out come would be different....Good Luck to all the Semi-State qualifiers next week!!

sounds like a parents comment to me......i know how the conversation went down with his dad and he did not say he got lucky. dont come on here and start bad mouthing a wrestler...both kids are trying to do what they can out on the mat to win. if it didnt go your way...get over it!! its very unsportsmanlike and immature to come on here and post a thread to try to take the win away from lee.

Yes it is a parents comment... and you are not reading what I wrote correctly... I was not saying that his father said he got very lucky, those were my words.  and you know what ,I am over it,  and yes they are both very very good wrestlers, and if you read it correctly you would have read I was referring to the refs missing the call on the mat. So, it sounds like you were there, can you honestly say that Mckinley was not robbed of points in that match.

your not going to like my opinion because its not in your favor.....lee was in control in that whole match...the whole match and thats what it comes down to. its all about control and im sorry but your kid did not do anything to move lee. from the way the brackets look its possible that they may meet again at semi-state. i can understand your clouded vision with him being your kid but i have been involved with wrestling for 32 years and lee won the match hands down for the fourth time this season.  

Yeah, you definitely wouldn't want to know who's wrestling before you make predictions.  My bad.

sounds like he made his prediction...predicting they wrestle for 3rd and 4th? Thus winning there first two matches and losing in the semi-finals...try to stay a step ahead.

Dear Mrs. McKinley,

The referee for that match was one of the best in the state.  He also had a very good assistant for the match.  There were some close calls in the match, but as many good referees do, they let the kids wrestle out the situations instead of making a call too quickly.  The Northrop coaches obviously did not see any issues with the calls or they would have called the ref over to the table. 

Also that same ref you are complaining about saved your son a match in the semi-finals.  At the start of the overtime your son wanted to let Andrew Bowman up, which would have ended the match and the referee kindly told him doing so would mean the end of the match. 

Mr. Caprino

Thanks for the information, but it was my understanding the coaches did say something but were ignored.. neither here nor there it was a great match by both wrestlers. You have to see my view when so many people came up to us, some we had never seen before, 2 that were refs that weren't working the matches of course, and all say the same thing..... it does start to bother you.  It's over.. and we are moving on to semi state.  Good Luck next week end!!!

Also that same ref you are complaining about saved your son a match in the semi-finals.  At the start of the overtime your son wanted to let Andrew Bowman up, which would have ended the match and the referee kindly told him doing so would mean the end of the match.  

Wow Joe, it's really unbelievable that the ref would do that especially at that level.  I still laugh thinking back a year or two ago when my youngest was wrestling at Hyway state at Peru.  He had been wrestling on the same mat all day and the ref on that mat had always turned to me in the corner when it was my son's choice either in the 2nd or 3rd periods.  As the day wore on we were moved to a different mat and in the first match on that the new mat the ref turned to my son, asked him his choice and he chose down when he should have deferred.  I motioned from the corner saying no he wanted to defer but the ref really berated me saying that at this level (meaning a state level tournament) my son should know how to make his own choice (he was 11 I think).  So, Mrs McKinley should be very happy that the ref took the extraordinary step, in a Regional semifinal, no less, and explained the rules to him.  That ref would have had every right to follow the orders of the wrestler.  

Mr. Caprino

Thanks for the information, but it was my understanding the coaches did say something but were ignored.. neither here nor there it was a great match by both wrestlers. You have to see my view when so many people came up to us, some we had never seen before, 2 that were refs that weren't working the matches of course, and all say the same thing..... it does start to bother you.  It's over.. and we are moving on to semi state.  Good Luck next week end!!!

The refs that were in the stands were not assigned a regional in the state series and probably need some work in knowing the rules and applying them.  I would trust the opinions of the refs that were on the mats last Saturday over ones in the stands.

Well said Y2.... the last official assigned to a regional was ranked 131st amongst officials, so those two were apparently ranked lower than that and probably not qualified to be officiating (at least on the mat).

Additionally, if a coach has a complaint he should go to the bench and ask to be ackowledged during the first break in the action. That request cannot be ignored by the official. Usually the coach would ask the official to confer with his assistant in regards to the call. If you watch the video (again), you won't see either coach going to the bench and asking to discuss the call. Simply yelling out "Two" from the coaches corner is not objecting to the call... at least not doing so correctly.

Unfortunately, many fans, a lot of coaches, and even some officials (ie... the 2 in the stands) do not completely understand the rules. Simply having a head lock is not a takedown, and understanding what constitutes in bounds vs out of bounds is often misunderstood. The rule books are available at www.ihsaa.org, and I would suggest that you and the many people that agreed with you consider investing in one  :)

Me being an official, I certainly wouldn't be in the stands throwing my fellow officials "right or wrong under the bus. I was there and I wouldn't go running up to parents saying that was a bad call. I was in the stands, but I qualify for a Regional next year:))

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.