IHSWCA Team State for 2012-13 and Beyond

yogihof

Will this tournament count as two (since tourney's count 2) of the 18 max. weigh-in for the season?  If it does, how will team schedules adjust on the fly?  If it doesn't, I see this becoming a distinct advantage for wreestlers on the teams that particpate since they will get up to three matches against most likely excellent competition that will not count against their season limit.  Thoughts?

I'm having a hard time seeing how a kid from an "Elite" program can get "extra" matches that a good kid from an average program will not get.  It seems to me that this could really make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

On top of all that, what real meaning will a mid-season tournament have?  So you're the best at mid-year; isn't the point to peak at the end at Conseco/Banker's Life?

I'm having a hard time seeing how a kid from an "Elite" program can get "extra" matches that a good kid from an average program will not get.  It seems to me that this could really make the rich richer and the poor poorer.

On top of all that, what real meaning will a mid-season tournament have?  So you're the best at mid-year; isn't the point to peak at the end at Conseco/Banker's Life?

on the one hand, you are concerned about "the rich getting richer", but in the next sentence, it is a detriment, because a team will peak too early. 

Expanding your premise, this new format could help the "average" team.  the "elite teams" are peaking in December in a "meaningless" tournament.  this will allow the "average" team to blossom at "The House".

It will mean what the coaches want it to mean.  For Penn State this year and Iowa last year, the National Duals didn't mean enough for them to enter.  For Minnesota, it means much more.

At the high school level, it could mean a lot more to small and medium size schools who don't routinely qualify multiple kids to state.  Ideally, IMO, we would have the dual meet tournament a week after semi state and push back state finals by a week like they do in Michigan.

If the "elite" teams cared that much they should have been representing full strength at the current style team state.  Ihsaa does the same thing for basketball, it is just an honor thing and a good way to strengthen programs from the smaller non "elite" teams.  It also gives another goal to strive for.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.