VA Beach vs. Iowa - Nationals????

AJ

Is there a big difference in the level of competition between the two?  Is VA better for Juniors and Seniors and Iowa better for Freshmen and Sophs?  Are the tournaments equal?

Comments....

We were discussing this same question tonight while finishing up a day of wrestling in Iowa.  The competition is comparable.  We find more midwest and western states wrestling in Iowa (Michigan, Minnesota, Iowa, Kansas, North Dakota, etc) and it looked like in Virginia Beach there were more wrestlers from the east coast.  College  Coach are at both venues as well.  We decided the only difference is the weather.

Not really sure, but alot of college recruiters were at Va. Beach. I was surprised at the # of Head Coachs. Some of the universities there were (and i'm sure I missed alot):

Penn State

Ohio State

Indiana

Illinois

Wisconsin (Head Coach)

Minnesota

Iowa

Iowa State (Cael Sanderson)

Missouri

Oklahoma State

Oklahoma

Hoffstra

Lehigh

Edinboro

Old Dominion

Ryder

North Carolina

NC State

Maryland (Kerry McCoy-Head Coach)

Virginia

Va Tech

Appalachian State

UT-Chattanooga

Harvard

Stanford

Princeton

Yale

Boise State

And I could not even begin to list the D2 & other small schools that we saw there. Most of which I did not know.

You could probably put up the same list in Iowa. Pretty equal with a little different Tournament set up. USA Wrestling vs NHSCA this makes each tournaments purpose a little different. Junior vs Junior or Senior vs Senior(Virginia Beach) is a better place to measure talent when you are recruiting. Iowa had a lot of kids trying to get better for high school. This is good for the sport of wrestling which is one of USA Wrestlings purposes. One is not better than the other. Just a little geography. How about the beach vs a corn field?   ;D

I would agree. We have been to both and I feel that if you are a Cadet & below or a Sophomore or below that Iowa is a better stepping stone. If you are a Junior or Senior in high school, I feel that Va. Beach is the better choice. But the bottom line is get out and wrestle!

Does Va Beach seem like it drags out forever or is it just me? I know Iowa had at least 5 rounds done on Friday. My biggest thing with Va Beach is that you need to be on spring break to go because the kids are missing to many days of school.

Does Va Beach seem like it drags out forever or is it just me? I know Iowa had at least 5 rounds done on Friday. My biggest thing with Va Beach is that you need to be on spring break to go because the kids are missing to many days of school.

The year my son went out to Virginia Beach to wrestle, he had to miss one or two days of school.   If your school has incentives for perfect attendance (skip a final, etc) this hurts your son's opportunities for these incentives.  Virginia Beach wrestles the under classman during the week and reserves the weekend wrestling for the Seniors.  Of course, this is by design for the college coaches.  This year in Iowa, the Cadets and Juniors had to miss at least one day of school since they wrestled on Friday - maybe 1 1/2 days if you consider travel time.   I believe both tournaments are two day tournaments, it's just that Virginia Beach starts in the middle of the week and Iowa starts close to the weekend.

From what I here if you want some college coaches to see your talent go to Virgina Beach there was quite a few college coaches and great comp.

Your are only hearing 1/2 the story.  College coaches are at both places.  Great competition can be found at either place as stated above. While I was in Iowa, I saw many college coaches that I recognize from Fargo from working on the pairings platform.    College coaches are only looking at Juniors and Seniors and a few underclass phenoms.  As MacDaddy said, just get out and wrestle. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.