ISWA Officiating @ State on Sunday

As most of you who know me, I do not complain  about the way wrestling is done in Indiana. As a matter of fact, I am very positive on Indiana wrestling. But today at the State tournament, as a spectator, father and a coach, I saw some very bad calls inmy opinion. I know what some of you are going to say.........You should try it. My answer is I dont bowl very good so I dont do it. If you dont ref very well, dont do it. I am only asking this of less than a handful of you. Do not take months and months of hard work by these young wrestlers and ruin it with terrible calls. I know this is done with split second decision, but if you are not capable of making those decisions, leave it to the ones that can and work in pairings , run the clock or throw the towel. I thank the ones that seem to have the "knack" for officiating, and we all thank you. My venting is over and Congratulations to all the wrestlers today.

I really think this is why we need to hire officials during our Sunday tournaments. The more mat time the better you are. Maybe next year we can pay $3 dollars more and keep our kids safe and get officials more mat time. It will make Indiana wrestling much better...

I wasn't there (which is an interesting story) so I can't really comment on YOUR opinion.

I will make this comment however. Similar to your bowling analogy....if you don't know the first thing about it...don't complain. Those guys worked their butts off for two days so your kids would have a chance to wrestle in a safe environment.

If there were mistakes made-and there probably were, we are all human-they were not intentional. So you saw some bad calls. Were they all bad? Did they make more good calls than bad? Were all of your coaching, spectator and parenting decisons exactly right today?

I wasn't there (which is an interesting story) so I can't really comment on YOUR opinion.

I will make this comment however. Similar to your bowling analogy....if you don't know the first thing about it...don't complain. Those guys worked their butts off for two days so your kds would have a chance to wrestle in a safe environment.

If there were mistakes made-and there probably were, we are all human-they were not intentional. So you saw some bad calls. Were they all bad? Did they make more good calls than bad? Were all of your coaching, spectator and parenting decisons exactly right today?

I did not say I did not know a thing about bowling, I am just not very good when I do it.  And I did thank the ones that are good at it. And yes I do believe my spectator and coaching decisions were good, I did not coach my own wrestler, I leave that in the hands of Head Coaches from one of the Top High school Programs in the state. But to put my child in the hands of a less then adequate official, well I guess I need to question my parenting skills.

I know there is going to be mistakes, we are all human as you kind of put it, but to not even want to discuss a callwith the coaches and turn his back on them.................well maybe I dont know much about it then.

You are correct you did not say you didn't know a thing about bowling.

Your comments directed at good people who were trying to do something for the youth of  Indiana when they could have been doing anythig else was a "bad call"

You are correct you did not say you didn't know a thing about bowling.

Your comments directed at good people who were trying to do something for the youth of  Indiana when they could have been doing anythig else was a "bad call"

I agree and was , like I said earlier, just Venting. And in all honesty, it was a problem with just one of your crew. I apoligize to the other 99% because it is a thankless job but please if after the fact a ref  feels or the coaches feel you made a mistake on a call, which I am sure it does happen, dont ignore calm questioning, which was what we were trying to do. They just wanted an explaination and it was a calm atmosphere when we tried to discuss it.

I must agree with wrestler, we had a ref who we asked in a calm manner to watch the other wrestler who was scratching and gouging a wrestlers face and I got a smart a** answer something like thanks for the observation I will handle it. I than asked another officials opinion and he did talk to him (thank you LITTLEJOHN). Another match the official took the focus off of two great young wrestlers by messing up the score and then calling a take down out of bounds & after time expired , that decision was reversed by other officials . THANK YOU to all who volunteered and great job by 95% of the officials.

Fair enough

Sir, I can only imagine how bad that job sucks, I watch a lot of wrestling and would not want to do it...I would not do it. I would say that almost all of my experiences have been positive, win or lose.  But I just needed to get something off my chest and now I can eat and sleep ;D

I'm just glad we had bad refs today....I mean, if it weren't for the bad calls then we would have to post comments on here about how proud of our kids we are........

Life is full of bad calls......some are far worse than others (think about that for a minute)

I seen a few bad calls today, but it was a long weekend for everyone.....If the tables were turned, would you of walked out on the mat and asked to reverse the call?

Hats off to EVERYONE that helped out in any way @ Ben Davis this weekend. It was a well ran tournement!!

Fair enough

Sir, I can only imagine how bad that job sucks, I watch a lot of wrestling and would not want to do it...I would not do it. I would say that almost all of my experiences have been positive, win or lose.  But I just needed to get something off my chest and now I can eat and sleep ;D

Can I ask the question to everyone who talked bad about the officials here?  when will you be achieving your stripes?  It is completely different from being a spectator, coach, or wrestler.   :)

I will never want or get my stripes. But I will never be President either but I can complain about the decisions that Government is making.  I vote and I paid for my  ISWA card so if i want to gripe for a minute, I feel I can. But I am over it and will move on in a positive manner.  Grecoref and myself has discussed the issue and I am good and so is he.  Great job today everyone at Ben Davis ;D

I also make it a point not to complain about officials, they do a tough thankless job.  But my intension is to mention this in a constructive way.

In a match that I was coaching one wrestler had another in a figure four on the body, when the action stopped the ref acknowledged the violation and actually said he's not going to call that in a kids tournament, and explained to the boy why he couldn't figure four the body and no penalty point. These were novice wrestlers, and this is not a learning day per say, IT'S THE STATE FINALS be responsible make the call.

I also saw one wrestler using an anaconda choke in three different matches with no call, check me if I'm wrong but someone's been showing that boy some MMA submition holds. But hey if it's not called it's not illegal right geeezzzz.... I will say that I did also see some very good officiating as well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.