ISWA Folkstyle State Observations

AboutTime

Our sons first Folkstyle State was at the indoor Soccer and basketball complex in Bloomington. We were as green as the Corn I grow, before it started overheard a gentleman say we should be out of here by 6:30PM wife and I looked at each other and  both said Oh My G!!. We had only been to a few local tournaments before this. Our son wrestled three matches and was on the mat about one minute.

We were also at the Middle School State at New Castle wrestled last match at 10:45PM then 4hour drive home.

Then the Folkstyle State at Sports of all Sorts East side of Indy. Porta-Potty trailer over flowing running across the floor, little kids running thru it then stepping on the mats to wrestle.

We would not trade these memories for anything, The ISWA and our family have all grown up together. Our rear ends are a little wider from the hours spent sitting in a Gym. Our son now wrestles mostly out of the country, we would gladly sit 5 hours between matches to get to watch him wrestle.  :)

About time,

We were at all those venues right along with you just took my Daughter back to the bloomington sportsplex last year for a basketball tourney first time we had been back since our second folkstyle state there.The only difference at middle school state was my sons last match was 11:50 pm and the sports of all sorts complex I remember blowing my nose afterwards and it was black couldn't help but think what kind of air the wrestlers were breathing when they were sucking wind. ???

Anyone that complains about the folkstyle state tournament now probably wasn't around when they started holding them.  It really seems that the ISWA is listening and has made many improvements thoroughout the years.  (Examples: Real Referrees, Full Size Mats, enhanced PA system, matside pairing, splitting up older and younger kids, video of championship matches, award stand, photographer on hand..etc.) 

The tournament in the factory was memorable.  As I recall, they lost their venue and really had to scramble to find someplace to hold the event.  For all the negative things you can say about it at least the ISWA found a way to make it happen.

The tournaments in general in this state have improved tremendously.  My middle schooler is 13 now and much hated wrestling after doing it a couple years about 5-6 years ago.  It wasn't the wrestling because he did very well.  It was from sitting at these things all day with hours between matches at times.  My 8-year-old just started wrestling.  The tournaments we went to this year were pretty good and much better than they were 5 years ago.  We didn't go to state this year but I've heard mostly good things about it.

Bottom line though, people will always complain. 

I am really mad that folkstyle state is being held at Warren Central this year.

My sons first trip was to the bloomingotn sports complex, we went from there to the facility on IU's campus to the facility in the old metal stamping plant, to Huntignton. And now that he is in college and not wrestling in this event, they put it in my back yard. I could have saved thousands in gas and hotels over the years.

BTW, I sure do miss all the time we got to spend together as he was growing up. No matter where they hold it, the wrestling community wil find a way to pull it off and make it memorable. Good luck to all those that will be there.

I cant agree more this is a special time for us as well I took my son to his first folkstyle state at the sportsplex boy how time flies. I just want to thank all the coaches and my son for the great memories. Thanks to all its been a blast

There's a very important lesson to be learned from this.   If you want to be appreciated for improving, start out very bad and get better.  This applies especially to marriage.  If you are great from the beginning you are never appreciated later on.  Do a terrible job around the house at first and then gradually just do a competent job and your wife will think you are great even though you are probably just being average.  This sounds like it started out with over flowing porta-potties, long wait times between matches that made kids hate wrestling, and terrible locations with breathing hazards and has made improvements.  

If I didn't know better I would say these posts are purposefully "danging" them with feint praise.  Who gets compliments like this?  Its not like the ISWA was a new organization when folkstyle state started right?

.  Who gets compliments like this?  Its not like the ISWA was a new organization when folkstyle state started right?

No, they were not a new organization, however in the years my son wrestled in this event his age/weight group participation grew from about 12 when we wentto the 1st one to over 30 by the time he was a junior age group. This event grew in popularity very quickly. I would say that if the ISWA had a problem it was one of not reacting quickly enough to the change in participants and in finding a facility that could handle the number of kids that attended. Can they do things better sure, are they working on them, I am sure, Will they ever run an event in the same manner as the Tof C, I hope not, that is a glorified take down tourney and designed to run as many kids through it as they can in the shortest amount of time. We went to it a few years, there was some great competition, but it was not the end all be all in a way to run an event.

Just got back from WC. I too remember going to Middle School State we ONLY wrestled till 6pm on Sunday Evening, then had a 5 hour drive home. I will say that this years Junior/ Cadet event was ONE OF THE BEST that I have attended. yes there were problems, not enough help, ........ BUT it ran smooth; continous, and depending on how large your bracket was was over between 3 and 5 pm. Hats off to the staff. hopefully it will be back in Indy again next year. there were 16 mats in 2 different locations, you stayed on the same mat all day. once again THANKS to the ISWA staff for all their hard work on an excellant tournament!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.