Freestyle and Greco Season

16 hours ago, Bag of Hammers said:

Does your high school program encourage wrestling freestyle and greco?  Why?

Of course, lots of great skills to be learned from the Olympic styles that carry over into the scholastic season. It also breathes fresh air into the room with the difference of techniques/styles and gets kids out of their comfort zone. 

I know CG has a lot of Freestyle and Greco participation.  I believe we sent 7 juniors and cadets last year to Fargo.  All of them medaled at IHSAA state except 1 who lost in the blood round at Semi State.  Nothing beats mat time and working on your feet.  Greco is a whole different tool bag that can make the difference in a tight match.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

We would like to, but it's difficult when Freestyle/Greco season is the same as spring sports season, of which 99% of our kids do a spring sport. 

I had that when I competed in the 80's.  I went to a small school and played football, wrestled and ran track.  In the bigger schools it seems kids specialize a bit more.  It is hard to be a multi-sport athlete bc everything is so competitive.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Bag of Hammers said:

I had that when I competed in the 80's.  I went to a small school and played football, wrestled and ran track.  In the bigger schools it seems kids specialize a bit more.  It is hard to be a multi-sport athlete bc everything is so competitive.  Perhaps I'm wrong.

Yup, definitely hard to be a multisport athlete, especially in a small school. We're lucky that we have some guys that are falling in love with wrestling and wanting to get as much in as they can, even during their other sports. But it's still hard to do a full freestyle/greco season with all their normal practices and weekend meets. 

I'm all for doing as many extra circular activities as possible.  But if a kid isn't doing so then he/she needs freestyle and greco in their life.  I always enjoyed freestyle more than folkstyle and like greco more than freestyle.