First wrestler in Family

Devils27

Did any wrestlers this year have success in the state tournament and they were their families first wrestler.  I know a lot is said about wrestlers and their families rich tradition, but I would like to hear about the wrestler who didn't have any older brothers, cousins, or even uncles who wrestled.  First in the family and he started a tradition.  Anyone out there?

A little variation on the topic.  Who was the first wrestler in your family?  For me, it was my closest older brother who came home  from h.s. in the late fall of his sophmore year in 1974 asking our dad if he could wrestle.  It was a big deal because we lived on a farm and dad wasn't too keen on h.s. athletics b/c it took us from the fields and livestock barns.  He had grudgingly let our oldest brother play football and it was kind of understood we were allowed to play one sport in h.s.  Dad gave in and my brother went on to win a state championship in 1977 at 185.  I was hooked!

My dad wrestled for Bellmont for a couple years until he had to quit all sports to get a job and help support the family. He wrestled in college his freshman year and pinned a Michigan state champ in the wrestle off, but had to quit to keep his grades up and work enough to afford to stay. He coached high school and started a big youth program, going with him to Saturday meets and duals when I was as young as 2 or 3 got me hooked early and I loved every minute of it.

It was a fantastic program, I had guys from Mishawaka telling me Al Smith always talked about it. Too bad it got killed. If my wife and I could get jobs back there I would move back in a heartbeat and get it going again, teach all those "cheap tilts" again. I saw a lot of them at Nationals.

wow ,, i didnt know the word spread that far,,, but kids going at 4 dif elementary schools was something else,,,,, ahhh the cheap tilt,,,, i think Robles took a chapter out of Kissels book,,, i know i learned alot from him,,, shwed both my little brothers,,,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.