Iran wrestling news

45 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Did you get to interact with the Russians? How was their condition after poor set of results (for them)?

They are angry and upset as expected. They didn't look themselves at all. Didn't expect them to look as bad as they did. Sidakov done well of course. But it took him a while to get going!

11 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I think it's 90% psychological.

Think you’re right. I remember an old coach saying the during a match the fundamental of wrestling is to take your opponent out of their game. Taylor does this before Hassan even steps on the mat. The most Yazdani like performance was his only victory.

1 minute ago, kmrabr said:

When you say on your feet, so two points grounded is ok, ie 1 knee 1 hand? Because Rahman has 3 points grounded = no push out?

one point is grounded...

you go to one knee you are considered in par terre...

think quad pod defense... if head/knee/elbow touch it is a takedown...

3 minutes ago, kmrabr said:

Think you’re right. I remember an old coach saying the during a match the fundamental of wrestling is to take your opponent out of their game. Taylor does this before Hassan even steps on the mat. The most Yazdani like performance was his only victory.

I feel like he needs to go back to his roots. Wrestle the way he used to with the style we know that made him...him! Underhooks, pace, forward pressure, hand fighting.

I feel he's become too scared of the counters and Taylors game in general, that he is forgetting about himself.

I'm not saying he will 100% win if he does this. But I guarantee he will score points and has a better chance, and will be mentally in a much better place and give Taylor a proper match. More like match 1, 2, and 4. Add A bit of mat strategy and caution when required. He can become double Olympic champ-which ultimately is what really matters right? All that matters. Doesn't matter if the h2h is 5-2. If he is Olympic champ then in terms of legacy that will be all that matters, and I bet Taylor would rather have a double Olympic Gold than a positive h2h vs Yaz.

It's very possible. Just also a big challenge. Both guys are warriors. I'm not a fan of those who say cause the other loses they suck or their weak etc.

9 minutes ago, LJB said:

one point is grounded...

you go to one knee you are considered in par terre...

think quad pod defense... if head/knee/elbow touch it is a takedown...

In the quad pod situation both hands are already down so just need one more point of contact from head, knee, or elbow touch the mat for 3 points grounded = takedown.

Im saying, for instance, when defending a sweep single and you only have one knee on the mat that’s 1 point grounded = no takedown.

So in the above screenshot Rahman had underhook and both knees & other hand, elbow on mat, so at least 3 points of contact = grounded, correct? If say he was off one knee, so one foot on the mat, but hand & other knee only in contact, that would be only 2 points of contact so would be a scoring push out?

6 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

I feel like he needs to go back to his roots. Wrestle the way he used to with the style we know that made him...him! Underhooks, pace, forward pressure, hand fighting.

I feel he's become too scared of the counters and Taylors game in general, that he is forgetting about himself.

I'm not saying he will 100% win if he does this. But I guarantee he will score points and has a better chance, and will be mentally in a much better place and give Taylor a proper match. More like match 1, 2, and 4. Add A bit of mat strategy and caution when required. He can become double Olympic champ-which ultimately is what really matters right? All that matters. Doesn't matter if the h2h is 5-2. If he is Olympic champ then in terms of legacy that will be all that matters, and I bet Taylor would rather have a double Olympic Gold than a positive h2h vs Yaz.

It's very possible. Just also a big challenge. Both guys are warriors. I'm not a fan of those who say cause the other loses they suck or their weak etc.

The problem with his old style was that it only worked if he teched or pinned his opponent in the first two minutes, otherwise he ran out of gas

that is what happened in his first two matches against DT, he threw DT around like a rag doll and built a big lead and then ran out of gas

if he can build his endurance to the point that he can do that for the entire match, he would win

4 minutes ago, Irani said:

The problem with his old style was that it only worked if he teched or pinned his opponent in the first two minutes, otherwise he ran out of gas

that is what happened in his first two matches against DT, he threw DT around like a rag doll and built a big lead and then ran out of gas

if he can build his endurance to the point that he can do that for the entire match, he would win

Strongly disagree. In recent matches he had no problem with his endurance and attacked for basically the full six minutes. His problem is with scoring points at all now DT has negated his underhook attacks. 

He always used to lead after the first period but in the last two matches DT has led after the first period - it's not an endurance issue anymore. 

Just now, The Genius said:

Strongly disagree. In recent matches he had no problem with his endurance and attacked for basically the full six minutes. His problem is with scoring points at all now DT has negated his underhook attacks. 

He always used to lead after the first period but in the last two matches DT has led after the first period - it's not an endurance issue anymore. 

Watch his first two matches, the pace of attack was 4 or 5 times the 3rd or 4th match, he was attacking at a much more measured pace after the first two matches

6 minutes ago, Irani said:

Of course, conditioning massive. And easier said than done. But honestly, psychologically I think that is a big thing here.

32 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

He tried that against DT the first two times and it didn't work (and that was before DT made his adjustments).

The only way Yazdani can beat DT is to build a small lead in the first period then shut down his offence for the second period. 

31 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

100% agree.

I think Mohammadi was a great coach but seemed like there was a lot of negativity going into Tokyo about what not to do against Taylor.

When Pejman came in felt a lot more positive and Yaz got his only result. I think scar of last year was massive though. (And now this year too…)

1 minute ago, Irani said:

Watch his first two matches, the pace of attack was 4 or 5 times the 3rd or 4th match, he was attacking at a much more measured pace after the first two matches

The last two matches have been very fast starts by both guys. We already know that Yazdani can't sustain an all out attack like that. The DT of 2018 is not the DT of 2023. He has made incredible adjustments so even if that was ever a winning strategy for Yazdani (which it wasn't, he got pinned and lost 11-6) it wouldn't work now. He needs counter-adjustments to re-establish his underhooks or to find new ways to score. 

1 minute ago, Uwwdoc said:

Of course, conditioning massive. And easier said than done. But honestly, psychologically I think that is a big thing here.

At this point, yes, psychology is huge 

the history is interesting, Yazdani is someone who never lost until he ran into Taylor, this is all new to him

Taylor in the other hand took a journey to become the champion that he is and went through many defeats and disappointments before he became the force thst he is today

Hassan is in Avery tough spot psychologically

2 minutes ago, The Genius said:

According to the Americans Yazdani always takes the losses badly and is backstage yelling at people and throwing things around, lol

I was talking about AM Yaz, but Hassan went crazy after Tokyo. I was watching the Japanese live feed that had no commentary, just audio from the arena, and you could hear his screaming from back stage way after the match ended.

These last two losses the vids I’ve seen he doesn’t look angry, just dejected. Which is even worse.

3 minutes ago, The Genius said:

According to the Americans Yazdani always takes the losses badly and is backstage yelling at people and throwing things around, lol

Not true. Quite the opposite.

Only In Tokyo he was hysterically crying and screaming. Which is different from yelling AT people.

He also kicked a chair.

But if you are 10 seconds away from being double Olympic champ, all your life's work etc, and lose it last second, given how he always carries himself so well. One moment of indiscretion. I would let him off...