USAW JUNIOR DUALS @ OKC

Coach Hull

Weigh-ins were this morning for Greco! Not sure which pool we are in yet.  Competition looks pretty good but we have a pretty solid team out there.  Live feed for Illinois, Minnesota, Wisonsin and Finals: http://www.themat.tv/2012/06/junior-duals-live-webcast/  Will be nice when we do the same next year.  Good luck Team Indiana!  

Indiana is in Pool "A", they face Georgia Black first round and if they win they get Illinois. Good bracket, but not a great draw.

27 total teams entered in the competition.  The top two teams from each pool will move on to the championship brackets.  Georgia as a state has been steadily improving and should be a good start for the team.  Illinois though will be a major test.   Since Illinois is providing a feed we can at least see that match online.  There squad has the highest over all seed point in the entire competition by a huge margin (while apparently even missing a few studs).  They have also been the state to beat at all the national events over the last few years.  

Georgia as a state has been steadily improving and should be a good start for the team.  Illinois though will be a major test.   Since Illinois is providing a feed we can at least see that match online.   There squad has the highest over all seed point in the entire competition by a huge margin (while apparently even missing a few studs).  They have also been the state to beat at all the national events over the last few years.  

That's what I said...kinda. LOL

Indiana is in Pool "A", they face Georgia Black first round and if they win they get Illinois. Good bracket, but not a great draw.

The Georgia black squad looks like it will be a tough test for our boys. They look to have brought most of the top kids from their FS and Gr state finals.  It would be nice if IN could pull that off some time.

Currently battling from behind against GA in the first round of Greco.  They have won the first several weights and Forte finally got a win for IN at 138.

I agree it would be great to see a strong showing IN top guys at these both Freestyle and Greco.  But, glad to see the coaches seek out other guys and we have wrestlers step-up to join the team, so we don't have FF in the lineup.

Currently battling from behind against GA in the first round of Greco.  They have won the first several weights and Forte finally got a win for IN at 138.

I agree it would be great to see a strong showing IN top guys at these both Freestyle and Greco.  But, glad to see the coaches seek out other guys and we have wrestlers step-up to join the team, so we don't have FF in the lineup.

Agreed - It is great to see a full squad out there and this experience will surely make these kids better, I just wonder how a state like GA, not known as a traditional powerhouse in wrestling is getting there top kids out for such an event -- fielding 2 full squads? I do get it that they have a much larger population, so from a pure numbers stand point it is easy to see - but how they are pulling in their top guys better than we are is what I would really like to know.

First round wasn't pretty.

Have a bye this round.

100 Adam Flatt (GA Black) over Ethan Briggeman (Indiana) Dec 2-1,8-1 1 3.00

106 Trae Green (GA Black) over Jacob Wynkoop (Indiana) Dec 6-0,1-0 0 3.00

113 Hunter Kelley (GA Black) over Deondre Wilson (Indiana) Dec 1-0,0-3,1-0 1 3.00

120 Immanuel Henderson (GA Black) over Tony Vaughn (Indiana) Dec 7-0,1-0 0 3.00

126 Madison Martin (GA Black) over Peyton Reese (Indiana) Pin 1-0,1:29 0 5.00

132 Kamaal Abdushshakur (GA Black) over Jordan Lile (Indiana) Dec 3-1,7-0 1 3.00

138 Tommy Forte (Indiana) over Joseph Hulen (GA Black) Dec 3-0,3-0 3.00 0

145 Taylor Lujan (GA Black) over Jason Spence (Indiana) Pin 6-0,0:31 0 5.00

152 Cody Dickerson (GA Black) over Matt Ruddick (Indiana) Dec 8-0,7-5 1 3.00

160 Hunter Gamble (GA Black) over Jesse Goodnight (Indiana) Dec 5-0,9-0 0 3.00

170 Jason Grimes (GA Black) over Chase Hack (Indiana) TF 7-0,7-0 0 4.00

182 Glenn Climmons (GA Black) over Riley Lefever (Indiana) Dec 4-0,2-0 0 3.00

195 Boyce Cornwell (GA Black) over Jeff Dixon (Indiana) Pin 0:59 0 5.00

220 Chance McClure (GA Black) over Gary Gaines (Indiana) Pin 0:38 0 5.00

285 Josh Mackey (GA Black) over Georgio Blades (Indiana) Dec 3-5,7-0,7-5 1 3.00

Dual Meet Score 8.0 51.

Agreed - It is great to see a full squad out there and this experience will surely make these kids better, I just wonder how a state like GA, not known as a traditional powerhouse in wrestling is getting there top kids out for such an event -- fielding 2 full squads? I do get it that they have a much larger population, so from a pure numbers stand point it is easy to see - but how they are pulling in their top guys better than we are is what I would really like to know.

I don't know all the details but I do know there has been a huge push in the last few years by the GNW and Compound Wrestling Coaches Roper and Fretwell (his son wrestles at IU so he has an Indiana connection).  They have been really trying to get more top kids to realize the important of attending national events and that if enough do the other states will take notice of GA.  I would assume someone in GA has also organized some type of financial plan  to ensure that some of the top kid do not opt out due to cost issues.  Somehow these guys  have figured out how to get a movement going where the top kids want to represent their state and are financially capable of attending national events.  I think it may be very similar to the California plan to attend the FloNational events on order to show they deserve some state respect.  While some states like GA may not quite have the over all depth, their ability to convince the top wrestlers to show up can allow the state to still make a national impact.

I don't know all the details but I do know there has been a huge push in the last few years by the GNW and Compound Wrestling Coaches Roper and Fretwell (his son wrestles at IU so he has an Indiana connection) to get more top names involved in national events to prove GA can compete.  They have probably also organizing a financial plan of some sort that helps ensure that some of the top kid do not opt out due to cost issues.  Somehow they have figured out how to get a movement going where they are convincing their best kids prove they can contend with the best in the nation and are making it financially capable for kids to attend these events.   I think it may be very similar to the California plan to attend the FloNational events on order to show they deserve some state respect.  While some states like GA may not quite have the over all depth if they can find a way for their top guys to show up their state can still make some noise.  

Thanks for the in depth analysis. I think you are likely correct in that assessment.

It appears that the GA Black team is hanging tough with IL - at least for the time being.

We got sh lacked  51-8.  With the exception of Forte's win, only Wilson, Hack and Blades won a period.  It will be interesting to see how Georgia does against Illinois throughout the lineup.  It will take a few rounds for us to get in the groove, with either Kansas or Nebraska up next, so I imagine we pick it up here. Regarding the disparity in line-ups, the experience our guys get will be very rewarding to them personally and it will have effects throughout the state.  With that said, wouldn't it be nice to take two teams down there even for double the exposure? Even though we have some studs in Disney and elsewhere today, with the team state transition happening next year, maybe the emphasis on Folkstyle will begin to plateau?  This could open up more energy to direct towards our financials and strengthening the culture.  I know of some state associations out there that have hundreds of thousands of dollars in their account, which goes a good way towards making their trips more affordable.  Also, similar to Georgia's Compound Wrestling, changing the culture to understanding the privilege of wrestling for Team Indiana, and helping our state compete for a national title, could be emphasized more across the board.   Either way, whoever we face next, I'd like to see us get this win!

IN Greco dropped a close one against Kansas to end up 6th in their pool today.  They will comeback tomorrow and compete in the consolation pool competition.

Indiana Greco consolation Red Pool order of competition:

North Carolina

Washington (match will be webcast at themat.tv)

Oklahoma Blue

Minnesota Blue (match may be webcast)

South Dakota

Match Summary  IN  KS R 

100 Ethan Briggeman (Indiana) over Jaelynn Gay (Kansas Red) Pin 7-0,1:08 5.00 0

106 Levi Kester (Kansas Red) over Jacob Wynkoop (Indiana) Dec 2-0,1-0 0 3.00

113 Deondre Wilson (Indiana) over Trey Francka (Kansas Red) Dec 1-1,7-2 3.00 1

120 Jacob Wilgers (Kansas Red) over Tony Vaughn (Indiana) Pin 1:01 0 5.00

126 Grant Jongerius (Kansas Red) over Peyton Reese (Indiana) Dec 9-3,4-2 1 3.00

132 Jordan Lile (Indiana) over Kevin Barker (Kansas Red) Dec 1-1,2-0 3.00 1

138 Tommy Forte (Indiana) over Anthony Monares (Kansas Red) Pin 6-0,0:39 5.00 0

145 Jason Spence (Indiana) over Victor Hughes (Kansas Red) Dec 1-0,0-5,2-2 3.00 1

152 Mark Hobson (Kansas Red) over Matt Ruddick (Indiana) Dec 6-0,5-3 1 3.00

160 Kyle Armstrong (Kansas Red) over Jesse Goodnight (Indiana) Dec 1-0,4-0 0 3.00

170 Anthony Gardner (Kansas Red) over Chase Hack (Indiana) Dec 6-0,1-0 0 3.00

182 Hunter Weddington (Kansas Red) over Riley Lefever (Indiana) Dec 2-1,1-1 1 3.00

195 Kane Washington (Kansas Red) over Jeff Dixon (Indiana) Dec 4-1,5-1 1 3.00

220 Gary Gaines (Indiana) over Raymond Gallegos (Kansas Red) Pin 1:25 5.00 0

285 Caleb King (Kansas Red) over Unknown (Unattached) Forf  0 5.00

Dual Meet Score 28.0 34.0

Close meet but NC pulled it off at the end.  Hopefully IN Greco can rebound and have a solid end to their competition.  Next up is Washington, this meet may be streamed through their feed at  www.themat.tv

Similar to Georgia, Washington is putting it to our guys with some talented hard nose kids who just keeps going after things. Hopefully we can salvage a few matches at the later weights.  

Indiana Greco ended up dropping their last few meets today.  How the showing they wanted but several wrestlers still were able to do well against top competition and they all gained some valuable national experience from the trip.

The Freestyle squad starts their competition next.  Hopefully, things will be able to find the right groove early.

There were a few FF and some guys switching around but from what I've seen, some of the Greco notables:

Jordan Lile (6-2)

Deondre Wilson (5-2)

Riley Lefeever (4-3)

Ethan Briggeman (3-2)

Tommy Forte (2-0)

Agreed, hopefully Freestyle will have more success as a team and individually.  Nice job again Indiana boys for going out there and representing! 

They are in pool "B" for day one of freestyle, have New York the first round.

Other Teams in the pool:

Michigan Blue 

Oklahoma Blue

Minnesota Blue

California

Wisconsin 

GA Red   

If you go by Greco results it's a tough pool

New York  - 3rd in Bronze pool

Michigan Blue  - 2nd overall (lost a close match to Il in finals)

Oklahoma Blue - Finished just ahead of Indiana in 5/6 pool

Minnesota Blue - 1st in 5/6 pool

California - 2nd place Bronze pool

Wisconsin - 4th overall

GA Red - Not so good LOL   

We're about to get started here shortly.  I heard the boys are warming up so it's about to go down!

Lineup looks pretty solid?

Briggeman

Sinkovics

Wynkoop

Micic

Kennedy

Carmichael

Moss

Forte

Farrell

Tatum

Harvey

Neibarger

Lefever

Dixon

Early

Blades

Lets go Indiana!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.