Coaches changing schools

I dont think he is arguing that on a whole as a team Bluffton is equal with Homestead, I think he is saying that on an individual basis Homestead and Bluffton have had about the same success. 

but the thread was about coaching the teams, not individuals.  Bluffton has had a coach who cared about the program for 20+ years.  Homestead has had one since pursley has been there. 

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think he is arguing that on a whole as a team Bluffton is equal with Homestead, I think he is saying that on an individual basis Homestead and Bluffton have had about the same success.  Why don't we look at Whitko instead of Bluffton.  Similar sizes, similar demographics.  Whitko was able to beat Homestead at team Regionals.  So if they are not equal what speacial power did Whitko have to beat them?  How were they able to do it when a team like Bluffont couldn't with all of their disadvantages.

I thought you wanted classed team state.  Now you are arguing the small schools can compete as a team because Whitko beat Homestead? 

Why can't Bluffton have enough wrestlers for a middle school team?  There are plenty of small schools with full MS rosters? I agree the Homestead middle schools do have more possibilities than does Bluffton, not gonna argue that one, but if we look back at the past 15 year Bluffton has had more conference titles, state champions and Im pretty sure state placers than Homestead.  How could it be? 

at the risk of being misinterpreted are you saying Bluffton's program is equal or better than Homestead because they have had more conf. titles, state champions and state placers?

Until this year Bluffton had more state qualifiers than Castle, yep Bluffton is the better program.

hahaha.....

point is that small schools can be a nice job.  some small schools have more success than many larger schools...

would it be really that far out to say at one time Bluffton was a better program than Castle?

First of all by all accounts shouldn't Angola have a better program than us?  They are a 4A school we are 1A? By you guyss accounts we should be flattered that you even mentioned us i the same breathe with a school that size. Secondly since ive been at Busco we are 1-1 with Angola.  Angola was pretty good last year, so honestly I dont know.  Indivdually I think we have had more semi-staters than them over the same period, and I would say Hamilton and Furar had similar success so its a good argument for both sides.

So what about the Whitko, Homestead question?

What point are you trying to make?  I don't want to misinterpret you but it appears you trying to say Homestead and Bluffton are at a nearly equal level because Homestead has had only one more SQ in the last 2 years.  Is that what you are trying to say?

If that is what you are trying to say, I would say you are clueless. 

If that is not what you are trying to say, I would say you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Since I don't think you are clueless, I can only assume you are arguing for the sake of arguing

so when someone other than Y2 or you bring up something then they are just arguing for the sake of arguing... I just used the last 2 years as a quick reference...Homestead may have won their sectional but they then got beat by Whitko, a small school.  Why exactly is Homestead a better program, and please do not give me any more maybes.

And at one time Milan was the best basketball program in the state.  

yes they were....

however, Bluffton and a school like say  Adams Central were state level teams for more than just one year.

The point I was trying to make is that just because a big school has all the "maybes", that does not mean they will all become true.  Sometimes a small school job is just as good as a big school job, especially when the maybes dont go the large schools way. 

Bluffton has won ZERO sectional titles

Adams Central has won three sectional titles and one regional title

Adams Central has qualified more than three wrestlers for state only twice and only once had three or more state placers.

Hardly two state level teams when between them they have four IHSAA trophies to show for it.

would it be really that far out to say at one time Bluffton was a better program than Castle?

probably not.  just like it's not out of line to think of whitko as a slightly better program than homestead.  If i were a coach that was driven to win a state championship, I would want to be at castle or homestead over whitko or bluffton though.

First of all by all accounts shouldn't Angola have a better program than us?  They are a 4A school we are 1A? By you guyss accounts we should be flattered that you even mentioned us i the same breathe with a school that size. Secondly since ive been at Busco we are 1-1 with Angola.  Angola was pretty good last year, so honestly I dont know.  Indivdually I think we have had more semi-staters than them over the same period, and I would say Hamilton and Furar had similar success so its a good argument for both sides.

So what about the Whitko, Homestead question?

I don't know what point you are trying to make because at one time you said you are in favor of class team state but know you are bring up examples of smaller schools with better program than bigger programs.  Never said it wasn't possible.  Small schools can and do have nice programs but the likelyhood of them winning a state title are tiny. 

Karl I am for classing the team portion, but in terms of were the thread was going the discussion was turning into one that was about how Bluffton could not compete with Homestead I just thought I wouldgive an example were a similar school had.

No one said Bluffton could never compete with Homestead?  Not sure where you got that.  Only said that Razo would probably coach at Homestead rather than Bluffton if he wanted to have team success.

You brought up the Angola and Busco thing.  I said in an earlier post:

Karl I am for classing the team portion, but in terms of were the thread was going the discussion was turning into one that was about how Bluffton could not compete with Homestead I just thought I wouldgive an example were a similar school had.

Which is why I brought the smaller schools up.  I do agree that classin would give smaller schools a better chance, Yorktown though does show that small schools could be right there for it all.

I completly agree but what if you were a teacher/ coach at Whitko, and castle offered you the head coaching job with no teaching.  Is the five hour job really something your gonna do just for coaching pay and a better chance at success?

It depends on if my wife can get a job down there to support my wrestling habit.

Now if I were a teach/coach at Whitko and Homestead offered me the head coaching job I would look into it a lot more seriously.  I would look at the feasibility of the drive and being able to teach and coach at two different schools.  The likelihood of taking the job would be a lot higher.

You brought up the Angola and Busco thing.  I said in an earlier post:

Which is why I brought the smaller schools up.  I do agree that classin would give smaller schools a better chance, Yorktown though does show that small schools could be right there for it all.

Yorktown gives hope that one out of 10 years you can do something special and that is if all the chips fall into the right places.  If one of their studs goes down to injury during the season or one flunks off the team they aren't at team state.

so when someone other than Y2 or you bring up something then they are just arguing for the sake of arguing... I just used the last 2 years as a quick reference...Homestead may have won their sectional but they then got beat by Whitko, a small school.  Why exactly is Homestead a better program, and please do not give me any more maybes.

I don't think I have ever just argued for the sake of arguing on the issue of class wrestling.  Is your first sentence an admission that you are just arguing for the sake of arguing?

I didn't give you any maybes.  But you can take the maybes away from y2's post and those would all be reasons why homestead is a better program.  Homestead also fills all their weight classes.

So are you saying if a Dekalb, or Carroll, or Snider came open, a big school near Garrett you'd look into it?

Yes and I have applied for a job at a bigger school in the past.  As I have stated in the past there are about two or three jobs in this area that if they came open I would seriously consider them.  They are all a lot bigger than Garrett.

I completly agree but what if you were a teacher/ coach at Whitko, and castle offered you the head coaching job with no teaching.  Is the five hour job really something your gonna do just for coaching pay and a better chance at success?

certainly not.  Hope i didn't give the impression that anyone ever would do something that silly.

Would you take the Carroll job if offered?

I didn't give you any maybes.  But you can take the maybes away from y2's post and those would all be reasons why homestead is a better program.  Homestead also fills all their weight classes.

So do a lot of schools Blufftons size,  they've done it before.

Yorktown gives hope that one out of 10 years you can do something special and that is if all the chips fall into the right places.  If one of their studs goes down to injury during the season or one flunks off the team they aren't at team state.

So then what about next year,  A lot of people have Yorktown being riht back were they were tis year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.