Middle School Elite Tournament series

Jacob

After many years of hearing everyone talk about the fact that there is no seeding at the middle school level. Then everyone talking about how it could not be done. I have been talking to our new middle school coach and we are interested in trying to get a series of middle school elite tournaments for next year. These tournaments would be qualifiers for a final tournament of seeded wrestlers. Yes you would have to participate in the preliminary tournaments for seeding. We are not sure on exactly how everything would work at this point. We are in the planning stages at this point.

We would host a tournament at Franklin Central and we would like to see if there would be any interest in schools who host tournaments all ready to have a tournament with in their existing tournaments. This would be the elite middle schoolers. This would consist of 6th, 7th and 8th graders. At the end of the sreies there would be a final that would place out to the top eight. Trophies comparable to the ones given out at some of the national tournaments we all travel acrossed the country to enter. 4th through eighth would receive custom medals. We would like to see at least six other schools that would commit to this. The final could rotate every year to a new school. All schools would help with every tournament. We would like to form a committee that would consist of at least two people from each school to work things out.

Like I said this is in the exploratory stage but we would like to have everything finalized in order to get it on the schedule for next year.

TBD

Is there anyone interested in doing this. This does not have to be just here in the cental region of the state. Actually it would be better to divide the state up into regions and have 2-3 tournaments in each region. If interested Coach Peck could use this seeding for His State tournament. If he is interested in this we would eliminate the series final and just use the seeding aspect.

Not calling him old or anything but it would be nice to have some old salts on board with this if we can get it up and running.

TBD

I guess that it is safe to assume that everyone who complains about the top kids hitting each other in round one are just chronic complainers and have no desire to make a change.

Here is a suggestion. The next time you want to complain. Don`t, unless you want to try and be part of the solution.  My only desire in this, is to find out who is the best on the day of the tournament. I have said this before. My kid will be in high school next year. This will not benefit me other than improving the quality of Indiana wrestling. You have to be open to change in order to move forward.

[glow=red,2,300]" But this is the way we have always done it"[/glow]

Look at the quality of other states and where they place in comparison to the teams we send. Why not be proactive in allowing our best to represent.

Don`t get me wrong, the kids we send are great kids and in a lot of instances, they are the correct ones. You have to admit, there are many cases every year that the top kids hit each other and the better kid does not make it. Where are the people who are complaining about this every year?

This sounds very interesting, but the questions that I would have is are we talking about working from the middle school season (basically Saturday meets) or ISWA folkstyle season (Sunday meets)?  I know that it would be nice to start maybe from the county level and work its way up.

Dan Williams

Head Coach Noblesville Middle School

With line bracketing and true second, the best two usually come out on top.  What examples at middle school state were there where the top 2 are wrong after the true second match?  Placement (or lack of) after that could  be affected for sure based on not being seeded but not the top 2.  I like your ideas and it would be cool to see it done though.  How about wrestle backs for true second at other state tournaments?  Anyone seeing that happen anytime soon?

Like I said, this is in the planning stages. I agree, we need a lot of people on board with it before we can go forward. My thoughts were to use the weekend ISWA tournaments as the seeding. Basically the existing tournamenst would have a tournament inside their existing tournaments for 6,7 and 8th graders. Just like they do at middles school state. At the end of the tournament, the results would be sent to one person who would keep track of the results. Prior to any final tournament, whatever it would be. A seeding committee would convene to work out the seeding.

We would have established criteria to determine how seeded wrestlers are placed.

Can I get some contacts from interested schools and individuals who are interested in exploring this option. We can start working out some details after the state tournaments are over. We do need to get a tentative date to try and have a meeting. All opinions are encouraged. If we can get this up and running, I would like to see this being the best thing to happen for our sport in a long time. The only way this will happen would be to get everyones input so we know your thoughts on what would be good and what would be bad.

I will keep posting here occasionally to keep this at the top of the board. I don`t want it to be an out of sight and out of mind thing. If no action is taken, it will never happen.

John

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.