girl wrestling

I agree with you Stick.  Girls should only wrestle girls.  Girls should NOT be a part of boys wrestling.  It's a lose/lose for any boy that wrestles a girl.  It's either "You're real tough.  You beat a girl." or "YOU LOST TO A GIRL???"  I am 100% on your side.  If my daughter wants to wrestle, she will only be wrestling girls.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that girls are allowed to play football but boys can't play vollebyall.  And just last year (or maybe the year before) a girl sued the IHSAA because she wanted to play baseball.  Isn't that what softball is for??  IHSAA wrestling is for the boys.  Let's keep it that way!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you Stick.  Girls should only wrestle girls.  Girls should NOT be a part of boys wrestling.  It's a lose/lose for any boy that wrestles a girl.  It's either "You're real tough.  You beat a girl." or "YOU LOST TO A GIRL???"  I am 100% on your side.  If my daughter wants to wrestle, she will only be wrestling girls.  I think it's absolutely ridiculous that girls are allowed to play football but boys can't play vollebyall.  And just last year (or maybe the year before) a girl sued the IHSAA because she wanted to play baseball.  Isn't that what softball is for??  IHSAA wrestling is for the boys.  Let's keep it that way!!

I'm pretty sure there have been decades of Court decisions upholding these rulings, but maybe they don't matter....

I think there is actually a logistical matter in why guys can't play volleyball with girls. There are specific rule differences between the two that could not be combined into one sport. The same is not true in some of these other sports.

If girls can be awarded scholarships to play football in college and are completely eligible for a career in professional football, I am not sure how you can argue against them playing football by virtue of the constitution.

What is the logistical matter in why guys can't play volleyball?  Baseball and softball are equal enough to make them comparable sports.  If your point is that they are different, so is boys and girls basketball (different sized ball), track (shorter hurdles), and field (lighter shot puts).  I've never seen a girl ask to compete with a heavier shot put against the guys??  How is that all that much different.  If you want to compete with the boys, then compete with the boys at all sports.  Why have gender rules on sports at all????

What is the logistical matter in why guys can't play volleyball?  Baseball and softball are equal enough to make them comparable sports.  If your point is that they are different, so is boys and girls basketball (different sized ball), track (shorter hurdles), and field (lighter shot puts).  I've never seen a girl ask to compete with a heavier shot put against the guys??  How is that all that much different.  If you want to compete with the boys, then compete with the boys at all sports.  Why have gender rules on sports at all????

I am pretty sure it deals with the height of the net, but don't quote me on that. If baseball and softball were comparable enough (which I am not sure how that one works), then I doubt the IHSAA would not have been afraid of a little old lawsuit that came their way.

I don't doubt that the height of the net is the logistic thing in the rulebook but that makes no sense.  What if a guy wants to play that is shorter than the tallest girl on the team.  Should he be allowed to play then since he, technically, is at a disadvantage being farther away from the net than her.  And I'm pretty sure the IHSAA is scared of ANY law suit no matter the size.  That would require them to spend some of that $$$$$ on a defense attorney.

I'm tired of this argument, so let me add my two cents.

I really have no problem with girls wrestling separately from boys. The problem lies in the fact that if we implemented that, it would be intentionally unfair for the girls because they wouldn't have the opportunities the boys currently have. Maybe it would change, maybe it wouldn't.

After some long discussion about whether sports should be parts of budget cuts in the State of Indiana, I came away thinking everyone wanted as many sports as possible so that more kids got more opportunities to participate.

That being said, I do not see how someone can honestly say that anyone should be denied such an opportunity based on something that is inherently out of their control. I would also like to say that I completely respect others' ideas on this issue and if they, or their kid, don't want to wrestle a girl, then they can have that opinion and take that route, even if I don't agree with it. What you can't do is exclude girls just because YOU don't think they should be there.

Just my two cents. Good night, and enjoy one of the best days of the year tomorrow.

And if it's a height thing, then just about every wrestler would be able to play volleyball!!  ;D

lol, have you ever been to a volleyball match? The net stays the same height, the players are of varying heights. High Schools follow national rules, girls can't play at the mens' net height and vice versa.

The same sorry excuses people give for not wanting females to wrestle were used when I was a kid against girls playing baseball or football, against females being firemen, policemen or doctors etc. or with people of color being able to do similar activities.

The excuse I would give for not letting my daughter wrestle is that I don't want some sweaty boy grubbing his paws all over her.  Is that the same excuse why females or people of color weren't allowed to be firemen, etc. etc.?  I might be a sexist, fascist, racist and not even know it.

I don't care if a girl wrestles or not.  Mine won't.  I would be a little surprised and disturbed if she wanted to.

lol, have you ever been to a volleyball match? The net stays the same height, the players are of varying heights. High Schools follow national rules, girls can't play at the mens' net height and vice versa.

Yes.  My wife coaches volleyball so I've probably been to a lot more than you have.  My point was that the tall girls are closer to the top of the net than the short boys so the boys are at a disadvantage.  Thank you and good night.

The excuse I would give for not letting my daughter wrestle is that I don't want some sweaty boy grubbing his paws all over her.  Is that the same excuse why females or people of color weren't allowed to be firemen, etc. etc.?  I might be a sexist, fascist, racist and not even know it.

I don't care if a girl wrestles or not.  Mine won't.  I would be a little surprised and disturbed if she wanted to.

The problem with this statement is that you seem to be implying there is something sexual about wrestling if you think the guy is trying to "grope" the girl during a wrestling match... and if you think that's the case why is it okay for "some sweaty boy grubbing his paws all over" each other be okay? If you think wrestling is sexual then why aren't you against to underage boys doing it on the mat in front of a cheering crowd?

If as a parent you don't want your child to wrestle that's up to you.

In my opinion... a confident female with self defense skills is a good thing & there is nothing sexual happening during a high school wrestling match... (except perhaps in some folks minds)

I have a DAUGHTER that wrestles! There is nothing sexual about it. She goes out there and fights hard. She works just as hard as the guys on the team.

I think if a girl wants to wrestle and is willing to put the time and effort into the training more power to her.

She is only an 8th grader this year but she plans to wrestle through out high school too. Her dad is an assistant coach. Do you honestly think that if he thought it was sexual that he would let her do it. Come on if it is sexual I would be more worried about 2 boys out there together.

I think it comes down to the fact that most people who disagree with it are either scared that they or their sons will get beat by a girl. You can't look at it that way she is just another wrestler.

If the IHSAA would make an all girls team she would join it, but as for now there is no IHSAA girls team. SO all you that are complaining DEAL WITH IT!!! My daughter is going to wrestle.

The problem with this statement is that you seem to be implying there is something sexual about wrestling if you think the guy is trying to "grope" the girl during a wrestling match... and if you think that's the case why is it okay for "some sweaty boy grubbing his paws all over" each other be okay? If you think wrestling is sexual then why aren't you against to underage boys doing it on the mat in front of a cheering crowd?

If as a parent you don't want your child to wrestle that's up to you.

In my opinion... a confident female with self defense skills is a good thing & there is nothing sexual happening during a high school wrestling match... (except perhaps in some folks minds)

It is only sexual if you make eye contact.

I have a DAUGHTER that wrestles! There is nothing sexual about it. She goes out there and fights hard. She works just as hard as the guys on the team.

I think if a girl wants to wrestle and is willing to put the time and effort into the training more power to her.

She is only an 8th grader this year but she plans to wrestle through out high school too. Her dad is an assistant coach. Do you honestly think that if he thought it was sexual that he would let her do it. Come on if it is sexual I would be more worried about 2 boys out there together.

I think it comes down to the fact that most people who disagree with it are either scared that they or their sons will get beat by a girl. You can't look at it that way she is just another wrestler.

If the IHSAA would make an all girls team she would join it, but as for now there is no IHSAA girls team. SO all you that are complaining DEAL WITH IT!!! My daughter is going to wrestle.

It isn't the match so much as all the time in the practice room.  How many of you would be a little disappointed if your boys came home from school and said they were going to take up scrapbooking and collecting barbie dolls.  Yeah, we know, you would all support them on whatever decision they made because you love them.  I get it.  Of course, you would be in a dark corner, rocking back and forth, in the fetal position, shaking like heroin addict without a fix wondering which purse your wife is storing your manhood and where everything went wrong.  God made men and women different.  They think different, act differently, and, as I understand it, have some fundamental differences in their physiology.  There are exceptions to the norm.  That is fine.  Go for it.

I have a few other things, besides wrestling, that I wouldn't want my daughter to do.  A short list:  high steel erection, test pilot, sewer maintenance, gas station attendant, circus clown . . .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.