Last page of the Star...really

lowsingle

Print media for high school sports is almost a lost cause. The money issue and the growth of online news sources has radically changed the way that news is covered these days. While I am saddend at the demise of newspapers in cities both large and small (gotta have a crossword fix in the morning), I am grateful for this website and the information that I get from the fine people who moderate and contribute to get my Indiana wrestliing fix. Maybe that is why indianamat.com was mentioned during the IHSAA webcast of the finals and the local paper was not.

Print media for high school sports is almost a lost cause. The money issue and the growth of online news sources has radically changed the way that news is covered these days. While I am saddend at the demise of newspapers in cities both large and small (gotta have a crossword fix in the morning), I am grateful for this website and the information that I get from the fine people who moderate and contribute to get my Indiana wrestliing fix. Maybe that is why indianamat.com was mentioned during the IHSAA webcast of the finals and the local paper was not.

I'm sure a lot of newspapers covered the tournament and gave it more publicity than the Indy Star. I think wrestling is starting to get a little more credit these days. Maybe that's just me.

If print media really want to make an attempt to survive, I think a transition over to local coverage, especially of high school sports, would be helpful.  The national and international news is well covered on-line by multiple sources but the local stuff is not always so well covered.

The Star could have printed a special edition and sold 1,000's of  copies on Friday and Saturday.  Restaurants would have advertised.  IHSAA would have taken a cut.  Good for everyone.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.