IHSWCA Fall Clinic Date - Mark Your Calendars

http://www.indianamat.com/2009-ihswca-fall-coaches-clinic/2009/09/

This year's IHSWCA fall wrestling clinic will be held on the evening of Wednesday, October 14 and on Thursday, October 15.  The location is Lawrence North High School.  The clinician will be finalized next week, but we wanted the wrestling community to be able to mark their calendars at this point.

Tentatively, Wednesday night will be dedicated to a variety of activities such as a rules clinic, a coaches' roundtable discussion and a coaches' social.  Thursday will be a traditional clinic type setting with our guest clinician demonstrating technique for morning and afternoon sessions.

More information will follow in the next couple of weeks.  If there is a particular topic or subject you would like addressed at the Wednesday night round table or on Thursday, please let one of the officers know.  I am in the process of blocking hotel rooms, and I will forward that information as it becomes available.

It is most likely impossible to find a "good" date for a state wide clinic that would satisfy everyone's personal calendars.  Much discussion and debate went into selecting the above dates for this year's clinic, and we hope these dates will be satisfactory for as many people as possible.  First, we wanted to stay away from as many people's "fall breaks" as possible.  In this day and age of hectic schedules people look forward to their fall breaks, and we did not want to keep coaches and IHSWCA members from being with their families during their break.  Secondly, we did not want to interupt football fans' Friday night rituals.  We hope that by staying away from Friday's, it might increase attendance at our clinic in addition to being sensitive to our state's football activities on Friday nights.  Lastly, there is a national FFA convention hosted in Indianapolis during the week after we have scheduled our clinic.  Thousands of people will be traveling to Indy during the week of October 19 - 24 for this convention, and we did not want to go head-to-head with them in securing hotel rooms, etc. 

Again, if you have any ideas or topics for discussion at this year's fall clinic, please let an officer know, so we can put it on the agenda for the clinic.

Thank you,

Trent McCormick

tmccormick@yorktown.k12.in.us

• 3 weeks later...

Having it on Wed/Thu makes it much easier for football coaches!!

How is that???

You don't have to rush back for game time.  Football coaches that travel would most likely skip Friday's sessions altogether.

Maybe I'm alone on this one.  Are there any football/wrestling coaches out there that agree?

Having it on Wed/Thu makes it much easier for football coaches!!

How is that???

You don't have to rush back for game time.  Football coaches that travel would most likely skip Friday's sessions altogether.

Maybe I'm alone on this one.  Are there any football/wrestling coaches out there that agree?

I just thought that most Football Coaches left early, or did not come, on Thursday so they could get back to practice.  I actually would have thought that the half day clinic on Friday might have been nice for Football Coaches (within a couple of hours drive) because they could take the day off and then have plenty of time before the Game if they left Indy around noon.  I do not coach Football anymore so I am admittedly not an expert on this.

I liked the old Thur./Fri. format. We tried Fri./Sat. and Sat./Sun., but Thur./Fri. seemed to work best.

In the old days we had Teachers Institute on Thur. and Fri. and it worked out good. When that ended and everyone changed Fall Break days it became harder for some to get there. I know it is impossible to accomadate everyone, but I don't think this will go over very well. I also liked it closer to the start of the season.

It may seem good for a football coach if you are close to Indy, but if you have to drive any distance it will be difficult to get there and make it worth your time and money.

It takes me three and a half hours to get to Indy. We practice on Wed. getting out about 5:30, 6 by the time all the parents pick up their kids (thats 7:00 indy time). This puts me there about 10:30 Indy time. We have to practice on Thur. starting at 3:15. Alot of teams in southern indiana play middle school and freshman games on Thursdays. To get there I'll have to leave no later than about 12:30 Indy time. Is it even worth going to?

I'm lucky this year, we play on Tuesday because of Fall break. I will skip conditioning after the game on Wed. and leave early on Thur. to get back for practice. If it hadn't worked out like this, I wouldn't even consider going.

I've only missed maybe one or two clinics in the last 29 years, if it stays like this I may not be able to continue coming. I think it is important to attend the Fall and Spring clinics to find out what is going on, but this is going to make it more difficult for alot of coaches of another sport and lay coaches.

Just one old coach's thoughts on this.

• 3 weeks later...

There has been a change in the clinician for the IHSWCA Fall Clinic.  Mark Schultz has been unemployed for a time, and he was called about a job and the day of our clinic is when the potential employer wanted to interview him so naturally Mark had to opt out of doing the clinic.  The great news is that Rich Bender from USA Wrestling helped us get Bill Zadick to take his place.  Most of you know Bill Zadick has an impressive resume.  He has been a World Champion, NCAA Champion, and Big Ten Champion as well as assisting at Iowa and with the current US National Team.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.