alternative practice schedules

Can anyone clarify whether wrestlers are allowed to have practice schedules to workout with more advanced technical clubs, clinics, or teams during their high school career?  How can that be cooridinated with their high school wrestling practices?

From what I understand the rule is that you cannot have contact with any other high school wrestlers outside of your school team mates or another high school coach during the season. Out of season all you want.

Warrendasd,

True.

There have been at least three state place winners striped of their medals after the state tournament for practicing with wrestlers from other schools before the finals.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Someone mentioned that some top wrestlers did extra technique work with a club program.  Is that allowed during the season or do you think that they work with these clubs after the season?  What is the official calendar for the season- Is is Nov-Feb. or other months?

Someone mentioned that some top wrestlers did extra technique work with a club program.  Is that allowed during the season or do you think that they work with these clubs after the season?  What is the official calendar for the season- Is is Nov-Feb. or other months?

As long as the kids are not from another high school they should be fine. As I read the rule, a high school kid can work out with a kid from a middle school if he chooses. Just not a kid from a different high school.

Here is the rule from the IHSAA's by-laws

b. Student-athletes may receive private lessons so long as:

(1) they are not mandated, scheduled or paid for by the school;

(2) no school practices or competitions are missed; and

(3) no student from another school is participating in the lesson.

Why is there a rule forbidding workouts with other high schools?  What is the logic here, I ask because it's the first time I've ever seen such a rule. It seems that shared workouts with other local post season wrestlers would benefit them.  I know in Iowa the local high schools organize practice sessions with the state qualifiers. Those who will be competiting against each other just don't work out together but usually they have already wrestled each other many times so it doesn't matter.  Just curious as to when and why this rule was implemented. 

Warrendasd,

True.

There have been at least three state place winners striped of their medals after the state tournament for practicing with wrestlers from other schools before the finals.

TheAncientElder (TAE)

The Imperial Potentate and Grand Poobah of Classless wrestling in Indiana.

I wear my Fez with pride.

www.theancientelder.net

Recently???

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.