New IHSAA rule 50

tskin

I was browsing through a IHSAA press release and this rule struck me as odd.  Especially after Cox and Faulkens instructed us to get creative with our scheduling to make our Team State happen........read and you be the judge

Schools may not over-schedule or overfill a school?s schedule of season contests in any

sport. Over-scheduling occurs when a team schedules more than the maximum number

of season contests permitted by the rules.

I was browsing through a IHSAA press release and this rule struck me as odd.  Especially after Cox and Faulkens instructed us to get creative with our scheduling to make our Team State happen........read and you be the judge

Schools may not over-schedule or overfill a school?s schedule of season contests in any

sport. Over-scheduling occurs when a team schedules more than the maximum number

It's all about interpretation, right?  It's not overfilling if you can fulfill the obligation to all the events without breaking any participation rules.  The "maximum number of season contests" in wrestling is not just about teams, but individuals.

This is what I've gathered. Going through the IHSAA by-laws, before this last meeting, there was nothing to Rule 50 that said that we couldn't overbook our scheduling points.

^^^ This language appears to be a provision (labeled Section 5) for Rule 50 that officially reinforces what we already knew. Before this section was put into effect, Rule 50 could've been interpreted in a way that teams could've put together 50 scheduling points as long as they competed in only 18. Hypothetically of course.  I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I'm guessing the IHSAA was alerted to this situation when we put together our IHSWCA team state and were looking for a weigh-in exemption.

This is what I've gathered. Going through the IHSAA by-laws, before this last meeting, there was nothing to Rule 50 that said that we couldn't overbook our scheduling points.

^^^ This language appears to be a provision (labeled Section 5) for Rule 50 that officially reinforces what we already knew. Before this section was put into effect, Rule 50 could've been interpreted in a way that teams could've put together 50 scheduling points as long as they competed in only 18. Hypothetically of course.  I don't think it's anything to be alarmed about. I'm guessing the IHSAA was alerted to this situation when we put together our IHSWCA team state and were looking for a weigh-in exemption.

NickS that is exactly why this new rule confuses me.  We were told BY THE IHSAA when they informed us they wouldn't give us a weigh in exemption for the IHSWCA Team State, "to be creative with schedules"  meaning to possibly send a full of partial JV squad to a varsity match to open up points for the varsity to go to the IHSWCA Team State.  That is why I find it strange in the same breath as telling us to be creative they turn around and create this new rule that in my opinion takes the grey area out of the scheduling.

Here is how I take this-

Rule 60, I think, says you have 18 points or dual meets

you can replace these duals with tournaments, but no more than 7

that gives you 7 tournaments = 14 points plus 4 duals

so if you have any combination of tournaments and duals that equals 18 that is your varsity schedule by rule 60

if you then wrestle your jvs at a varsity tournament or 2 varsity dual meets and then wrestle your varsity at another tournament that is more than the 18 points you were allotted for your varsity season.

by the rule you can only schedule 18 varsity points with only 7 tournaments and 4 dual meets

if you wrestle 18 varsity points and then add another tournament or dual meets that are considered varsity contest then you are in violation of both rule 50 and 60 as i read it.

i read it if you are going to participate in the ihswca state tournament it has to be scheduled as part of your 18 points before the season begins which means you have to pull out of a tournament or 2 dual meets

if you pull out of 2 duals you still have to have 4 dualls and 7 tournaments to equal he alloted 18 points

so those teams participating in the ihswca team state tournament have to drop 1 tournament or 2 dual meets

if they don't have 6 duals already in their schedule they have to drop a tournament they they are scheduled to participate in

you can only have 7 tournaments to make up your 18 points

i know some teams have wrestled jvs at a tournament the same weekend they wrestled their varsity

this now be a way of the ihsaa stopping that because it could be considered over scheduling your varsity schedule

it will be interesting to how this plays out

i think the ihsaa had this in mind when the told us they were ending the team tournament and we could now hold our own team tournament

what are the consequences  of a team wrestling in the ihswca team tournament and having 18 points already on their schedule? Even if they wrestle jvs in the varsity tournaments or dual meets? that puts them over the 18 already allotted by rule 60.

like i said this will be interesting to see how it plays out and we need to find out what the ihsaa will rule on this.

they are taking the gray area out of this in my opinion

you have 18 points for your varsity by the rule, if you schedule more than that you are in violation of rule 50 and 60

thats my take on this

NickS that is exactly why this new rule confuses me.  We were told BY THE IHSAA when they informed us they wouldn't give us a weigh in exemption for the IHSWCA Team State, "to be creative with schedules"  meaning to possibly send a full of partial JV squad to a varsity match to open up points for the varsity to go to the IHSWCA Team State.  That is why I find it strange in the same breath as telling us to be creative they turn around and create this new rule that in my opinion takes the grey area out of the scheduling.

Based on Rule 50, it looks like they are fine with us using "creative scheduling" but are against us sending JV's to varsity meets to free up scheduling points.  I don't know... :-\. Maybe next year for a proposal we can try having a weigh-in exemption added to the IHSWCA team state so this rule would become a non-issue.

I don't think we should be paranoid in thinking that "Rule 50" was revisited/emphasized due to the sport of wrestling.  As long as individual wrestlers stay at (or under) their 18 scheduled points, I really don't think the IHSAA is going to scrutinize whether a school sent 2 varsity teams out on the same day or a supposed JV team to a varsity competition, etc.

We had a "Presidents and Secretaries of Coaches' Associations" meeting at the IHSAA in Indianapolis last week.  This meeting is held annually to give the various coaches associations in all sports a heads up as to what is being proposed and/or revisited with regard to IHSAA policies.  The big problem that was shared was a baseball situation that has been happening recently.  Schools have overbooked baseball schedules knowing that several games typically get rained out each year.  School "A" is supposed to go to School "B" to play baseball.  School "A" calls School "B" and says, "we haven't had any rain outs, so we can't come and play you or we will be over our scheduling points."  It also happened to be School "B"'s senior night, and they aren't very happy about School "A"'s decision.  Parents from School "B" start calling the IHSAA office complaining.  This didn't set well with the IHSAA so they looked into it.

Also in our meeting, there were two other individual sport officers who said their sports routinely send JV to varsity events as well as send 2 to 3 varsity squads out on the same day if that is what it takes to give kids the opportunity to compete.  I really think there is a definite distinction between the wrestling scheduling situation (where we are seeking to find equitable competion for our kids) versus the baseball situation (where they are cancelling contests due to overbooking strategies.)

Coach McCormick

I don't think we should be paranoid in thinking that "Rule 50" was revisited/emphasized due to the sport of wrestling.  As long as individual wrestlers stay at (or under) their 18 scheduled points, I really don't think the IHSAA is going to scrutinize whether a school sent 2 varsity teams out on the same day or a supposed JV team to a varsity competition, etc.

Coach McCormick

However, the IHSAA specifically stated that if an individual was entered in the Al Smith Invite last winter, it would cost his TEAM two scheduling points?  Confusing and mixed messages.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.