Moving out of 103 ?

Inthecave

very good point,  but you have to remember they are still young high schoolers, they have another couple years/summers to grow before they get to college, you'd be surprised how much they'll grow (unless they are weighing like 105 soak and wet, but I am not sure what they walk around at). Very good point to bring up though.  I am sure college coaches are looking for those guys who are going to have to "get down to 125" instead of weighing like 123 all the time. 

Since college you need to be a 125 lb. to compete when do you think it is critical for a wrestler like Phillips , Brooks , and Petrov to bump up for college , or does it matter ?

I actually asked this question during Sean's recruiting. The majority of the responses were that unless a kid is truly special (i.e. National Champ) & had a physique that they felt could support more weight, they usually didn't really recruit lower than 119. Also on this note Leroy Vega once told me that most schools thought he was too small, and he won several Fargo Titles.

I actually asked this question during Sean's recruiting. The majority of the responses were that unless a kid is truly special (i.e. National Champ) & had a physique that they felt could support more weight, they usually didn't really recruit lower than 119. Also on this note Leroy Vega once told me that most schools thought he was too small, and he won several Fargo Titles.

But Vega ended up being an all-american--so there goes that theory.

I also have often wondered how many wrestlers not only inhibit their muscle capacity by cutting too much weight, but how many literally stifle their bodies from reaching maximum adult height/weight?  If I had the time and resources, I would love to do a nationwide study of high school wrestlers to see the percentage "stature" (height/weight)  increase for wrestlers from ages 15 to 18 versus average non-wrestlers of the same age.  The nutrient deprivation has to have an effect on some over time.

But Vega ended up being an all-american--so there goes that theory.

I also have often wondered how many wrestlers not only inhibit their muscle capacity by cutting too much weight, but how many literally stifle their bodies from reaching maximum adult height/weight?  If I had the time and resources, I would love to do a nationwide study of high school wrestlers to see the percentage "stature" (height/weight)  increase for wrestlers from ages 15 to 18 versus average non-wrestlers of the same age.  The nutrient deprivation has to have an effect on some over time.

Very true. It most certainly can be done. But the odds of a small guy getting a good D1 scholarship are few. Leroy was actually not Minnesota's 1st choice. Once he got to Minnesota, he started an heavy lifting regimen along with eating right in large quantity. I think the biggest issue would be just getting college coaches to see potential in a small wrestler. That would be where success at national events would be important!

My guess is that they look more for body structure and wrestling style more so than weight class. Most leggit semiors hit at least 119, very few stay below 112, but i definitely think you have to show growth and muscular maturity throughout high school. I would think that Petrov, Brooks, and Phillips will get to 119. They also have to succeed in every weight class they compete in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.