Iran wrestling news

45 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Skipping it altogether....staying at 79 for 2025.

Who knows a lot can change. But that's what he just said. 

I personally think Nokhodi is a top wrestler and probably one of the nicest guys in the team. Such a shame he never got gold.

If AM Yaz can control his emotions he can be good at 74....but that is such a tough division. If he could even get bronze that would be good.

Let's see what the future holds.

Nokhodi is a 3x world medalist at the age of 22. That's damn impressive. He's probably #2 in the world at 79kg, only behind Usmanov (not a big gap between them, really would have lost 3-2 if he didn't go for broke at the end). 

Not convinced about AM Yaz at 74kg. He came up from 65kg already and it's not like he conquered the (much weaker) 70kg before moving up again. Emami is the guy for 74kg. 

Was chatting tonight with a 2022 US world team member who was in Serbia…

he said during weigh ins they were all in line and then every Serbian team member got out of line and then went to a separate room and they closed the doors them they all came back in line…

he had never seen anything like it before…

just FYI stuff…

9 hours ago, danny rihani said:

Big wrestling fan here from lebanon. Specially iranians. And i want to ask which style is more popular in Iran freestyle or Greco ?

Welcome! 

100% freestyle, but Greco is definitely popular specifically in some areas. 

10 hours ago, The Genius said:

Mamedov defeats Amouzad 8-6

The 4 point counter by Mamedov at the end of the first period really hurt Amouzad

Amouzad will wrestle the loser of the other bronze match in the 5th place play off

65 really is insanely competitive every year. Olympic & world champ Otoguro couldn’t medal 2 other times, last year’s champ Rahman the same. 

If Amouzad wasn’t gonna get it glad it was Musukaev. Unbelievable run he went on this year. Also fair play to the American who Deepak’d his way to the final through the back door.

5 hours ago, kmrabr said:

65 really is insanely competitive every year. Olympic & world champ Otoguro couldn’t medal 2 other times, last year’s champ Rahman the same. 

If Amouzad wasn’t gonna get it glad it was Musukaev. Unbelievable run he went on this year. Also fair play to the American who Deepak’d his way to the final through the back door.

Amouzad easily beats everyone on the other side of the bracket. But that's how it goes sometimes. He should still medal in Paris with a more balanced draw (e.g. two of Otoguro, Musukaev, Mamedov and Amouzad on each side of the draw). Should probably send him to some ranking tournaments to get his points up for seeding purposes.

Mamedov countered his underhook game very well so he is the hardest match up for Amouzad IMO, but he can beat Otoguro and Musukaev. 

3 hours ago, The Genius said:

Amouzad easily beats everyone on the other side of the bracket. But that's how it goes sometimes. He should still medal in Paris with a more balanced draw (e.g. two of Otoguro, Musukaev, Mamedov and Amouzad on each side of the draw). Should probably send him to some ranking tournaments to get his points up for seeding purposes.

Mamedov countered his underhook game very well so he is the hardest match up for Amouzad IMO, but he can beat Otoguro and Musukaev. 

Thankfully the weight’s qualified but hopefully we send him Asians to pick up some ranking points and get a feel for Otoguro before Paris. 

Can’t lie was pretty disappointed with Rahman’s loss, but looking back at what Musukaev did this worlds unreal.

I was thinking Amouzad was up against the guy he beat last year, who didn’t look great in any of the ranking events this year (can’t remember when but he even got pinned by some random American). But out of nowhere he goes on this godly run against all the top guys with cardio for days.  

Have just seen the draws in a comprehensible format (on the UWW twitter account).

My predictions:

55kg: Bronze

60kg: DNP

63kg: Bronze

67kg: Gold (the Kazakh that always beats him isn't here, and the Georgian who beat him recently also isn't here, Nemes is on the other half of the bracket)

72kg: Bronze (will wrestle Ali Arsalan, the reigning world champ also from Iran but wrestling now for Serbia, in the second round)

77kg: DNP (MA Geraei can beat anyone but this division is stacked and MA Geraei is rarely consistent enough to put together a string of 4+ wins)

82kg: Bronze

87kg: DNP (probably our weakest GR weight class)

97kg: Silver (this weight class is brutal but he avoids Aleksanyan until the final. The Russian could beat him but he is very young so I am hoping Saravi can beat him to make the final)

130kg: Kayaalp is not on the same half of the bracket as Mirzazadeh. Silver

I love Saravi and also can't wait to see Mohammadi, the Geraei brothers and Sohrabi. We should compete for the GR team title.

Edited by The Genius

greco draws have dropped…

i have not had a chance to dig into them, but, the boy child did not sound hopeful…

his initial reaction is kamal bey is only one with a chance to medal and he has AZE 2nd match…

1 hour ago, danny rihani said:

My favorite greco wretler right now is Saravi and i have a feeling he'll beat aleksanian this time. Need to be more active this time to avoid passivity call.

He is also my favourite but I fear Aleksanyan has his number. Also, this time he has to go through Russia first to even make the final. Aleksanyan is fantastic but he has been wrestling for a very long time, surely father time will catch up to him eventually. 

17 minutes ago, The Genius said:

He is also my favourite but I fear Aleksanyan has his number. Also, this time he has to go through Russia first to even make the final. Aleksanyan is fantastic but he has been wrestling for a very long time, surely father time will catch up to 

Aleksanyan is great and experienced hes also Huge. Last time passivity in both periods shouldv'e been called on aleksanyan . Saravi need to put a high pace pressuring the big man and he can do it because he ain't turning aleksanyan from parterre . Aleksanyan can score in parterre though . 

I have  a feeling this time saravi will get it done.