Iran wrestling news

Just now, danny rihani said:

Sad if the reason is only  because they don't allow womens to compete without head scarf.  But i don't know the real reason im just asking .

If a country wants to host a UWW event, they have to abide by UWW rules.  That means women should be allowed to wrestle in UWW sanctioned attire, and thst cannot ban any other counties (eg Israel) from competing 

4 minutes ago, danny rihani said:

I wonder why though ,are you banned from hosting it? so iran the biggest and arguably best Wrestling nation didn't host the worlds for the last 20 years  , 

Because worlds are now hosted with all three styles together in the same event. The one in 2002 is strictly freestyle. Women aren't allowed to wrestle in the standardized singlets so it's simply impossible for worlds to be held in Iran right now.

World cups on the other hand have been held in Iran much more recently and I believe one was supposed to be held in iran this year but got canceled.

I also don't believe holding worlds in Iran would do much for the sport internationally. Wrestling is already popular in Iran, just because it's being held in Iran doesn't mean more Americans and Europeans will be tuning in.

8 minutes ago, danny rihani said:

I wonder why though ,are you banned from hosting it? so iran the biggest and arguably best Wrestling nation didn't host the worlds for the last 20 years  , 

The UWW only opposes politicisation of sport when Iran does it

The biggest problem is probably women wrestling. Realistically the only solution would be for Iran to host it with Qatar or Turkey etc, Iran can host FS and GR and the women can wrestle in Qatar/Turkey/etc

5 minutes ago, The Genius said:

The UWW only opposes politicisation of sport when Iran does it

The biggest problem is probably women wrestling. Realistically the only solution would be for Iran to host it with Qatar or Turkey etc, Iran can host FS and GR and the women can wrestle in Qatar/Turkey/etc

Exactly i was just aboit to propose that another country host women while iran host Men freestyle and greco and its easy to make it happen but i guess its politics.

10 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

Because worlds are now hosted with all three styles together in the same event. The one in 2002 is strictly freestyle. Women aren't allowed to wrestle in the standardized singlets so it's simply impossible for worlds to be held in Iran right now.

World cups on the other hand have been held in Iran much more recently and I believe one was supposed to be held in iran this year but got canceled.

I also don't believe holding worlds in Iran would do much for the sport internationally. Wrestling is already popular in Iran, just because it's being held in Iran doesn't mean more Americans and Europeans will be tuning in.

Atmosphere matter a lot and the whole place going crazy rooting for their wrestlers would definitely make others tune in.

9 minutes ago, Amir.Sol said:

It would create a lot of publicity if nothing else lol

9 minutes ago, Irani said:

Iran has hosted plenty of both FS and GR world cup matches 

I think the competitors really enjoyed the passionate reception, but it did nothing to increase the popularity outsid

Maybe but not all nations participate at world cups, the world championships is the biggest wrestling event of the year and 20 years is a long time. Iran as a big wrestling country should host the event at least once in 10 years.

Just now, danny rihani said:

Maybe but not all nations participate at world cups, the world championships is the biggest wrestling event of the year and 20 years is a long time. Iran as a big wrestling country should host the event at least once in 10 years.

I think if we could start by elevating popularity of wrestling in the top 8 countries, thst would be a great start.  Not counting on Italy or Spain any time soon, but would love for wrestling to get popular enough in US that the at least include the world championship on ESPN.  Same with India, Japan, etc 

4 hours ago, Irani said:

I think if we could start by elevating popularity of wrestling in the top 8 countries, thst would be a great start.  Not counting on Italy or Spain any time soon, but would love for wrestling to get popular enough in US that the at least include the world championship on ESPN.  Same with India, Japan, etc 

I asked about Japan hosting once and was told it’s too expensive for the federation and host city. While wrestling has a relatively high amount of practitioners here it’s not a spectator sport at all. National tournaments basically only have people who trained wrestling or other wrestlers and family members in the audience. 

11 hours ago, kmrabr said:

I asked about Japan hosting once and was told it’s too expensive for the federation and host city. While wrestling has a relatively high amount of practitioners here it’s not a spectator sport at all. National tournaments basically only have people who trained wrestling or other wrestlers and family members in the audience. 

Last year, when Higuchi became the world champion, only a few Iranians commented and congratulated him on his Instagram page.

Another thing to consider is which countries Iran will exclude if their athletes are military personnel. When the U.S. teams have gone there in the past, athletes who were part of the U.S. Army's World Class Athlete Program (WCAP) weren't allowed to enter the country. This is impacts mostly the Greco-Roman squad, but WCAP does have some freestylers on the ladder, which could mean they could be in line for spots in like a world cup or an injury replacement. 

Iran's on my list of places I'd love to go to announce ...