Intermat Fab 50 Team Rankings IL:5 IN:0

devildog47959

Illinois is far ahead of us that is no question.  I hate to say this but I think the Catholic League by themselves can beat our best.  I mean in regards to team.  Individually don't know.  Hey MTV, what about all this under a rock talk?!

Illinois is far ahead of us that is no question.  I hate to say this but I think the Catholic League by themselves can beat our best.  I mean in regards to team.  Individually don't know.  Hey MTV, what about all this under a rock talk?!

Not sure exactly what you mean, but my statement was in regards to Iowa vs. Indiana and how Iowa is obviously a better wrestling state. I haven't had time to parse through data regarding the Illinois vs Indiana to account for population differences.

Boys participation-all sports

Illinois- 205,544

Iowa- 84,296

Indiana- 93,424

Athletic participation is tallied each time a boy plays a sport, so a three sport boy is counted as three.

Boys participation - wrestling

Illinois-17,814

Iowa- 6,665

Indiana- 7,854

A conclusion would be that Iowa is a better wrestling state than Indiana.  News only to those that have crawled out from under a rock this morning. Illinois compared to Indiana would require more data mining and debate than I have time for right now. But I do think it is debatable.

This, to me, is a different question than which state has the best wrestlers. It would seem Illinois has that wrapped up based upon performance and rankings both (as compared to Indiana).  It's a question of which state does better with the resources at hand.

Source for data:  http://www.nfhs.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4198

As a follow-up . . .  and I know this is purely speculative and statistics don't tell the whole truth.  Mr. Heckman quoted the great Mark Twain in earlier posts.  However, I do think there are interesting conclusions that can be debated based upon statistics.  So, using the above statistics along with 2010 Census data we can add to the mix the following data points:

Illinois population 12,910,409 (75% of population is 18 or older)

Iowa population 3,007,856 (76.2% of population is 18 or older)

Indiana population 6,423,113 (75% of population is 18 or older)

I will take this as similar age demographics.  If someone can get the actual number of high school aged boys, then fantastic.  This data is really nice as the three states are proportional with regards to population with Indiana roughly twice Iowa and Illinois roughly twice Indiana and, of course, four times Iowa.

The big kicker in these stats for me was that Iowa has a much greater participation level than either Illinois or Indiana with regards to total athletics and of course wrestling, when you compare it to their relatively low population.  Not quite double on a percentage basis.  (2.8% IA, 1.6% IL, 1.5% IN).  Perhaps we can say that Iowa does a better job scholastically getting kids active, maybe they have more sports to choose from, maybe athletics is a bigger social piece of the pie.  Maybe everyone in Iowa plays multiple sports.  I also suspect that Iowa doesn't have as many mega high schools with huge enrollments.  I suspect that these large schools can limit athletic opportunities if additional sports and/or multiple teams aren't available.  Inner city schools probably have an impact as well.

Iowa has the lowest percentage of wrestling participation vs. total participation (7.907%).  Illinois is highest (8.667%) with Indiana in the middle (8.407%).  This would lead me to believe that there is plenty to do in Iowa besides wrestle.

Now, someone with national rankings, Fargo placement, etc. can determine if Illinois is truly a better wrestling state than Indiana.  From my cursory review, I suspect we could say with confidence that Illinois is doing a better job of turning out quality wrestlers on the national scene.  Illinois seemed to turn up more than twice as much as Indiana in the Fargo results I reviewed.

MTV, I was just jabbin ya cuz of my location.

I didn't even notice that. I guess my location should be in the dark. There are several on this board that would agree.  I was perplexed as I couldn't possibly figure out how i offended anyone, but you never know sometimes.

• 1 month later...

I'm sorry, but any ranking service that has 2 Oregon schools with no nationally ranked guys ahead of a team (Crown Point) that has dominated all comers in a legit top 10-12 wrestling state is difficult to respect.

The individual rankings that were also posted are determined a lot by how much national exposure a kid gets. Raley is ranked 11th in the country but not even ranked number one in the state. So we may have some wrestlers that deserve to be ranked nationally but since they don't wrestle in national tournaments during the off season they get no exposure.

The individual rankings that were also posted are determined a lot by how much national exposure a kid gets. Raley is ranked 11th in the country but not even ranked number one in the state. So we may have some wrestlers that deserve to be ranked nationally but since they don't wrestle in national tournaments during the off season they get no exposure.

Raley is NOT ranked, he was ranked early in the season but has not been ranked since his loss to Kieffer. To See a list of current Indiana wrestlers ranked in the top 20 click here:

http://indianamat.com/messageboard/index.php/topic,13502.msg105514.html#msg105514

* HS Rankings have not been updated since Jan 19th, Phillips is ranked #3 at 112 still, but with his loss to Todd, IDK if he will be in the top 10 anymore

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.