IHSWCA update 11/18/2010

Cale Hoover

11/18/2010

Wrestling Community:

The IHSWCA Board and Regional Representatives met this past Sunday, November 14th.  Many topics were discussed, but certainly the main focus was the team state series.  

A committee of the following members was recommended and approved by those in attendance:

1. Sam Riesen ? Churubusco

2. Mark Kerrn ? Jimtown

3. Mike Atwood ? Delphi

4. Tyson Skinner ? Madison

5. Trent Staggs ? Martinsville

6. Jim Tonte ? Perry Meridian

After discussion the following task/goals were created:

1. Work on saving the current team state.

2. Work on a plan to improve the team state series for the betterment of all wrestling programs

A great deal of time was spent brainstorming and discussing ideas.  We will be contacting every head coach in the state for their input on this matter.  It is essential that we get honest and open feedback from the representative of each program.  We have to know what the wrestling community wants.

In response to the article in the Indy Star; I will tell you that the IHSAA has never once told any member of the coaches association that we were violating a by-law when we awarded the coaches trophy.  I have been on the board for 3 ? years and they have never once mentioned this in our numerous discussions.

We will be holding another meeting on December 5th and will have another update at that point.

Thank you.

Cale Hoover

President, IHSWCA

Hooverc1@centergrove.k12.in.us

317-881-0581 ext. 4287

317-502-8796

After discussion the following task/goals were created:

1. Work on saving the current team state.

2. Work on a plan to improve the system for the betterment of the state

We you say "system" are you referring to the state tournament series?

I haven't even seen a match in Indiana, so I may not know what I'm talking about, but looking at the format I don't think anything is really wrong with it. (Other than we should add classes, it's 2010!) The problems with wrestling run much deeper. We need to focus on duals throughout the year. I'm the new head coach at Decatur Central and we have two home duals. If by some stroke of luck we ended up in the state tournament series what fans would we have to come and watch us?  I'm going to work to change my schedule with more of an emphasis on dual meets. I'll sacrifice a few individual matches. One match in front of a great home crowd is better than three in the losers bracket of some tournament with no one really watching.

First of all this is not the right location to voice your concerns over your own schedule.  Start your own thread about Dual Meet scheduling, rather than high-jacking a thread that is about keeping Team State.

I understand your concerns, but each coach has the right to develop their own schedule.  If you have a problem with yours, then change it.  

Also, I understand the idea that dual meets are more fan friendly.  I'm not sure if you are aware that our schedules are based on a points system.  The system allocates 1 point for a dual meet and 2 points for a Super Dual meet.  Therefore, if you have 2 dual meets you have used 2 of those points, where in a Super Dual, your entire team will be wrestling 5 matches.  I would take 5 matches for my team over 2, any day.

Once again, that is only my opinion, and that is why each coach has the power to do what they would like with their schedule.

I in no way meant to high jack the thread. We are talking about saving team state. I'm saying that saving it starts with building fan bases at individual schools. I think the best way to do that is by adding duals to everyone's schedule, not just mine. I'm just using my schedule as an example. Everyone is free to schedule how ever they want, but my opinion is that going away from duals has been bad for the sport in a lot of ways.  Again, I could be wrong and these are just my opinions, but I really believe the problems with team state go deeper than just the format of the tournament.

In response to the article in the Indy Star; I will tell you that the IHSAA has never once told any member of the coaches association that we were violating a by-law when we awarded the coaches trophy.  I have been on the board for 3 ? years and they have never once mentioned this in our numerous discussions.

Now that the IHSAA has made the statement about violating bylaws, is the IHSWCA going to stop giving the Trophy this year?  It seems like he made sure to make a point that there is never any pleasing the coaches and wrestling community by bringing up the Coaches Trophy and what he said about the award.

seems like he made sure to make a point that there is never any pleasing the coaches and wrestling community by bringing up the Coaches Trophy

Of that this is just an easy thing to add to the list in order to justify the IHSAA dropping the event and point the fingure at the wrestling community as being the reason why.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.