Freestyle State and Fargo

With Freestyle State approaching in a few weeks one of my guys asked me a question that I am sure others might have or wonder about. 

If a wrestler competes at a weight at Freestyle State, can they wrestle one weight lower at Fargo? For example 132 at Freestyle State and then 126 at Fargo....

Wanted to give him the right info so that he knows what he needs to do and make a decision on it.

Yes he can, maybe

Wrestlers are allowed to change weight classes as long as there is a spot there for our state.  States are limited to 4 wrestlers per weight class and those who qualify through USAW Regionals don't count in that number.  So if he wants to drop a weight class for Fargo, that new weight class would need an opening for him to do so.  It's usually an option, but sometimes it's already full.

If we are allowed 4 wrestlers per weight per the USAW rule, then why does the flyer for State say?:  "The top 3 Cadets and Juniors in each style and weight class will be guaranteed a spot on the national team."  Why don't we take four wrestlers?

And what is the deal with "USA Wrestling National Cadet Dual Championships - The top wrestler in each style and weight class will be guaranteed a spot on the national team."  Wasn't it always the top two kids?  Are we only sending one team to Cadet Duals?

I know the rules around the Junior Duals team changed, I guess I didn't see the rules on Cadets changed.

If we are allowed 4 wrestlers per weight per the USAW rule, then why does the flyer for State say?:  "The top 3 Cadets and Juniors in each style and weight class will be guaranteed a spot on the national team."  Why don't we take four wrestlers?

And what is the deal with "USA Wrestling National Cadet Dual Championships - The top wrestler in each style and weight class will be guaranteed a spot on the national team."  Wasn't it always the top two kids?  Are we only sending one team to Cadet Duals?

I know the rules around the Junior Duals team changed, I guess I didn't see the rules on Cadets changed.

USAW allows states a total of 45 wrestlers for Junior and 51 for Cadet at Fargo...or 3 wrestlers per weight. That is how we get the top 3 qualify for Fargo. For each weight we have 4 kids, there has to be one that has 2 kids.

USAW allows states a total of 45 wrestlers for Junior and 51 for Cadet at Fargo...or 3 wrestlers per weight. That is how we get the top 3 qualify for Fargo. For each weight we have 4 kids, there has to be one that has 2 kids.

Thanks Y2!  

Am I recalling right that in years previous we took the top 2 kids for Cadet Duals?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.