Compromise on classes - can't we all just get along

I had an idea that I haven't heard proposed before.  I know the NCAA used to let division II wrestlers participate in the div 1 finals and think an expanded version of that could make it a lot more acceptable for all.  I don't have it all worked out, but do you think a comprimise of some sort could be reached between people in favor of classes and not in favor of classes by doing something like this:

1.  Split the state into 2 classes.

2.  Small schools start their tournament 1 week early, or combine sectional and regional so they finish 1 week earlier than the large schools.

3.  Top 4 kids in the small school tournament qualify to compete in the large school tournament as a 2 or 3 seed.

4.  Large schools qualify 3 for state so you end up with 16 kids total after you add in the 4 qualifiers from the small school tournament.

Benefits -

Kids from small schools have a chance to compete against the large schools.

Kids from small schools can still win a state championship.

Two tournaments would probably draw more fans than a single state tournament since the best kids end up in final tournament.  (Fans' interest remains.)

Disadvantages:

Large schools would have to give up their a 4th place semi-state qualifier to make room for the small school qualifiers.

It would have to be sold to the IHSAA as a money maker, but I think it would be something would be fair and possibly get around some of the problems everyone has agreeing on what is wrong with the other's ideas.

I apologize if this has been suggested before, I just thought it was something that would be a fair solution for everyone.  Not sure what large schools would think of giving up a 4th place finisher.  The hardest part would be getting the IHSAA to implement it correctly. 

Is this reasonable, or unacceptable, or just too much to ask for?

ok truth of the matter I would not see classing team as a bad thing, but classing the individual would come along with it.  After all how many states do not have both.  I am purposing that the small school wresters at the state tournement level benifit more from those matches then they do for all other matches during the season.  For some of these wrestler especially the small schools this is their first time for real competition.  It is a little harder for small schools to fill competitive schedules, and with the new system it will segregate there competition even more.  After all as a coach I want to wrestle as many teams that will be in state as I can to get my wrestlers a better look at thier competition. 

Lets take a specific  example Union County's Michael Duckworth.  I would argue that he wrestled better compitition in the state tournement then he wrestled all season in fact he probably barly was teasted by 95% of his compitition with there schedule.  In this case amoung a lot of others small school wrestlers would probably agree that there is no need to split up the individual competition.  It does hurt the wrestlers that will be college atheletes.  There is no shame in not being the best, but their is a shame to have two great wrestlers not compete against each other because of a system.  Y2 you have said it yourself only 25 % of the wrestlers are from small schools.  How would putting a class system allow for college level athelets like mr duckworth to be tested on a regular basis?  The wrestlers of smaller schools do not fear bigger schools the may be intimadated by the man in front of them but not the school.

How would your new system help struggling big schools.  There are problems at all levels, and you are blinded by it.  Big schools don't fill rosters either and you know from experience that a small school can compete your team has nearly a 70 % winning the past 5 season vs bigger schools.  How are bad small schools going to get better because of the switch.  It will make a mediocer small school a little better it will make a bad small school worse and it will make a mediocre big school horrible.  This is not the time to be messing with the system.  the economy is down and Indiana wrestling is up.  Your system is totally unfair to big schools who do not have established programs.  It also won't promote wrestling to bad smaller schools because they will still be at the bottom of the barrel.  It only helps the top and the top of the small schools are already established wrestling communities.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.