GOOD COACHES TEACH...

Browns Dad

Rivalries are a great motivating factor in sports. Rivalry will keep fans coming to high school sports decades after they have graduated and may not even have kids or grand kids in school. Coaches use rivalry to motivate their players and extract every last drop of effort kids have in them for that contest.

This is a good thing.

However, I have witnessed a very bad example from a "coach" this season regarding a heated county rivalry. During our county meet a "coach's" actions were deplorable and unacceptable in my opinion. During the course of the dual it became apparent that his school was winning key matches and would win the county title. He began to scream at our wrestlers and our coaching staff "Never!!! Never!!! Never again will you beat us while performing a gator clap with his arms and hands. He was also pointing and screaming directly at our kids and coaches at the same time. This went on for at least ten minutes off and on. He also refused to shake our kids hands after each match and at the end of the match. This disdain and blatant hatred reared its ugly head again this weekend at sectionals. This "coach" would not sit in the chair during any matches between our kids so he would not have to shake their hands afterward. He would return to the chair against other opponents and leave the chair when we were facing off.

When a person takes on a coaching position that individuals action and attitude are usually taken on by the kids they are instructing and teaching. Because even in idle moments we are teaching. What are you trying to convey to these young kids? What traits, attitudes, mindsets, and core values are being instilled into these kids by this "coaches" actions?

We did vindicate ourselves at sectionals. However, none of our coaches or our kids or parents said a word to this "coach" though it was brought up.

I applaud the way this team handled themselves during and after on Saturday! I also applaud the coaching staff for upholding the tradition there and the way they conduct themselves! That comes from the parents as well as the coaches.  There are some people out there that know how to compete the right way and be a good winner and loser and there are a few that can do neither.  I saw some folks that couldn't do either in high school or now.  As a "mentor" for our youth and it's sad! All you can do is what YOU can do and that is to conduct yourself with pride and respect and give it to the opposition and I'm proud those young kids are mature enough to do that!  Others can't and it will always be that way sadly.  Props to those SEctional CHAMPS!; wrestlers and coaches!!! That right there is being a true champ!!

I know I have posted this before on other forums here but they sometimes need repeating. My high school coach had two things to say about this type of thing. "It is nice to be great but far better to be nice." the other was " I want a team with character not a team full of charaters."

I did see a parent from the stands go over to this coach and yell out his name before the score was announced.  This South parent, in South gear, was making fun of this coach and berating him and his team in front of everyone.  This coach just looked and listened.  After the scores were announced and the teams began to leave, I also saw this same coach walk over to Wilkinson, after his team celebrated, to congratulate him and his team. 

Pretty sure everyone in that gym besides their fans was hoping North Montgomery wouldn't win. Nothing against the kids, they are very talented. Their coaches on the other hand are ridiculous. The kids are more mature than the head coach is.

Coaches can't  control parents and that parent set a poor example as well.  but I also feel bad for those kids who's coach is so immature he wouldn't sit in their corner!!!!  He was more concerned with himself and making his "statement" than  about his kids that's ridiculous, what a guy to look upto.  Coaches at a high school level should be grooming young people as well as young athletes and not act like little kids!! If he shook the other teams hand great! but still doesn't mean all the prior actions are exceptable.  I also understand the heat if the battle and the coach should be the onekeeping everyone in control instead of acting like a child

Pretty sure everyone in that gym besides their fans was hoping North Montgomery wouldn't win. Nothing against the kids, they are very talented. Their coaches on the other hand are ridiculous. The kids are more mature than the head coach is.

Amen!!! Well said, I talked to several people that's all they said is as long as north doesnt win! I hate that for those kids but when there coach acts like that it's hard not to!  I know some of the north kids and families good people but man its just ridiculous.  If he wants to be that bad guy i understand the tactic but I think he takes it too far and the kids have to be the ones everyone wants to loose not fair to them

We wrestled South 5 times on Saturday and I sat in the chair and shook (fist pound) the hands in the 2 matches that I was in the coaches chair for. We have 2 other coaches and in most cases other kids wrestling at the same time. The other 3 I was not in the chair. And your regards to not shaking hands at county, as the previous match ends, as a coach, my job is to get my next wrestler ready to wrestle, it is not for me to wait on the wrestler from the opposing team to walk over and shake hands (I do believe that I shook the hands of multiple kids after the matches and if im not mistaken, do we not shake hands as a team after the dual?).

Rivalries are tough and in the heat of the moment coaches, parents, fans will say and do things. I will say that the clap and the comment "never again" was in the heat of the moment. I will also say that every time we have wrestled South in my 2 years I have had MULTIPLE parents, grandparents have choice words for me during and after duals or tournaments. Each time I give them a respectable response and brush it off as fans being fans and its an in the moment situation and reaction.

I do not care who or what other fans do not like me. You guys on this website can slander my name and talk as bad about me as you want. The parents of the athletes that I coach have no problem with the actions of our coaching staff and that is what matters to me most. I find it ironic that other schools in our area that we wrestle find it disrespectful, i guess, for our staff to give their kids the "fist pound" after the match instead of the traditional hand shake when other coaching staffs in our area and in our conference do the exact same thing (fist pound).

We will use your words as motivation for next year  :)

Maurice Swain

North Montgomery

Head Wrestling Coach

It saddens me that NMHS is deemed the bad guys on here...after years of being affiliated with one of the truly GOOD GUYS of Indiana Wrestling...J.D. Minch!!

J.D. is one of Indiana's best ambassadors for our sport and his demeanor was always quite evident in the way his athletes carried themselves on and off the mat. 

And those fans prolly gave u those comments after u chomped and yelled at their kids across the mat!!! Are u serious??  I am unbiased fan and u have made me a south fan!  Use that motivation mo, as south used urs at sectional!!!!

I was approached and had comments told to me by fans of South last year in our first dual meet with them at County, which they were in control of the dual from start to finish, so you are incorrect Sgyorks. I am not commenting on this topic anymore unless someone has a direct question for me. I was merely defending myself and my staff after we were called out.

And I by no means condone those parents actions! The difference is U R a coach! Ur the one who is put in that position to teach and motivate And be the one who stays in control! That's the difference ur always gonna hear from fans but u should take responsibilty and be a coach not an angry fan taunting 15 year old kids

Browns dad,

You have taken a lot of shots at a person who frankly you don't even know and most of your entire post is filled with inaccuracies. Coach Swain is an outstanding wrestling coach and does a great job of mentoring his athletes. The only part of your post that is true is that during the County match emotions did rise and may have gone to far. But i don't know if you recall last years county meet when emotions were also very high from the other side and there were very poor comments directed at our staff.

As far as not sitting in the chair for your matches there are certain wrestlers that each of our three coaches likes to sit with because your are only allowed 2 coaches in each corner so with 3 coaches there is 1 left out (3-2=1), as one of those coaches i always sit with the same kids unless their happens to be a match I'm already coaching, the same goes for the rest of our staff.

As far as shaking hands is concerned during a dual one of our coaches usually goes over to get the next person ready or give them last minute advice before the match,  the other two usually give a fist bump and tell them good job some people do not like the fist bump so i guess thats a whole other issue. On a related note while i coached against one of your kids this past weekend after he lost the match he gave a half slap to our wrestler and then the official made him come back to shake his hand, he then proceeded over to our corner and didnt want to shake or hand either( which i do not have  a problem with) but i did not for a second think that the southmont staff was responsible for this childish behavior.

I will finish by saying we as a staff are far from perfect. i think maybe you and Tim Tebow are the only ones who are, so if you have a problem with the way we conduct ourselves or feel like taking a shot at my fellow coach and friend you can talk to me personally at regionals and I will be glad to hear your feelings but please do not come on a forum and post things that are not the truth.

Jerimiah Maggart

Assistant Wrestling Coach

North Montgomery

I don't want to beat a dead horse but that south kid was a kid! He did act poorly and I'm sure he heard about it, he was not a coach clapping and saying never there's a difference.  I hope that all sides can show these kids how to conduct themselves even in a heated rivalry! Congrats to all the wrestlers who competed sat!

Every school! Even north! Good luck To all on sat! Hopefully the kids can get healthy and bring the Cville sectional some respect sat!

Mont co and surrounding area wrestling enthusiast!