Iran wrestling news

1 hour ago, Amir.Sol said:

Yeah at least Yousefi medalled lol. I always thought Carr would be the next big thing out of America, JB-esque. I believe Nokhodi has previously lost to him as well. Georgia really came here to play though so maybe if he wasn't injured we'd see Carr get pulled back in.

In my opinion, a Senior World champion losing in the opening round, is the biggest surprise of the tournament.

Nothing taken away from the shock of the other matches you guys are talking about

1 minute ago, Irani said:

I like Yazdani and love his high energy style.

However, if he is not the best guy at the U-23 70 Kg, he needs to improve a lot before we can talk about him as a contender at the 74 Kg Senior level

Of the three contenders for 74, (Yazdani, Emami and maybe Nokhodi), these performances place Yazdani the lowest in my opinion and Nokhodi and Emami around the same level.

Just now, kkiane said:

Of the three contenders for 74, (Yazdani, Emami and maybe Nokhodi), these performances place Yazdani the lowest in my opinion and Nokhodi and Emami around the same level.

Surely Nokhodi can't make 74. He's lean enough for 79 as is. I think MS Firouzpour should be the third guy to consider. 

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

Surely Nokhodi can't make 74. He's lean enough for 79 as is. I think MS Firouzpour should be the third guy to consider. 

Then he is in the middle because I don’t think very highly of MS Firouzpour but he used to be top. Yazdani did not Firouzpour lol.

I'm happy with Emami at Paris for 74kg. 74kg is not that strong now and Emami is in his prime and looked great in Oslo.

I would like to see him wrestle guys like Chamizo, Salkazanov, Tsabalov etc before Paris to really gauge where he's at but all of those guys are in their 30s and should be beatable.  

Team title wise, we need to win all 3 finals, Gholami to at least take fifth and for Georgia to lose all 5 of their medal matches lol. If one Georgian wins then Gholami would also have to win his medal match but if two Georgians win then it's over. Would be cool if it came down to the final bout of Masoumi Vs Manashvili.

Just now, Amir.Sol said:

Team title wise, we need to win all 3 finals, Gholami to at least take fifth and for Georgia to lose all 5 of their medal matches lol. If one Georgian wins then Gholami would also have to win his medal match but if two Georgians win then it's over. Would be cool if it came down to the final bout of Masoumi Vs Manashvili.

We are so done for.

18 minutes ago, kkiane said:

We are so done for.

I am not really too focused on the team championships; I am more focused on the implication for future

So far here is what I have

• Greco
    • Bad News
      • Youssefi lost
      • Forfeit to Israel, missed a great opportunity to test out a young wrestler
    • Good news
      • Emergence of Sohrabai as a potential star
      • Dadmarz and Mohammadi won gold
  • FS
    • Bad News
      • Yazdani losing in the finals
      • Nokhodi getting screwed by the draw and the infamous IRI policy
      • We did not find our 57 Kg future
    • Good news
      • Azarpara did not disappoint
    • TBD
      • Massoumi looks great so far
      • Firouzpour brothers on track for gold

I still like the best case, but unlikely scenario.  4 golds

really disappointed about Yazdani Junior but I just think he wasn't mentally ready for this tournament. but still a loss is a loss and he almost lost his SF too. MAYBE he is not as good as what we thought

team title looks a bit unlikely now , but in age-level competitions I care more about individual performances. Azarpira did better than his juniors performance but still I'm expecting more from him. sometimes you can feel he just doesn't know what do to on the mat.

I hope MS Firouzpour wins the gold tomorrow but I gave up on him long time ago. looking forward to see two other guys in the final. to me they are the most talented wrestlers in this team. a world U23 gold will help them in their path

Edited by wrestfan

52 minutes ago, wrestfan said:

really disappointed about Yazdani Junior but I just think he wasn't mentally ready for this tournament. but still a loss is a loss and he almost lost his SF too. MAYBE he is not as good as what we were thinking.

team title looks a bit unlikely now , but in age-level competitions I care more about individual performances. Azarpira did better than his juniors performance but still I'm expecting more from him. sometimes you can feel he just doesn't know what do to on the mat.

I hope MS Firouzpour wins the gold tomorrow but I gave up on him long time ago. looking forward to see two other guys in the final. to me they are the most talented wrestlers in this team. a world U23 gold will help them in their path

I watched the match again

Here is my take

• His opponent was pretty good
  • The match was a high-quality match, none of the points awarded were push outs or warning points
  • Yazdani did show some good offense and his two take downs were pretty impressive
  • Yazdani seems to have concentration lapses, were he gets caught off guard
    • He was completely unprepared for the 4-point double leg take down.  My impression is that the Georgian coaches may have coached their wrestler to go with that at the start of the half
  • Yazdani did not gas and seems to be fighting till the end
  • I would say he needs to work on his defense and on his concentration

I expected Baby Yaz to get gold. On another day he may have, but given everything that has gone on in the last month or so (injuries, the draw in Belgrade, a lot of the stresses and disruptions in training behind the scenes, and the situation in Iran) coming in second at the U23s that he wasn't meant to compete at is fine. And a fine consolation for him personally.

The focus will be next year, Olympic Qualifier and everyone having a view at Paris. I am very intrigued who will get the 74kg spot. Nokhodi with proper weight management can definitely make 74. I would like to see what he is like at 74. Baby Yaz too if he fills out to that weight. And Emami is looking solid, but just not quite there to convincingly say he can medal for sure in Paris, even without Russia.

49 minutes ago, Irani said:

I watched the match again

Here is my take

• His opponent was pretty good
  • The match was a high-quality match, none of the points awarded were push outs or warning points
  • Yazdani did show some good offense and his two take downs were pretty impressive
  • Yazdani seems to have concentration lapses, were he gets caught off guard
    • He was completely unprepared for the 4-point double leg take down.  My impression is that the Georgian coaches may have coached their wrestler to go with that at the start of the half
  • Yazdani did not gas and seems to be fighting till the end
  • I would say he needs to work on his defense and on his concentration

It's the concentration thing that is an issue for sure 100%. Defense is fine when he focuses.

1 minute ago, Irani said:

Is this something coaches have identified and are working on?

Oh it's something well known, in his personality. We go to a restaurant and he can't even read half a page of a menu without getting bored and singing a song or something lol.

He's still got some maturing to do. He's a kid at heart.

4 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Oh it's something well known, in his personality. We go to a restaurant and he can't even read half a page of a menu without getting bored and singing a song or something lol.

He's still got some maturing to do. He's a kid at heart.

What was up with his celebrations after beating USA in the SF? Seemed way OTT and disrespectful, looked like Pejman was telling him to stop as well. 

Just now, The Genius said:

What was up with his celebrations after beating USA in the SF? Seemed way OTT and disrespectful, looked like Pejman was telling him to stop as well. 

I didn't see it so I don't know exactly what he done. But knowing him I can only imagine lol.

As I said. He is young, and there are definitely much more mature 22 year olds out there. He's the joker of the squad. He's a kid. I can picture Pejman telling him to stop lol.

You guys gotta remember first, especially with some of the younger guys, that these are the first generation of young wrestlers that have grown up in current Iran but also are heavily influenced by social media like Instagram, and watch TV shows from the west etc. Very different from guys even 20 years ago, or even 8-10 years ago. So they are kids first, wrestlers second. 

I really don’t know what to think about the Georgian vs Masoumi. I’m watching videos from this year and last year, and last year at the U23s he lost to a very small and nimble Belarusian, who just countered his attacks and tired him out. The problem with that is Masoumi is not very small nor nimble. Not entirely sure how Masoumi handles people who are around the same size or larger than him as there isn’t a big sample size.

28 minutes ago, kkiane said:

I really don’t know what to think about the Georgian vs Masoumi. I’m watching videos from this year and last year, and last year at the U23s he lost to a very small and nimble Belarusian, who just countered his attacks and tired him out. The problem with that is Masoumi is not very small nor nimble. Not entirely sure how Masoumi handles people who are around the same size or larger than him as there isn’t a big sample size.

I would be a lot more surprised if Masoumi loses than I was with Yaz losing.