Ethical concerns

phscoach

A question for those opinionated souls out there who are genuinely interested in improving Indiana wrestling:

What ethical issues do you see that are unique to our sport that may need addressing from time to time?

I'll give an example from a different sport.  In football, a sport-specific issue is the off-season/summer camps and how they should be run.

All ideas are welcome.  This is for information purposes only, not a witch hunt.

I dont think the real issue is ethics, the real issue is COMMON SENSE and sometimes minding your own business.  It seems that fans and coaches like to think some things are black and white and there is no grey area in the sport.  Thats the beauty of our sport dude, its like this 1.5% rule, so a kid weighs in on Wednesday more than 1.5% than what he can lose before saturday, some coaches say oops he is "ineligible" to wrestle.... common sense tells us that losing another .08% of body weight is no big deal and who is keeping track anyway?  I'll tell you who ; some dumb $#$@#$s coach who is looking for a way his kid with 15 losses can advance to semi-state so he can put in his Bio for the school program that he has coached 100 kids to semi-state....  coaches at times lose sight of what is important, as Dr. Phil would say ,"It aint about you!"  If kid with 15 losses upsets a kid with 1 or 2 losses and gets to semi-state, now that is something to celebrate!!!  do things right mind your own business and be able to lay your head on the pillow at night knowing the kids you coached had an experience they can be proud of!!! 

COMMON SENSE and mind your OWN business!!!  Good coaches last!!  Unethical coaches may get their 15 minutes of fame but they tend to burn bright, fast and then OUT!!!  Am I wrong?@?@@

I dont think the real issue is ethics, the real issue is COMMON SENSE and sometimes minding your own business.  It seems that fans and coaches like to think some things are black and white and there is no grey area in the sport.  Thats the beauty of our sport dude, its like this 1.5% rule, so a kid weighs in on Wednesday more than 1.5% than what he can lose before saturday, some coaches say oops he is "ineligible" to wrestle.... common sense tells us that losing another .08% of body weight is no big deal and who is keeping track anyway?  I'll tell you who ; some dumb $#$@#$s coach who is looking for a way his kid with 15 losses can advance to semi-state so he can put in his Bio for the school program that he has coached 100 kids to semi-state....  coaches at times lose sight of what is important, as Dr. Phil would say ,"It aint about you!"  If kid with 15 losses upsets a kid with 1 or 2 losses and gets to semi-state, now that is something to celebrate!!!  do things right mind your own business and be able to lay your head on the pillow at night knowing the kids you coached had an experience they can be proud of!!! 

COMMON SENSE and mind your OWN business!!!  Good coaches last!!  Unethical coaches may get their 15 minutes of fame but they tend to burn bright, fast and then OUT!!!  Am I wrong?@?@@

While I  I am NOT a high school coach , so I do not have to deal with the 1.5% rule; therefore, I have no opinion on the rule. I am not sure that saying use "common sense, and don't follow the rule is truly the "ethical" thing.

While I  I am NOT a high school coach , so I do not have to deal with the 1.5% rule; therefore, I have no opinion on the rule. I am not sure that saying use "common sense, and don't follow the rule is truly the "ethical" thing.

Agreed

That rule is so vague, that is my point.... some say it is alpha weight some say from one weigh in to the next some say the IHSAA gives the extra pound how can it be enforced... blah Blah blah.... we're talking tenths of pounds here, I doubt something as small as that should be of any relevance and thus you illustrate my point "rules are rules" right?  no grey area.... thats the issue here you have people who have no understanding of the sport trying to decide if what people who do have an understanding of the sport do are ethical or not.... and that is just one illustration. 

Walter,

It appears you mistook the intent here.  I don't think I would disagree with you that common sense needs to apply.  I merely asked a question for people to answer if they choose.  If you don't think there is any problem with how things are, why raise your blood pressure?

I don't understand why all the open FolkStyle and Freestyle matches are set up in the months of February, March and May.  I wish I could get my area wrestlers into tournaments over the summers.  Being from a smaller school, our kids play sports in the spring so it is hard to get them in off season tournaments.  maybe I just out of the loop and there are summer tournaments.  If there just are not any, I think they should get some going...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.