Bumping the Line-Up ??

SOX FAN

I am sure this has been beaten to death,but  I would like to be educated on this one. I understand it is more complicated than do it or don't do it. I have always felt that standing pat has a lot more positve outcomes from all stand points and angles versus switching your line-up. Am I wrong??

I think you're half right and half wrong. From an individual standpoint, I agree. Coaches shouldn't move a kid out just because they know the other kid is a stud and he's probably going to put a whuppin' on your kid. Part of getting better sometimes involves losing  - and learning from that loss. But from a team standpoint, it's a crucial part of winning sometimes. Moving 1 or 2 kids can many times make the difference between winning and losing a match, as a team.

Wrestling is a individual and team sport.  Having a good Team is what is going to bring fans to the stands.  Moving your lineup around to get better match ups for the team win is what the regualr season is all about.  Individual success starts tourney time in my opinion.  If a kid is in a weight class he is in for the long haul of the tourney so can move kids around just to get sectional win.  Now if they go to the true Team series like people have mentioned yes you will see teams still "bumping" kids around to gain the team win.

I saw a coach once team is down by 4 with 3 weights to go... had won three in a row to get it that close.... other team has ranked kid he has 1st year wrestler... the result is inevitable.... he FF's to the ranked kid, the other team doesn't gain any momentum, they get a pin in the next match as expected and then the final match that could've went either way they keep the momentum and win by fall and win the dual by two... it was a great move....  the first year kid went on to be a sectional champ as a senior!!!  I am not sure getting pinned in that heated dual would've done anything to help him or the team!!

It was a league game so it was that important.... sorry smokey!!!

I understand the idea of trying to gain an advantage,but to me  this is a math problem -3 +4 -6 -5 +6. Here is the hypothetical. Your varsity 285 is out due to illness and your back up is a freshman who most likely will get pinned. You have 2 pretty good 103 pounders, so you put the reserve 103 in and start bumping everybody up. This is done even though you know the reserve 103 can't beat the opponents varsity guy who is ranked in the top 16 and the 215 has little chance of beating the opponents 285 because he is ranked in the top 16. Why not stay pat with your best 13 man line up and just FF the 285?

Another question is when do you think this decision should be made, before or after you draw for the starting weight class or does it matter? I have always felt momentum is a major factor and might play a role in the bumping decision.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.