Merrillville Bracketology 106

Silvertone1696

Mat 1

#6 Kory Cavanaugh (27-7) Penn Vs

#9 Trey McCartney (32-5) Benton Central

#3 Alex Bautista (26-5) Hanover Central Vs

#4 Collin Poynter (32-6) Portage

An absolute grind in this section of the bracket as Cavanaugh finds himself with a tough road to make the semis after winning the Rochester regional. If I were to predict I'd take Bautista over Cavanaugh for the state berth. These two wrestled previously with Bautista taking the match 10-1. Poynter is a game 2 seed losing to Tylor Triana of Hobart 9-0 for the regional title. He should give Bautista at least a reasonable match.

Mat 2

#8 Jon Anderson (44-1) Lafayette Jefferson Vs

Malachi Greene (32-9) Triton

Felipe Godinez (27-12) Merrillville Vs

#5 Ian Dembowski (39-6) Valparaiso

This group features Logan regional champ Jon Anderson who basically pinned his way to a regional title in dominant fashion. He's likely to get Dembowski, who fell in just 40 seconds to top ranked Colton Cummings at the Crown Point regional final. Anderson doesn't have many common opponents with many of the top ten but his regional dominance even at Logan has me leaning towards his victory.

Mat 3

#1 Colton Cummings (37-1) Lowell Vs

Angel Perez (20-10) Hammond Morton

Joey Zahl (24-9) South Bend Adams Vs

Ryne Webb (27-12) Rensselaer Central

Cummings clearly stands out as not only the top ranked wrestler but the only of the four to be ranked at all. Logan regional runner up Ryne Webb is probably the most unheralded runner up in the entire 106 field and should be tested by Zahl.

Mat 4

#2 Tylor Triana (34-3) Hobart Vs

Jose Diaz (29-10) Wheeler

Charlie Randall (29-4) West Lafayette Vs

#7 Jared Kazmierczak (34-7) SB St Joseph

Triana should be able to break through the 4-1 matchup but Diaz had wrestled pretty well and if not for a sectional/regional that included Dembowski, Cummings, and Bautista...I think Diaz could've been at least third if not runner up at some other regionals. Lost just 10-6 to Dembowski in the semis of the CP regional. All three Triana losses come to Cummings. Randall v Kazmierczak should be a good match between wrestlers on opposite sides of the geographical semistate who have not seen each other. In the Logan regional Webb over Randall 10-1 and Randall beat McCartney 7-0.

Mat 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 for the semis

My four state berths

1. Cummings

2. Bautista

3. Triana

4. Anderson

These are four very good wrestlers but Cummings is just plain tough and is probably a decisive favorite. Bautista and Anderson should be a good match and will test my theories. Triana gets a tough semis draw here and I believe would've been second but it's all about how the cards fall an his finals berth goes through Cummings. This is one of those weight classes where I could be busted from the first round. Poynter will test Bautista and Hildebrandt will certainly be looking for revenge but I'm sticking to my guns.

The 113 reply!

Mat 1

#4 Dustin Miller (33-0) Lafayette Jefferson Vs

Jack Walton (17-6) Andrean

#5 Cody Crary (38-7) Munster Vs

#8 Adam Davis (31-6) Culver Military Academy

Dustin Miller, the Logan winner, was the only ranked wrestler to enter the field for his regional. His 12-5 win over Donovan Johnson for the title there is still a decisive victory over a game opponent. He will likely be tested in the quarters against the super frosh battle of Crary/Davis. I still like Miller to advance over the young but fierce Crary who had a tough regional that included Michael De La Pena and Rickie Rodriguez, both state ranked wrestlers at 9th and 12th respectively.

Mat 2

#7 Johnathan Moran (24-6) Crown Point Vs

Leevin Ball (35-7) North White

Bryton Goering (29-16) SB Riley Vs

#2 Michael DeLaPena (33-4) Merrillville

This group looks to conclude with a Duneland conference battle of DeLaPena and Moran. This two have wrestled previously with DeLaPena winning 7-2 but that was regular season. Moran gets the top seeded draw as the winner in Crown Point after avenging a sectional loss to Austin Line he came back and won 6-1 for the regional. DeLaPena will likely be a man on a mission after dropping the Calumet title 3-0 to Rickie Rodriguez and I like him to advance over Moran. Bryton Goering did give a valiant effort in the Rochester semis against Davis, losing just 2-0 but I don't think DeLaPena will overlook him.

Mat 3

#1 Drew Hildebrandt (31-0) Penn Vs

Zachary Lovell (14-5) Hobart

Lucas Finger (25-6) Lowell Vs

Donovan Johnson (34-6) Logansport

I think this draw worked out pretty well for Hildebrandt who is the decisive favorite as the only ranked wrestler for this SS as well as a number 3 state ranking. Hildebrandt's 18-6 effort over Davis gave him the Logan title. Finger and Johnson will still be a pretty even battle and is certainly a match to keep an eye on. Ill take the Penn grappler over Johnson who I like to best finger after a good 12-5 effort against a tough Miller in Rochester.

Mat 4

#3 Rickie Rodriguez (31-2) Hammond Morton Vs

#10 Zane DeVault (19-9) Plymouth

Tommy Ordway (24-7) South Newton Vs

#6 Austin Line (32-8) Valparaiso

Calumet champ Rodriguez leads the way for the final group and will be a tough out for these other three, although it won't be a cakewalk with possibly two SS ranked wrestlers in his way. But with losses to just Hildebrandt and Colton Cummings (106), Rodriguez looks to be in top form. I think a battle tested Line will give him a tough quarters match but I still see the Morton wrestler in the semis.

Mat 1 v 2 and 3 v 4 semis

My four state berths

1. Drew Hildebrandt

2. Michael DeLaPena

3. Rickie Rodriguez

4. Dustin Miller

I like the Penn wrestler here and a lot of that has to do with that undefeated record with a tough Penn schedule. He pinned Rodriguez in a previous match in the third period but I think it will be a good semifinal. DeLaPena benefits from avoiding those two but should have his hands full with still undefeated Miller.

Jon Anderson lone loss on the season was to Michael delapena @120.

Cavanaugh should have his handsful he lost to Alex Bautista at the harvest classic early on. He has also split with Collin poynter a loss at the harvest classic then beating poynter at the Penn super dual that is a good bracket. Poynter/cavanaugh is a interesting match I think penn does a great job at making adjustments and gameplaning and poynter might be the most improved 106 from Ihpo to right now. I agree that triana and cummings cruise to tickets. I wish they would have been on opposite sides of the bracket. It like al smith all over again.

I would hope you would take yourself.  Every post you make is about Valparaiso and Dembowski.

Good luck this weekend, I'll be rooting for you.

can i not root for one of the kids on the team? make a post about heavy weight ill talk about suttles or austin line or tristen dembowsk or kukaruga......

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.