How Can a Football Coach........

funk

How can a football coach who also happens to be an administrater have the balls to tell certain varsity wrestlers who also excel at football that they (the coach) do not want the athletes to go out for wrestling next year because they are afraid the athlete might get hurt?  Once again why is wrestling getting punished?  He isn't talking to basketball players about this.  This is most likely why a school our size (4A) cannot get big kids to come out for wrestling once they get into high school.  To me it is a bunch of crap.  Especially from an administrater.  Heck I even pretty much forced my kid to go out for football last year because I think you should be in more that one sport.  Opinions?

It doesn't really matter to me.  I am tired of the games that people play.  We are the dirt of the athletic system.  The political side of athletics disturbs me.  My tour of duty as a coach has pretty much come full circle anyway. I love it, I love the kids.......but I can only kiss the behind for so long if you know what I mean.

The really sad part is that these teenage kids can be easily manipulated  by the coaches of these, how do I say it,  "For-Profit" sports.  With threats of not starting or benching, it could weigh heavy on Student Athletes, and force them to make irrational decisions.

Shame on the Coach/Administrator

Two things about this post disturb me.....

first i hate the idea that a coach from one sport from the fall season is stealing from another sport in another season.... this is wrong... high school kids should be able to decide what sports they wish to do and be allowed to play them.

Second, the fact that you forced your son to play a sport is wrong... shame on you.... this makes you just as bad as the coach/administrator.... you are forcing action on your child to play a sport... both of you are forcing children to do what they do not really want, but what they are manipulated to do.

Two things about this post disturb me.....

first i hate the idea that a coach from one sport from the fall season is stealing from another sport in another season.... this is wrong... high school kids should be able to decide what sports they wish to do and be allowed to play them.

Second, the fact that you forced your son to play a sport is wrong... shame on you.... this makes you just as bad as the coach/administrator.... you are forcing action on your child to play a sport... both of you are forcing children to do what they do not really want, but what they are manipulated to do.

i cant name any but im sure there have been situations where a parent forced a kid in to a sport and the kid ended up loving it

Yet i wonder what the ratio is to those who ended up loving it and hating it..... i know of atleast one personally where this happened and he hated it and it has caused problems even past his hs years.

So yeah, while there are some who might like it in the end.... is it really worth the risk of causing hard feelings between a parent and a child throughout their lives?

I understand both sides here but many parents NEED to give their kids a kick in the butt to try a new sport or extracurricular activity. If you let the kid decide what he/she wants to do, 9 times out of 10 they'll pick their Xbox360 or laptop computer. Now I am not in favor of forcing your child to play a sport but giving them a kick in the rear is never a bad thing.

Forcing your kid to do a particular something vs forcing a kid to pick something to do are completely different....... My view is that if a kid wants to play an insrument, then the parents are more than right if they push their kid to do their best, and if they choose to focus on academics only the same goes.... same with sports, same with any other activity even if it be underwater basket weaving.

However, for the parent to choose the activites or the activity is not right under any circumstances.

Forcing your kid to do a particular something vs forcing a kid to pick something to do are completely different....... My view is that if a kid wants to play an insrument, then the parents are more than right if they push their kid to do their best, and if they choose to focus on academics only the same goes.... same with sports, same with any other activity even if it be underwater basket weaving.

However, for the parent to choose the activites or the activity is not right under any circumstances.

Do they have an underwater basket weaving league in this area?  Also, if they do, are the air tanks provided, or do ya have to bring your own, or would this be a free dive underwater league?           

;D

But on a serious note, yes sometimes a parent needs to get the kids off the couch, and out doing something other then playing games on the computer. However it has to be on some level the kids choice. Now that does not mean they can choose any sport, some of them can get rather expensive, and not all parents can afford the horse for equestrian. But to force them into an activity because it os one you like is just as wrong as allowing them to sleep the day away and do nothing.

I think you got my point exactly warrendad, but yes money is an issue, but that does not mean the activity must be a sport not all kids are into sports (i don't know why they aren't  ;)) so parents must also keep in mind that there are other non-athletic activities.... and last I knew underwater basketweaving was a sport that involved holding your breath.... so no air tanks provided hahahaha

I think you got my point exactly warrendad, but yes money is an issue, but that does not mean the activity must be a sport not all kids are into sports (i don't know why they aren't  ;)) so parents must also keep in mind that there are other non-athletic activities.... and last I knew underwater basketweaving was a sport that involved holding your breath.... so no air tanks provided hahahaha

Guess that means I have to give up the smokes......

And yes, they can choose music, drama, student council, chess, high schools, and other organizations offer a wide array of activites to keep kids busy and out of trouble. Anyting to give them somethign to do other then sit around all day.

There really wasn't a forcing of joining a sport.  Bad wording on my part.  He loves the sport (football) but just not the political side of it.  My reasoning was, to keep him in shape for wrestling because I was having to go to 2nd shift at the time.  I wasn't going to be there to take him to open mats or to work out with him.  Totally my fault for not explaining in greater detail.

There really wasn't a forcing of joining a sport.  Bad wording on my part.  He loves the sport (football) but just not the political side of it.  My reasoning was, to keep him in shape for wrestling because I was having to go to 2nd shift at the time.  I wasn't going to be there to take him to open mats or to work out with him.  Totally my fault for not explaining in greater detail.

If that is the worst mistake you make, then you are way ahead of the game. But we have all seen parents out there like what we are talking about in here. So sad.

I am hoping that when my son is 25 and older, he still wants to come around, and be more of a friend with me then he can be now. I kinda like the person he is becoming.

Lots of great posts, but its kind of gotten off topic.  While I agree that parents forcing their children into activities they are not comfotable with is intolerable.  I think the intention of the post is dealing with football coaches who coerce their student athletes to choose between two seperate season sports, which the athlete has the desire and compassion for both. 

If we're discussing it on this forum, then I seriously doubt it's just isolated incidents

We will all make mistakes and I as a parent  have told my child that I will make mistakes as will they.  It just seems like it is a never ending battle with the politics and sports.  Wrestling (in my opinion) is the one sport that cannot play that card.  You have challenge matches to determine who is varsity and unless you loose the spot in a challenge or break the team or school rules, it is your spot.  That is not the case with other sports.  It is who (supposedly) the COACH thinks is best suited for the position, in other sports.  Now that I think about it golf and tennis would most likely be the same.  I guess you could really hold the argument for all sports in a way but wrestling really stands out to me.  Bottom line, leave the kids alone and let them participate, and quit being so darn selfish and greedy at the expense of another sport.

Been down this road before...Definately unethical, but if you make a fuss about it, it will be swept under the rug by the administration...Football and Basketball pay the bills!!!

I would have to agree that it is totally unethical, especially as an administrator.  And it would probably get swept under the rug the first time or two, but a pattern of this behavior on a coaches part and the school board might take notice.  I personally would talk to the coach first and see what he has to say.  If it isn't settled there I would file a formal complaint with the school board and the IHSAA.  The school might be able to keep it in house but the IHSAA is a different story. 

I have also seen instances where a wrestler who plays football is trying to keep his weight down for the wrestling season and the football coaches encourage (putting it nicely) the athlete to gain weight to better themselves and the team for football.  Also unethical in my eyes.  It is the athletes decision to make, not the coaches.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.