IHSWCA vs. non-IHSWCA members

NickS

I came across some interesting #'s when looking at the IHSWCA member's list (thanks by the way Y2) and combined it with the state qualifier #'s compiled on another thread by Y2.

132 schools have at least one IHSWCA member, 74 are "big schools" and 58 are "small schools."  From the past 12 years of state qualifiers...

1645 qualifiers come from IHSWCA member schools - 12.46 average

1042 qualifiers come from non-IHSWCA member schools - 5.86 average

1271 qualifiers from IHSWCA "big schools" - 17.81 average

714 qualifiers from non-IHSWCA "big schools" - 8.81 average

374 qualifiers from IHSWCA "small schools" - 6.45 average

328 qualifiers from non-IHSWCA "small schools" - 3.38 average

That "small school" number would have an even bigger gap if someone from Mater Dei decided to become an IHSWCA member.  This is what the "small school" average would look like if Mater Dei had a member.  7.80 average for IHSWCA to 2.52 for non-IHSWCA

Now, I'm not really suggesting that if you became a member that you'd magically become better and have more state qualifiers.  I'm just suggesting the people that are members are much more likely to care about their programs and wrestling in general.  Who's to say that the coaches, that are too lazy to become IHSWCA members, aren't doing what needs to be done to put a strong program together?  I think these numbers reveal this possibility.

It shows that year round trainging is the factor paying off more then any other factor.  School size amoung other things do not corrilate nearly as much.

Let's try not to make this too much of a class thread please.  My main emphasis is on IHSWCA vs. non-IHSWCA, not big school vs. small school.

That is pretty bad. You make a thread that is not about class wrestling and mvw gets on here and tries to start leading it that way. Geesh enough about class wrestling for awhile. I think that is an interesting fact. Of course there are coaches out there who work their butts off that aren't members, but it does show being involved might help a little. Nice stats.

That is pretty bad. You make a thread that is not about class wrestling and mvw gets on here and tries to start leading it that way. Geesh enough about class wrestling for awhile. I think that is an interesting fact. Of course there are coaches out there who work their butts off that aren't members, but it does show being involved might help a little. Nice stats.

I'm sure there are some non-members that work hard on their programs.  But it's only logical (in my mind) that if you put 24/7/365 work into your program, that you're going to get involved with the IHSWCA.  If your not putting in a ton of work into your program, you're less likely to be involved with the IHSWCA.

There is a correlation between members coaches producing more state qualifiers then non member coaches. It is the same correlation that is present between ISWA members and non ISWA members. That is you are spending time in the off season doing work to better yourself, you are talking with other coaches, and picking up tidbits of info that will help make you a better coach. Better coaching = better wrestlers. I dont care what you do for a living, you need to belong to the professional organizations that are available to you.

This information ought to be sent out to every schools AD and wrestling coach as part of the introduction packet, or in an offer to join.

Oh crap, the last time I was a member was the last time we took someone to state. Maybe it's some type of X-Files type mystery.

I'm not a member of the IHSWCA and I take extreme offense to the comments above. I run the elementary program, coach the elementary traveling team, coach the club team, do the off season workouts, and the summer program. Not to mention endless fundraisers throughout the summer that takes a huge cut into my family time. I give a lot of (and if you ask my wife too much) time to the program. When it comes down to putting that money towards hotels and travel expenses for the kids or joining the IHSWCA, I have to pick travel expenses. Travel expenses eat up my budget by them selves, not to mention other expenditures.

As much as Y2 and Karl are going to jump on me, it came down to what did I personally get of the IHSWCA? I wasn't using it to my advantage, so I decided to put that money elsewhere. The IHSWCA is a great organization and after everything that has happened on this site, I am looking forward to re-joining next year after a 2 year hiatus. Maybe others, instead of complaining, can do the same and sign up.

Oh crap, the last time I was a member was the last time we took someone to state. Maybe it's some type of X-Files type mystery.

I'm not a member of the IHSWCA and I take extreme offense to the comments above. I run the elementary program, coach the elementary traveling team, coach the club team, do the off season workouts, and the summer program. Not to mention endless fundraisers throughout the summer that takes a huge cut into my family time. I give a lot of (and if you ask my wife too much) time to the program. When it comes down to putting that money towards hotels and travel expenses for the kids or joining the IHSWCA, I have to pick travel expenses. Travel expenses eat up my budget by them selves, not to mention other expenditures.

As much as Y2 and Karl are going to jump on me, it came down to what did I personally get of the IHSWCA? I wasn't using it to my advantage, so I decided to put that money elsewhere. The IHSWCA is a great organization and after everything that has happened on this site, I am looking forward to re-joining next year after a 2 year hiatus. Maybe others, instead of complaining, can do the same and sign up.

Like that has been stated before, these numbers are only a correlation and there are some exceptions with non-IHSWCA members.  But what the numbers do hint at, is the  IHSWCA coaches are more driven to build stronger programs.  Now the question is why?

Triple B, my remarks were not intended to offend anyone, they were offered only as a way to support the coaches association.

I understand that there are coaches that do a fine job, and donate uncounted thousands of hours to the sport. I just happen to believe in professional organizations as a way to suplement the coaches, and if ran the right way ought to help them become better coaches.

I am not a high school coach, but in my profession, there are several organizations that I can and do belong to that help me understand new products that are coming onto the market, help me remember the basics that I learned way to many years ago, and offer me a sounding board for new ideas. I dont know about the IHSWCA and how it operates, but it should be doing these things for its members. If it is not, then maybe having quality guys like you involved would help make it into the organization that it should be.

Thank you wcs145 for these statistics - very impressive!  As others have already mentioned on this thread, statistics and data are handy to look at in an effort to analyze general trends to strive for improvement, but there are always exceptions to the rule.  I sympethize with TripleB in the fact that 10-15 years ago there were a few years that I quite honestly forgot to join our coaches' association; time slipped by with a busy schedule and then the next wrestling season was on the horizon.  There are certainly many hard working coaches in our state that for one reason or another do not join our association. 

With that being said I would agree that the statistics presented at the top of this thread indicate a general trend that successful programs tend to have coaches who are detail oriented (i.e. - give attention to wrestling tasks of all varieties - on and off the mat).  I would be very curious to see data on numbers of "lay" coaches vs "teaching" coaches in our state who are or aren't members.  I would also like to see data with regard to age groupings of head coaches and assistant coaches across our state.  This type of data could be helpful in making sure "lay" coaches and "younger" coaches across our state are receiving support (mentoring) from our state coaches' association.  As a lay coach myself for 18 years, I had to work extra hard to be sure I stayed abreast of paperwork, procedures and other small details that go along with being a coach. 

As mentioned in TripleB's thread, for whatever reason he did not feel compelled (or see the worth) in belonging to the IHSWCA during certain years.  I appreciate feedback of this nature on various topics.  As a member of the IHSWCA myself, I hope we can begin to analyze data and feedback such as this in an attempt to make sure that coaches of all types feel it is worth joining their state coaches' association, so they may grow themselves as a coach for their wrestling program.  I hope our association continues to improve, so more coaches see a benefit to joining which in the end will benefit everyone across the board.

Trent McCormick

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.