Penn in Perspective

Boot

Before anyone gets angry let me say I'm a big fan of Coach Harper. I was very impressed with his work at BC and he's got the personality and dedication to beat any coach I've met.

There's been a lot of talk about the size of their team, and it is huge. But I wondered how that was effected by school size. So here's some perspective:

For arguments sake let's say they have an even 100 kids on the team. Penn has 3,632 students. That means the team is 2.75% of the school.

That's the equivalent of Bellmont having 23 guys on the team, Mater Dei having 15, Union County having 13, or Adams Central having 10.

It also means that Carmel should have 121 guys on the team to have the same percentage.

I also want to say I don't want this to turn in to a class wrestling attack about big vs. small schools, there are too many of those already. Just an interesting perspective.

Boot, i get what you are saying, but having 100 kids on a team where there are essentially 14 varsity spots (28 if your count the 2nd string varsity) is pretty good. Because if 100 kids come out for 28 varsity spots and the other 72 are on JC that means many kids are not getting a ton of matches, but they are STILL coming out. To me, that is the impressive part.

I agree 100%, it's amazing he has that many guys out and is keeping them out. I attribute that to Harper's personality and coaching. That's why I added the Carmel data in there, it's definitely not dependent entirely upon the size of the school.

If a kid really wants to be part of athletics, what other options does he have?  Basketball and swimming?  Basketball cuts kids.  Not really sure how many kids are typically on a swimming team.  There aren't a lot of opportunities for these kids. 

If a kid really wants to be part of athletics, what other options does he have?  Basketball and swimming?  Basketball cuts kids.  Not really sure how many kids are typically on a swimming team.  There aren't a lot of opportunities for these kids.  

no disrespect  intended but i doubt that if a kid wants to be part of a team they would choose wrestling. wrestlers put themselves through more than any other athlete in any other sport. i have been to penns practices and the penn staff doesnt allow slackers. congrats to penn coaches and wrestlers. keep it up

no disrespect  intended but i doubt that if a kid wants to be part of a team they would choose wrestling. wrestlers put themselves through more than any other athlete in any other sport. i have been to penns practices and the penn staff doesnt allow slackers. congrats to penn coaches and wrestlers. keep it up

Totally agree about how hard the sport is.  However, my point is that they don't have many other options in the winter if they really want to do something.  A school that big is going to get some of these kids.

Look at some of the mega schools in Indy, BD, LC, etc....they have several open weights in their frosh/jv ranks so I think it's still immpressive to get that many kids to come out.

I'd love to have 20 freshman a year to build a future out of.

I think the Franklin 5-way was a great measuring stick to where Penn is right now , and where they need to be . I think when they get some starters back in the lineup , a couple matches could swing the other way , and they are right there with Perry . Does anyone know why Ben Varner is not wrestling at 119 ? I heard he has a medical condition and cannot cut weight .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.