Logansport regional Question

Major

Is the Logansport regional just bad or are the other three regional sites that feed into Merriville that much better?  Coming from Logansport and making the State finals were 1 winner, 1 runner up, 1 3rd place and 3 4th place at the semi state.  Of those 6 wrestlers that move on to the State, I think only 2 came from Twin Lakes Sectional.

Logansport had seven wrestlers go to state.  I think you're short on the runner-ups as Meyer of Harrison and Duvall of West Lafayette both placed 2nd.  Probably well known that this regional has always been weaker.  IMO, it just has a lot of smaller 1A and 2A schools that have trouble getting past the bigger NWI schools at the semi-state.

Logansport regional gets dogged every year on here. It does lack depth compared to the rest of the Mville regionals.  It might have to do with the fact that it is mostly made up of small rural schools and only has about 1/4 of the population that the other regionals at mville have in em.  The only decent sized city in the regional is Lafayette followed by much smaller Logansport and Monticello, the rest are just little farm towns.  I would say the majority of the schools in the Logansport regional have 500 kids in the entire high school or less!  Logan regional has quality kids it just lacks the depth compared to the others.  As much as everyone bashes the logan regional kids they have had State champions, place winners and every year they have a few qualifiers. 

Penn, Mishawaka, Crown Point, Portage, and Merriville are all much bigger schools with more of a wrestling tradition. I don't think it's knock on the sectional it's just getting by these teams and then you throw in you have more bigger schools after that from the Da region and St. Joe County (not the region).

Many factors come into play with the Logansport Regional, as many of you have pointed out there is  large number of small schools. The only four 3A schools in this regional; Jeff, Harrison, McCutcheon, and Logansport. There are 11 1A schools. This regional is becoming more competitive with Merriville, look at the numbers making it to the ticket round as compared with previous years. There could have easily been 3-4 more qualifiers had a few small things gone the other way. Davis and Miller at 106 lost very close matches they were leading for most of the way, Lukaska lost in the final 20 seconds, just to name a few. If we look at the qualifiers Logansport did have; Fritz at 45 is a jr, Mote at 70 is a soph, Wright at 82 is a jr, Meyers at 220 is a jr, so they return 4 for next season along with a good number of ticket rounders. Logansport is definitely moving up but we all know the Tradition of success the Region has, even compared to the other semi-states.

Lafayette Jeff            0-4

Lafayette Harrison    2-8

West Lafayette          1-4

Seems like the Lafayette area could start pulling it's own weight!  Only two of a potential 16 wrestlers made it to state.  Sounds more like the Greater Lafayette Area is the problem!

Seems like the Lafayette area could start pulling it's own weight!  Only two of a potential 16 wrestlers made it to state.  Sounds more like the Greater Lafayette Area is the problem!

That was three kids out of the 16 that you mentioned. Perhaps the Lafayette area spends more time educating their kids than training them for the mat.

You also forgot to mention Carithers who made it from McCutcheon.  Thats four kids from the greater Lafayette area.  So do the math, I know a topic you struggle with.    The Lafayette area went 4 for 19 or 21%  which is close to the average of 25% of kids qualifying for state.

So 4 schools send over half the qualifiers, and all three who made the finals, and they are the problem? I would say they, along with Delphi, are really the only bright spots over the past 10 years. Harrison (2x), Jeff (2x), and Delphi (2x) are the only schools who made it to team state during that era. The Lafayette area is also responsible for the overwhelming majority of the place winners in the past decade. Note: Delphi is really close to Lafayette so I would consider it a Lafayette area school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.