Experience Running a 10 Team Dual with 9 Teams

NH-Coach

I just wanted to see if anyone has a successful way of running a 10 team dual tournament with only 9 teams.  My plan was going with 2 pools of 5, but we are a team short.  We could always run a JV combined team as the 10th team.  Does anyone have a successful formula for a pool of 5 and a pool of 4?  I know this would involve some cross-bracket matches, but I'd be willing to shuffle teams around to get it done. 

You could do three pools of three.  Then have the winners wrestle in a three team pool, the second place teams in a three team pool, and the third place teams in a three team pool.  Then you could wrestle those pools off for placements.  Every team would get four matches, and you would have fairly accurate placements.  I guess it depends on what is more important, accurate placings, getting five matches, everyone getting the same amount of matches?

You could do three pools of three.  Then have the winners wrestle in a three team pool, the second place teams in a three team pool, and the third place teams in a three team pool.  Then you could wrestle those pools off for placements.  Every team would get four matches, and you would have fairly accurate placements.  I guess it depends on what is more important, accurate placings, getting five matches, everyone getting the same amount of matches?

The one complaint that teams at team state have mentioned regarding the format is that they have to sit out a round during the 3-team pools.  In the case you mention above, you end up sitting out twice and hang around for 6 rounds, unfortunately.  

During the finals pools, you can have the pool champ who is sitting out of the top pool wrestle the 2nd place pool team that is also sitting out.  It still takes six rounds, but 6 of the teams end up with five matches.

Rounds 1-3, Preliminary Pools

Pool 1: 3 teams round-robin

Pool 2: 3 teams round-robin

Pool 3: 3 teams round-robin

Rounds 4-6, Final Pools, let A mean preliminary pool 1st place, B mean preliminary pool 2nd place, C mean preliminary pool 3rd place

Round 4: 1A vs. 2A, 1B vs. 3B, (cross-pool) 3A vs. 2B

Round 5: 1A vs. 3A, 2B vs. 3B, (cross-pool) 2A vs. 1B

Round 6: 2A vs. 3A, 1B vs. 2B, (cross-pool) 1A vs. 3B

(Preliminary Pool 3rd place teams wrestle round-robin in 7th to 9th place consolation pool (finish with 4 matches only))

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.