Penn Tournament

DanGski

We had a very good experience too!  Lots of places could take a lesson~   :D

We did mat side at Munster this weekend as well and had very good results. Morning session 120 wrestlers Pee-Wee-Intermediate 9:15-11:30. Afternoon session 115 wrestlers Novice-Cadet 11:45ish-1:45. Very smooth. I agree mat side pairing are the ticket!

I was at Penn this weekend and have been to Munster in the past.  Both tournaments do an excellent job.  Many other programs would serve themselves by watching the organized way in which Penn and Munster run a tournament.

At Penn yesterday, I never saw an open mat.  I never saw less than 10 bout sheets lined up on a table.  I never saw incorrect match ups on bout sheets.  They also had licensed officials on every mat.

It might be worth it for several iswa folks to spend some time watching Penn and Munster run these tournaments.  Yes, I know these a smaller local tournaments.  However, we could improve the way folkstyle, freestyle, greco state and central regional are run so much with just a few modifications to efficiency. The antiquated and outdated methods of pairings at state forcing families to spend many extra hours is just killing attendance numbers from many clubs at state.

Sounds like we had a great week-end of youth wrestling throughout Indiana yesterday--by my calculations we had 860 + kids out there wrestling! From the post on this thread it appears as if local clubs are adopting mat side paring and having success with it--can we as member clubs ask for our state tournament to follow local clubs lead?

We had right at 400 kids register at Penn we had some no shows don't know exactly but feel we were around 380 or so .  We ran 10 mats and averaged 10/12 bouts per mat per hour.Thanks to all who attended we had some great brackets!

Big Thanks to the PWC family from the parents to the high school kids for all your hard work--tournaments don't run their selves--you made this one rock!

Special Kuddos to our referees and paring staff your contribution was priceless!

I also saw Jean Wheatstone sit there for hours on end doing pairings at Penn.  I don't know Jean very well, but I'm pretty sure she hasn't had her own kids wrestling for a couple decades.  Jean must be a very special person to volunteer and running pairings at all these tournaments for kids she doesn't even know.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.