Attributes of a Great Wrestler? Rank

drewboy78

Okay it's too quiet on here and this was something I was wondering the other day.  Sorry if it's been brought up in the recent past.  But, what attributes, in order of importance, do YOU think make a great wrestler.

Speed, Strength, Conditioning/Endurance, Technique, Yrs. Experience, Coaching, Discipline/Dedication, Off Season Workouts/Camps

Those are 8 of the major ones I can think of...am I forgetting any other major ones?  Anyway...what ranks most to least important In Your Opinions in the attributes required to be the best?

My list:

1. D/D

2. Tech

3. Coaching

4. Strength

5. Endurance

6. Yrs. in

7. Speed

8. Off Season  (hate to see this at 8th...I put a lot of value on it)

In 2003, the Fort Wayne News-Sentinel compiled what the perfect wrestler of the Northeast area would be by combining different attributes that made a wrestler great.  Here is what the article said:

Brains:

Randy Gerber, Bluffton, 112- "perfect 4.0"

Heart:

John Sheets, Bellmont, 119- No explanation necessary

Strength:

Brad Jakacki, Leo, 215- Only wrestled one year, multiple State and National Gymnastic championships, benched nearly 400 pounds

Endurance:

Ryan Lineberry, Snider, 125- Ran cross country just for wrestling

Hand Strength:

Mike DeHoff, Norwell, 189

Balance:

Nick Wells, Woodlan, 135- low center of gravity

Quickness:

Gralan Early, North Side, 119- See explanation for Sheets

Man you forgot to mention mental toughness coupled with physical toughness. Maybe that is a sub heading under one of your others. "The subconscious mind does not know the difference between reality and fantasy" You have to "BELIEVE". Another quote to live by from Olympic Great--- Billy Mills

#10 Tradition.

Let's face it, kids from traditional wrestling dominate schools seem to carry themselves higher than those kids from non wrestling schools.  Although the kids that are true competitors want to wrestle the best kids, where ever they may be from.

But there are alot of kids that get nervous as soon as they find out they are wrestling a kid from a Dominate wrestling school.

Man you forgot to mention mental toughness coupled with physical toughness. Maybe that is a sub heading under one of your others. "The subconscious mind does not know the difference between reality and fantasy" You have to "BELIEVE". Another quote to live by from Olympic Great--- Billy Mills

Just finished reading Season On The Mat (Iowa's 1997 run to the NCAA title and Gable's last year as head coach) and I would agree that mental toughness needs to one of the criteria.  I've always maintained that mental toughness in wrestling, more than any other sport, is a requisite to success and if not at the top of the list is definitely in the top 3.  Gable really preached the mental aspect to his guys going into big meets like the Natl Duals, Midlands and NCAA's.  Great book for those of you who haven't read it yet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.