New Castle observations

Dingo Brigade

Red is as advertised....a machine. I will be very surprised if he isn't, at the very least, competing under the lights next Saturday night.

Bocock finishes 4th at sectionals and regionals and qualifies for state. Great job.

McKinney will be a strong threat to place at State.

Johnson shook off a nasty slam to finish 3rd.

Cottey dominated.

Newkirk one of a ton of kids who were injured today. Definitely the most injuries I've seen at New Castle.

Wilson was down 6-5 late to Eldred and turned in a clutch performance, including a takedown at the final buzzer, to advance. Very solid all day, although not spectacular.

Mantel finally gets over the Perry hump and then really put it on Eldred in the 3rd place match.

Gettinger was the clear best at the weight today. James didn't look bad, Gettinger was just better today.

LeCount is on another level. Not challenged today.

Perez and Snyder are dangerous 3 and 4 seeds, respectively. Lile wrestled 4 very tough opponents, finishing a strong 2nd.

Blanton was a force of nature, with three big falls and a major of Bova.

Bova is a nasty 3 seed.

Kind of doubtful that Wagner will be able to participate next weekend. Chase Watson, stay prepared.

Handley was outstanding, but was significantly injured near the end of his match with Johns. Had a big enough lead and big enough stones to finish the match despite his obvious injury. Worried about his health for next weekend. Handley has a beautiful single and is a turner on top.

Johns is a great rider, if not a great tilter.

I will have the rest later....

Farrell was relentless and unstoppable all day, until he ran into Corsaro in the finals. For the third straight year, the Corsaro of the postseason is a completely different animal than the regular season Corsaro. He kicks it many notches when it matters most, and he has done this his entire HS career. Very nearly removed the 0 from Farrell's record. Don't sleep on him at Banker's Life.

Bennett had a big lead on Borta in the 3rd place match and looked like he stopped wrestling. He appeared to completely run out of gas and Borta took advantage, sending it into OT then getting the winning takedown. Bad time for a meltdown for the HSE wrestler, but nice work in not giving up by Borta.

Another terrible injury, this one to John Tatom, a legit state champ contender. A true shame, but kudos to McClurg for wrestling wonderfully all day and knocking off previously undefeated McCloskey. McCloskey has shown a concerning lack of offense in recent weeks. Is his offensive arsenal a little limited, is he not committing to his attacks, is he afraid to risk positioning? I don't know the answer or answers, but he has state title defense and mat skills, but not state title offense right this second. He is definitely talented enough to get it together next weekend.

Rypel almost got McCloskey a match earlier. He is gonna be really, really good. He's already very good and very dangerous.

Another terrible injury, this one to John Tatom, a legit state champ contender. A true shame, but kudos to McClurg for wrestling wonderfully all day and knocking off previously undefeated McCloskey. McCloskey has shown a concerning lack of offense in recent weeks. Is his offensive arsenal a little limited, is he not committing to his attacks, is he afraid to risk positioning? I don't know the answer or answers, but he has state title defense and mat skills, but not state title offense right this second. He is definitely talented enough to get it together next weekend.

Rypel almost got McCloskey a match earlier. He is gonna be really, really good. He's already very good and very dangerous.

Very sad for Tatum, great kid! I believe Austin has been wrestling to not lose instead of wrestling to win! Its alot of pressure on a kid being undefeated, everyone brings there A game, and they did yesterday, and mcclurg got it done. Congrats to him. I believe you will see a totaly different McCloskey come  Friday night! Great day of wrestling, and congrats to all wrestlers who made it to state!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.