Hope for the future

tspray1

I will say that I am a very good friend of Steve VanderAa.  I didn't post Trent's name because I don't have respect for the others.  I know Steve's stance on things and him and I totaly agree.  What surprised me is where Trent stood, and it was something that I had to acknowledge.  I love wrestling, but the old school thought process has got to go.  Nothing against sme of the people who have been around longer than most of us, because some of them have come around.  I don't fault anyone for having different views than my own.  But when you sit there tell me that I feel a certain way because it will benefit me well that offends me, that is not at all why I believe what I do.  Class wrestling will not hurt this state.  No one likes changes I understand that it is hard to change hell im a republican (ducks) I love things staying the same, but I have an evolving mindset and I am open to what will be best.

For those of you who still feel that I only feel this way because I only care about the Pioneer High School Program, you are dead wrong.  This past season will have been my last. I spent 9 seasons there doing my best to help the kids that wrestled for me.  I have accepted a job in Wisconsin where my wife is from (Wisconsin Rapids, Wis).  The people in the community of Royal Center deserve a chance at success at the highest level.  The wrestling team will be left in good hands with Scot Berry being back, and he is a young coach who should have a chance at continuing the success that we had. 

I hear all the time well make a feeder program well its been in place the whole 9 years I have been there first year we had 54 kids in the youth program this year we had 36, it has always remained 30-45 range.  We had two iswa state champs last year.  We will when the state series is over hav had 9 wrestlers wrestle at state (peewee thru Junior).

I hope that Indiana wrestling will succeed, my heart will always be here.

Tim Spray

Tim we will misss you :-\ You have inspired me the past 9 seasons :o You have done a super job at Pioneer and you will leave a hole in Indiana Wrestling with your move. Life is all about change. You definitley put Panther Wrestling on the Indiana Map. You made me a better coach and it was always fun to cross swords with you.

All the best to you and your  Family in Ws. ???

Tim, i don't know you personally, but i hear good things. Thank you for your service to the wrestling community.

That being said.... (you know i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you! )

While I'm sure many do their best, and put in years of work, the failure to reach the upper levels of the sport, does not mean we should create a bigger level!  State Champion is sacred. You are the champion of your state, not 'the Champion of your state....within schools that have between 2,000 and 3,000 students'. 

People like me do not disagree with Class Wrestling (yeah i said it) because it's a change, we disagree on principal, based on tradition. I don't want a bunch of state champions. I want State Champion to be an extremely difficult thing to acheive, so that when one does acheive it, it's worth even more to them!

Don't cheapen wrestling, Fight the power!! Wildcat's Leading the Fight to keep wrestling Classless! ( yeah i get the pun!)

Tim, i don't know you personally, but i hear good things. Thank you for your service to the wrestling community.

That being said.... (you know i'm going to go ahead and disagree with you! )

While I'm sure many do their best, and put in years of work, the failure to reach the upper levels of the sport, does not mean we should create a bigger level!   State Champion is sacred. You are the champion of your state, not 'the Champion of your state....within schools that have between 2,000 and 3,000 students'. 

People like me do not disagree with Class Wrestling (yeah i said it) because it's a change, we disagree on principal, based on tradition. I don't want a bunch of state champions. I want State Champion to be an extremely difficult thing to acheive, so that when one does acheive it, it's worth even more to them!

Don't cheapen wrestling, Fight the power!! Wildcat's Leading the Fight to keep wrestling Classless! ( yeah i get the pun!)

Its not about what you like! Its about what is best for the kids!

Tim,

I have enjoyed knowing you as well as being in competition with you.  I have always felt that your teams were well coached, and had a great attitude.  I also want to thank you for the time you put in several years ago to work on the Individual rankings.  People forget stuff like that quickly, but I don't.  In my opinion you are a good coach, a good man, and most importantly, a good husband and father.  I wish you well in Wisconsin.  May God Bless.

Rex

Class wrestling will not hurt this state. 

Growing up a basketball guy in a small school I still  hated the change to class ball, and probably still do.......that being said I think class wrestling would be good in the long run. I have a good friend that helps coach my son that grew up in Michigan (multi state champ) and he says it will turn Indiana wrestling around. The fact that you have more kids exposed to the sport, more feeder programs starting, more wrestlers getting involved coaching.......he actually has me convinced.

Class wrestling will not hurt this state. 

Growing up a basketball guy in a small school I still  hated the change to class ball, and probably still do.......that being said I think class wrestling would be good in the long run. I have a good friend that helps coach my son that grew up in Michigan (multi state champ) and he says it will turn Indiana wrestling around. The fact that you have more kids exposed to the sport, more feeder programs starting, more wrestlers getting involved coaching.......he actually has me convinced.

Bingo, this state needs it. This sport needs it. Good luck tspray1

I hate to see a good coach leave a small school, but wish you the best of luck.  I am clearly against class wrestling and people are probably already sick of hearing me talk about it.  The post about Michigan class wrestling made me laugh a little though.  I live in Michigan and can honestly say there are a lot of kids who wouldn't make it to semi-state in Indiana placing at the state tournament.  Our high school team in Michigan is really not very good and was a final four team in the team state tournament this year.  If that is what your friend meant by turning around Indiana wrestling, I would whole-heartedly agree with him.  I believe Michigan does better than Indiana at Fargo, but I think that it is due to having more kids and schools - NOT class wrestling.  Just my 2 cents on what I have seen in Michigan.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.