Shaking hands.....

snatch single

I don't mind shaking every kid's hand. And I don't mind if they just go back to their bench. Doesn't matter to me. I don't take it personally. Part of learning to be a man is learning to control your emotions. If you have a kid who struggles with controlling himself after a loss, you're almost setting him up to fail by forcing him to shake hands with everyone.

i dont have a prob with a kid who just left it all out there and lost wanting to get out of the public eye as quickly as possible and blow off, but what i think is a real bad example is when a kid wins and beats a tough kid and the winner goes over to shake hands with the opposing coach, and that coach refuses to shake hands or turns his back to the wrestler.. bad examples but i have seen it

Yes, this is an old, stale topic at times.  However, in my experiences as a coach, both at the high school and middle school level, I have found great reward in shaking the hands of some opponents.  I can be frustrated with the performance that our wrestler put forth, but it is grounding to see the joy and excitement of an opposing wrestler come to shake your hand after an exciting match.  This is especially true at the middle school level where matches can turn on a dime many times.  This time often gives me the pause I need as a coach to realize that I still need to be encouraging at times to my own wrestler when he comes back to us and that I am still a coach and these kids are still experiencing adolescence.  (College may be different, as they are now young men, but we must all try to guide right the youth of our great sport.)

Even when an opponent loses, you have the opportunity to give that wrestler a word or two of encouragement to compliment him on a particularly strong performance.  After the meet, you may not always remember every mention you would like to give to that wrestler, nor would you likely have the opportunity to say something while quickly going through the team line.  However, and I realize this does not happen the majority of the time, if I can mention to a kid that he did a nice job running a particular move or that he works a certain series well, that can have an impact.

With the teams you see most often, if the respect is present between the programs, you will likely be more familiar with the opponent and he with you.  If that respect for the other programs is fostered with the coaching staff, the opponent may recognize that, and, regardless of how great an impact his own coach may have, a simple word or two from a familiar foe can be uplifting to some degree. 

I do not get greatly offended by someone not shaking my hand, but I find it to be a positive thing for our program to teach our kids.  I guess it is then my sincere hope that we do not see an adoption of rules similar to Iowa.

I noticed the other night that a few of the Michigan wrestlers went over to Coach Goldman to shake hands while he was sitting down and he jumped out of his seat to shake hands.  He didn't have to do that and neither did the Michigan wrestlers but to me it showed great respect from both the wrestlers and Coach Goldman to come out of his seat to show the respect to the Michigan Wrestlers.

I will shake every wrestlers hand if i have just gotten beat bad haha as in recently for me at midlands from flemming he killed me i got up shook his hand and then shook his coachs hands also its just being a good sport if you dont want to do it then dont but people will kind of look down at you but it is what you want to do and I choose to do it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.