How would you rate your local newspaper's wrestling coverage?

AJ

I have had the privilege of speaking with and reporting wrestling scores to newspapers and reporters for several years.  Over and over as the years have progressed I have heard reporters speak of how wrestling has been it's own enemy.  The papers keep talking about money and time.  They are quick to point out the downfall of reporting of wrestling.  First we had mainly dual meets and a few tournies-fairyly good reporting; then we went to some duals, a few triple-duals and one or two tournies; then we go greedy and then came the onslaught of 4-ways, 5-ways, super 6's, and 16 team tournies.  The reporters with their limited time and limited knowledge about the sport of wrestling are over-taken with stacks of results.  Where as the reporting of a swim meet, basketball game, etc. is much easier to report and understand.  Then one must throw in another sport to cover and that is girls basketball.  So what is the answer with the money and time crunch that it is?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think th school's A.D. should be the one calling in the scores. I think they should be more involved like they do the other sports.

Wrestling never gets the coverage it deserves! And never will! Because so many kids are not commited to go through what they must to get to be good at the sport we all love!  Our local paper gives more page space to a 6TH Place Basketball Tournament Finnish Than A First Place Wrestling Tournament Finnish! Last year at our own Tournament they didnt even have our concession stand fully stocked! And no hot food! It just goes to show you that the school admin doesnt care!

• 2 weeks later...

The Republic in Columbus is terrible.  I submit information to them after every meet which usually is just a list of results.  They don't even print all of the information I send them.  We have the anual dual between Columbus East and Columbus North this Wednesday.  We'll see if the coverage will be more than just small section in the results page or if they give an article.

The starpress, the local ECI paper, had ZERO coverage of the ECIC tournament this past weekend.  The tournament was held in Jay County, which gets the starpress newspaper!

Our paper is so bad, it might make you want to read my wrestling blog on thestarpress.com.   :D

After the 135 match in which Clayton Harry, well, if you were there you rememebered it, Michael Casagrande came up to me and asks, "What happened there?"  I said, "You misssed it?!"  He said, "I saw it, but I don't really know anything about wrestling."

Go StarPress!

The Times of NW IN. seems to be running more articles this year but it's still sub-par at best. WE need Ducky back!

For having 20 some odd teams they did a lousey job on da lake county/ not 1 picture and did not have da 3rd and 5th pklace matches on da scorecard

The Times of NW IN. seems to be running more articles this year but it's still sub-par at best. WE need Ducky back!

For having 20 some odd teams they did a lousey job on da lake county/ not 1 picture and did not have da 3rd and 5th pklace matches on da scorecard

I thought the same thing.  Perhaps it took up too much precious newspaper space.  List top 8 I say.

I sent a nasty e-mail to our local paper today about how poor the coverage of wrestling was and the sports editor sent me a reply that a reporter would be at our practice tonight to due an article on our upcoming dual with croos-town rival Columbus North.  Maybe I should send nasty e-mails more often. LOL

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.