Maurer vs Curtley

BestSportEver

This was one of the worst ref'd matches ive ever seen. Curtley really controlled the whole match. HE got a takedown in the first period that was clearly a takedown. Greg Sheaffer argues it and the ref takes the 2 off the board. Well the match ended with maurer already having a stalling call on him up 1 point and with literally 10 seconds left he was running away from curtley. It was absolutely 100 percent stalling..matter of fact it was the definition of stalling. I think even his brother blake maurer was shocked it wasnt called. Maurer is a very good athlete but he really will not beat curtley if they match up at state finals. I am not a curtley fan or a maurer fan, just a very knowledgable wrestling fan that hates to see a wrestler wrestle his butt off and control the whole match and get it taken away from him. If anyone saw the match(except mater dei fans) feel free to say what u thought about it.

had it been in the middle of the match it would have been a takedown, however, he clearly had his feet out when he secured the takedown.

on the stalling, you may have a valid point at the last 10 seconds but they never call it.

you are also wrong on curtley controlling the match.  how many times did maurer have a double and curtley skirted out of bounds.

and what about when curtley had a single and drove maurer out of bounds and they called fleeing the mat on maurer.

anyhow, just my opinion.

I've seen these two wrestle 4 times now...and 4 times...Maurer has been the victor - perhpas the most exciting match was the one at Team Regional where Maurer pinned him in the 4th OT after 2 full periods of Curtley stalling.  In fact, yesterday's match was the best he's wrestled Maurer all year. That was not a takedown, and the correct call was made.  Hats off to that reffing crew for making the correct call after conferencing.  I'm not taking away from Curtley, he is a solid wrestler, but he did not outwrestle Maurer yesterday.

Not a MD fan here.  I was sitting on the border between mats 2 and 3 half way up on the opposite side of the mats from the coaches.  This match was on mat 4.  As the td happened I thought it was a td but knew it was close to OB.  Right after the action stopped I turned to watch other matches.  When I turned back I saw Curtley's coach arguing with the ref and guessed they took off the td.  I did not know if they called if off for lack of control (which I thought Curtley clearly had) or because of OB (which I knew was close and could not tell).  If they were out then it was a good job by the refs of actually taking it off the board.  Too many times refs seem stubborn to admit they saw it wrong.

I felt the fleeing the mat was blatant and actually laughed out loud when I saw it.  Thought maybe the ref should award 2 points for it, I thought it was that bad.  I felt as though Maurer blatently hopped in a direction that did not just take him away from the pressure of Curtley, but actually changed his direction to get OB quicker.

I was glad the ref did not take Maurer's td off that was near OB by the MD coaches.  It was one of those around the ankles td's that I think should always be called a td.  I don't know if they were in or not but however the rule is written it should be wrote so that is a td. 

I saw a lot of matches yesterday so maybe I have the endgame confussed with a different match but here is how I saw it.  The stalling at the end was stalling but should not have been called.  Ref's rarely call it under that circumstance.  Unless I'm getting my matches confused Maurer got his warning with about 30 seconds to go in the match.  With around 20 seceonds to go Maurer made a good shot, grabbed the leg, bottoms out, hangs on for life and stalemate is called.  Now there is 10 seconds left and they restart and he runs out the clock.  After the type of shot Maurer made he broke the refs internal stalling clock.  Another 20 seconds or so would have been needed to get another stalling.

Overall  I felt it was a even match.

I am willing to bet if you asked both of them they would tell you that was their toughest match of the day.  Should have been a Finals match, but as we saw in ever bracket yesterday, sometimes that is the way it goes. 

It was a great match that had long since been decided.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.