Castle Regional Preview

About a month away from the State Tournament series, what is everybody's predictions on this Regional...

Konrath, Egli, Nawl, Dilbeck...Egli will make it closer this time around, but still see Konrath pulling this out. He is too tough from his feet.

Ferguson, Luigs, Horty, Pellacer...One man race, nobody touches Ferguson.

Johnson, Brown, Arney, Keller...Johnson and Brown will be a great final, could go to either one.

Lee, Hemmings, Bethel, Willis...Lee is on a different level then the rest of this class, Bethel could surprise some people here.

Jourdan, Davis, Todrank, Ramsey...one of the most competitive weight classes in my mind, 4 tough kids here along with a few other good ones who won't make it out. Suar who is a returning SS qualifier could be another name here to look out for.

Seng, Schnell, Allen, Schulz...another tough weight class...Baehl, Petrig, and Dixon are other names to look out for. All depends on how they wrestle at the Sectional and the draws they set themselves up for.

Pierre, Karges, Williams, Smith...Karges could provide an upset here, he has been hurt, but he upset Johns last year so don't look past him.

Kelley, Weinzapfel, Riegal, Abshier...nobody touches Kelley.

Forzley, Kemper, McDaniel, Stotlar...any of the top 3 could win it.

Rickenbaugh, Lockyear, Kempf, Huesling...race for 2nd. Lockyear has some pretty good wins this year.

Konerding, Bassemier, Dowell, DeKemper...Bassemier could pull the upset here, Konerding hasn't looked that impressive as he has in the past.

Brown, Orth, Libby, Newton...don't think Brown has too much trouble here.

Barnes, Choate, Butler, Lytle...Barnes and Choate round 3, Choate won the first one and Barnes beat him at the Holiday Classic.

Kyles, Baker, Cox, Shaw...don't think anybody challenges Kyles, but Osborne and Miller are two other names to watch out for to slip into the Top 4.

About a month away from the State Tournament series, what is everybody's predictions on this Regional...

Konrath, Egli, Nawl, Dilbeck...Egli will make it closer this time around, but still see Konrath pulling this out. He is too tough from his feet.

Ferguson, Luigs, Horty, Pellacer...One man race, nobody touches Ferguson.

Johnson, Brown, Arney, Keller...Johnson and Brown will be a great final, could go to either one.

Lee, Hemmings, Bethel, Willis...Lee is on a different level then the rest of this class, Bethel could surprise some people here.

Jourdan, Davis, Todrank, Ramsey...one of the most competitive weight classes in my mind, 4 tough kids here along with a few other good ones who won't make it out. Suar who is a returning SS qualifier could be another name here to look out for.

Seng, Schnell, Allen, Schulz...another tough weight class...Baehl, Petrig, and Dixon are other names to look out for. All depends on how they wrestle at the Sectional and the draws they set themselves up for.

Pierre, Karges, Williams, Smith...Karges could provide an upset here, he has been hurt, but he upset Johns last year so don't look past him.

Kelley, Weinzapfel, Riegal, Abshier...nobody touches Kelley.

Forzley, Kemper, McDaniel, Stotlar...any of the top 3 could win it.

Rickenbaugh, Lockyear, Kempf, Huesling...race for 2nd. Lockyear has some pretty good wins this year.

Konerding, Bassemier, Dowell, DeKemper...Bassemier could pull the upset here, Konerding hasn't looked that impressive as he has in the past.

Brown, Orth, Libby, Newton...don't think Brown has too much trouble here.

Barnes, Choate, Butler, Lytle...Barnes and Choate round 3, Choate won the first one and Barnes beat him at the Holiday Classic.

Kyles, Baker, Cox, Shaw...don't think anybody challenges Kyles, but Osborne and Miller are two other names to watch out for to slip into the Top 4.

southern-

how stupid is the central sectional at 160?  the central champion will have to face the central third-place finisher in the semis of the regional. the winner of that gets the runner-up.

you are almost better off finishing the sectional in second place.  holy crap!

everyone knows about kemper and forzley; few know about McDaniel.  he is over six feet tall, a good scrambler, very quick and technical.  central and md wrestle brutal schedules; not so sure about Tecumseh.  we'll see how it plays out.

schnell and seng are the class of 138.  i look for another great bout with seng getting the "w."

at 145, i'll pick pierre over karges.  pierre has wrestled a very tough schedule.  i believe he is undefeated.

smallmouth bass looks bigger and stronger than last year. he has really developed his dorsal and caudal fins, yet, he is still in the same weight class.  i heard he and konerding were close the last time they wrestled.  both go at it hard; this one should be a dandy.

konerding:  don't try the rapala; he is not biting. texas-rig a jelly worm and target the lay-downs.

btw- the word is that bassemier hates Kevin VanDam (pro bass fishing superstar.  i know, it's obscure.)

Yeah 160 Central Sectional is about as brutal as they come. I agree Forzley and Kemper will both benefit from a tougher schedule and great workout partners. The strategic move would be to get 2nd to give themselves an easier road to the finals at Regionals. But at Semi-State you never know the draw you will get, so 2nd could be better than 1st, or 3rd could be the best draw, you just never know.

I think Karges could surprise Pierre, although Pierre does benefit from a tough schedule and great practice room, Karges also has a great workout partner/coach in Clay Leek. I see Pierre winning, but don't count out the Karges/Leek combo.

Yeah 160 Central Sectional is about as brutal as they come. I agree Forzley and Kemper will both benefit from a tougher schedule and great workout partners. The strategic move would be to get 2nd to give themselves an easier road to the finals at Regionals. But at Semi-State you never know the draw you will get, so 2nd could be better than 1st, or 3rd could be the best draw, you just never know.

I think Karges could surprise Pierre, although Pierre does benefit from a tough schedule and great practice room, Karges also has a great workout partner/coach in Clay Leek. I see Pierre winning, but don't count out the Karges/Leek combo.

i will pay extra to see a leek/karges vs. Schaefer/pierre match.

Will that be a no holds barred tag team cage match?  I remember Leek from the old days, but my money would be on the Schaefer/Pierre duo.

now that you mention it, i believe craig macke (on mater dei's coaching staff) and leek had a few dustups.  maybe we sub macke in for Schaefer and reignite the rivalry!

I helped trained Leek for his one and only MMA fight few years ago.. he won by guerrilla fists... he does no handed pull-ups.

I call shenanigans on the pull ups. The only person that could pull that off is the one person who pulled off no handed push ups, Chuck Norris. Clay Leek does not equal Chuck Norris. He might give Clint Eastwood a run but that's even doubtful.

Alright back to the wrestling discussion...anybody heard of guys changing weights? I've seen Willis ranked at 120 in the Semi State but been wrestling 126, also heard Davis might drop to 126? Any word on these guys or anybody else?

Not sure why Davis would want to drop too 126. With Micic (2 time champ), Z. Davis (runner up), Lee ( could be 4 time champ) and 7 other very seasoned wrestlers with at least SQ status filling out the top 10. Only weight class that's tougher would be 120, with the top 14-15 being SQ status or better. J. Davis is a senior and its his last year to try for an elusive championship.  Would be much tougher road at 126 instead of 132, but anything is possible. Willis at 120 or 126 is possible.  Kid is quick on his feet but will be over matched after semi-state. But hey he's only a freshman and I think his best chance to get to state is at 126. Too many high caliber wrestlers at 126 after semi-state. But I could se him being a SQ if brackets fall in his favor at 126. I don't think J. Davis just wants to get to state this year, he wants to win and 132 is his best shot.

Not sure why Davis would want to drop too 126. With Micic (2 time champ), Z. Davis (runner up), Lee ( could be 4 time champ) and 7 other very seasoned wrestlers with at least SQ status filling out the top 10. Only weight class that's tougher would be 120, with the top 14-15 being SQ status or better. J. Davis is a senior and its his last year to try for an elusive championship.  Would be much tougher road at 126 instead of 132, but anything is possible. Willis at 120 or 126 is possible.  Kid is quick on his feet but will be over matched after semi-state. But hey he's only a freshman and I think his best chance to get to state is at 126. Too many high caliber wrestlers at 126 after semi-state. But I could se him being a SQ if brackets fall in his favor at 126. I don't think J. Davis just wants to get to state this year, he wants to win and 132 is his best shot.

He looks much healthier this year. I don't think by the looks of him getting so tall he could even make 126 this year even if he wanted to. He struggled last year in the post season just making weight. The first time I saw him this season I couldn't get over how tall he is. 132 at Evansville semi state is going to be bruising. 6 or 7 ranked wrestlers fighting for 4 spots to Bankers. Davis is a legitimate contender to win semi state and set himself up for a good run at a title at state.

Davis isn't moving from 132. It has nothing to do with who is at 126. He simply is to tall and big for 126 this year. Weight cutting was an issue last year. He looks and feels good at 132.

And Leek didn't wast time with pushups he spent most of his time with selfies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.